Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 27, 2016, 05:55:11 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeling the Need to Justify Belief  (Read 115 times)

Nymree

• Alder
Feeling the Need to Justify Belief
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:01:03 AM »

I was wondering if people would like to share their experiences that convinced them of the existence of a divine/spirits/magic etc. This may not apply to everyone, depending on personal belief, but if you're comfortable with sharing I was curious about other people's experiences of these things that gave them the conviction to believe. Many people would argue that there isn't enough evidence for belief in divinities or that gut instinct and intuition isn't enough to justify a belief. I have no opinion on this at the moment, but wanted to see what others in the community thought of it.
As for some background: this also comes from a recent issue I have been facing in my personal life, one when due to a confrontation I now feel the need to justify my own belief. Although I have my own reasons for faith, they feel a little shaken now, and even though I'm sure I'll recover I was looking to reach out into the pagan community for some guidance or reassurance.

Anything you can contribute at all, no matter how small it may seem to you, will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to any and all replies made!

RavenHillWitch

• Elm
Re: Feeling the Need to Justify Belief
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »

Dear Nymree,
I was five years old, out in our meadow, and looking down into the little brook running through our property.   Suddenly, I just had this awareness, this feeling/knowing, that something  bigger and greater was with me, around me, and through all nature.   The Living Spirit, the energy flowing through all living things. And I've known it ever since.
Hope this is helpful,
RHW

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 09:12:13 AM »

Hi Nymree, It's really good to see you diving right in, well done. But, could you give us all a little introduction post in our welcome threads please? it gives us a better idea about you and how we can best answer any questions etc. you might have. We can also give you the customary welcomes, pieces of cake and obligatory thumps on the back....LoL
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Nymree

• Alder
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »

Hi Draconis,

Yeah, sorry, I was planning on definitely getting around to it but got caught up. Thank you for reminding me :)

oldghost

• Cedar
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »

Was born into it , so to me it came naturally. Have not found anything in my life to be less then positive in my beliefs.
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Amberhawk

• Rowan
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 02:25:18 AM »

The funny thing about belief is it is very personal and individual. Once I came to that conclusion I realized I didn't have to give a flying fig what my neighbors through, my family, even my spouse. As long as nobody is trying to tear it down I've no reason to even try. To be quite honest if someone asks I tell them I have my own reasons for my beliefs as they do theirs. I don't cut into theirs so don't cut into mine. I've been known to pull a pretty good "pod people smirk" now and then as well... accompanied with ignoring anything else they had to say about it. Usually that's more than enough.

All that said, I don't think I've had anything definitive enough in my mind to convince me of deity specifically but I've had experiences with shadows and noises enough to solidify my own ideas that there is something more. I spoke to my grandmother the day she died, roughly half an hour before my mother came home to tell us she passed over an hour before and she was around me for a good few years after. I didn't see her after that one time though I felt and occasionally heard her.

Different people can have different opinions about it but over all your belief is yours. You study, you experience and you decide. End of story. Anyone else can take a long walk of the short pier.  ;D
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 20+ years.

oldghost

• Cedar
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 09:59:39 PM »

Nymree , you will even find those that believe in the same Deities have different ways and rituals on how to practice their beliefs . You will find that to each person that they see and add to their beliefs that which suits their own personal emotions and what they believe things are . Some will address their beliefs we a given name while other will uses a generalized term to call their beliefs .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Nymree

• Alder
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »

You will find that to each person that they see and add to their beliefs that which suits their own personal emotions and what they believe things are . Some will address their beliefs we a given name while other will uses a generalized term to call their beliefs .

And I think that is one of the most beautiful parts of modern paganism  - that someone can just explore their own spirituality and beliefs as their heart or mind requires yet still belong to this community and be accepting/accepted.

Thanks to everyone for the replies made. I'm still happy for new contributions to the thread, but wanted to acknowledge and thank the already great replies here. Thanks everyone :)

oldghost

• Cedar
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 01:00:17 AM »

Thank you for reminding us. Sometimes people forget what started them on their path's. When there are so many new thing's being learned all the time and how long one has been doing it one can sometimes lose track of how it all began . Maybe we should have an anniversary day each year . Be another reason to rejoice?..

Nymree

• Alder
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 05:34:43 AM »

Actually, I had a discussion the other day about celebration days to mark Initiation/official "beginning of path" anniversary days. Although most people don't have a clear cut day personally, I always thought it was a lovely idea, and some suggest doing a dedication ritual on that day even if only to remind you of your roots on this path. It's a nice concept, I think.

oldghost

• Cedar
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 03:26:46 AM »

Good for you Nymree  , you could make it a day of reaffirming your vow to your path or to which God/fees you call upon .

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »

Nymree I understand the feeling of needing to justify beliefs. But there is really no need to put yourself through a confrontation. Beliefs are based on individual experiences and entirely personal. Some people will not except any deviation from what they believe is the most excepted. You would get more from hitting your head repeatedly on a wall than from confrontation. Some just have no tolerance for those that have beliefs different than their own.

All my life I have believed in the divine, but not religion. Religion is man-made and despite what many believe not for everyone. My beliefs are varied, borrowed from many places and would probably be considered nonsense by some. I walk a path that includes the light and dark, but mostly light aspects of witchcraft and I follow many Gods and Goddesses according to need. I use aspects of Wicca, I follow the wheel of the year. Being pagan has been one of the most satisfying things I have taken to heart in my life.

Nymree you make your own path, it may not be one most traveled, but it will be yours. Fit it to your needs and make it something you are satisfied with. You are the only person that can do that.    Blessings
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: [1]   Go Up