Welcome, Guest
February 20, 2017, 09:10:21 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Money for belief?!?  (Read 207 times)

Bishop

• Meṁber
  • Elm
Money for belief?!?
« on: December 25, 2016, 10:03:59 PM »

This is my second time that I have taken my year and a day journey. I was living at my father-in-laws, who is a devout Christian. I tried following his religion, with no avail.

Coming back to being Wiccan, (Christianity just didn't feel right for me, I rather regret it) being a solitary practitioner I looked online for more information about how others practiced, and how I might be able to incorporate their ideas into my own.
Then I stumbled onto this site http://www.selenafox.com/ , who said she praticed Wicca. Who also charged $75.00 an hour to talk to her on the phone!?!

From what I have learned this is not what the typical Wiccan does. If one finds a mentor or teacher, they don't charge for knowledge.

Like this site, everybody helps another on their path. No reason to charge for it.

Am I wrong? (I was .03 seconds of writing her a VERY nasty email, but thought better of it. What she is charging is just a scam to me.)

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
Re: Money for belief?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »

Greetings, Bishop,

Selena Fox is a well known Wiccan elder and the founder of Circle Sanctuary, a Pagan organization that provides many services to North American pagans. She has, however, been criticized by many other pagans for just exactly the reasons you have given; it is a basic principle of Wicca that you shouldn't be charged for instruction or for initiation, beyond basic expenses such as candles, wine, etc. Certainly, $75.00 an hour just for a telephone conversation seems to me to be wildly excessive.

I'd recommend that you check out http://www.beyondweird.com/wicca/bonevsfo.html , an open letter to Selena Fox from the late Isaac Bonewits, which gives some insight into what has been going on. It seems that Ms. Fox has been exhibiting all the negative behaviours of some of the more egregious fundamentalist Christian televangelists. Other members here might have more up-to-date information; wait and see.

Blessed Be,

Alchemist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: Money for belief?!?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:11 PM »

Bishop I am sorry that you had such an experience, but you were smart to recognize it for what it is. It is sad for Selena to have come to be more interested in money than teaching. I did talk to her once about 6 months after Circle Sanctuary was founded and she aspired it to be something wonderful for all pagans. I was doing no more than inquiring into the organization.

I hope they do more than solicit money, but I really don't know.

Blessings on your journey, you will find many pagans will share happily with you.

Marisol
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: [1]   Go Up