Nuked
Welcome, Guest
June 29, 2016, 12:55:18 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did the gods bring you here? Or not?  (Read 785 times)

Twixt

• Fir
  • Not all who wander are lost
Re: Did the gods bring you here? Or not?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 07:07:34 AM »

I'm a firm believer that judgement is a basic human trait. We aren't perfect, we can't be; every major religion's text even explicitly tells its followers they will never be perfect. Those who assume that they are and attempt to take the high road, though, really rub me wrong. They also almost always seem to be the ones with the most bones in the closet... As far as judging other religions by their tenets, it's hard not to. Most of the time, that's the only thing anyone outside the religion knows about it, so when followers act against what you know of the teachings, it begins to make you wonder about the religion as a whole.
Save the Earth!! It's the only planet with chocolate!!

Live well, laugh often, love much.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

KismeticWnster

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »

I'm glad this strand got brought back up! It's been interesting to read about everyone's perspective on their own path that led them here. I personally don't feel people are chosen, per se, I feel that I chose. I realized I didn't agree with what I'd been raised on and what I'd seen from the people around me in the pew. (Awesome badge, DR! and I agree 100%). It's the people who follow that teach you a lot about what each religion holds dearest and of course, there will always be extremes in any case but a religion that inherently teaches you that some are better than others and some people go this place while others can't go that place (because of uncontrollable things sometimes), I just can't hold myself to that. I believe in a balance in life, I believe in a life in everything, I believe in a celebration of all of that life, and I believe in a oneness that allows us to all make what we can of that life. And I appreciate people like everyone on this board who make this part of my life worth truly exploring and believing and celebrating!

And I agree, Ashe, I think the gods and goddesses know that certain blocks and trials will test us and teach us in a way that will lead us to where we are supposed to be if we have the will to listen. What do you think, Ashe? Were you brought here and was your path straight?
"Have courage and be kind."

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »

We do have a tendency to judge other religions by their teachings (I'm one that does ) of what their God says . We are wrong in that respect as it is not their god but the leader of their religion that really mold it in how they believe in how it should be . Guess there is prejudice even in those that says they except and done judge others .

Og I do think everyone is guilty of judging others at times, but I think we also judge ourselves more severely. It's something I try to keep in the  front of my mind in all situations, but I am totally guilty sometimes. At times there just seems to be no reason for the things that humans do to each other. This is just not a perfect world.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Twixt

• Fir
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »

Marisol, I've always believed it to be a perfectly normal thing to judge people. We only see the world through the lens of our own experience; how can we not judge things based on how we see the world? As far as judging other religions, again, it's hard not to. Like OG said, we judge other religions based upon how they are *supposed* to act. And honestly, they do it too, either within one denomination's group or between denominations; Baptists judge Pentacostals, Pentacostals judge Mormons, Mormons judge Catholics and so on. And I think this is because of their worldview; they view their religion's teachings through only one small, narrow facet, and believe everyone else is interpreting things wrong. The problem with this restricted worlview is when you either don't realize how restricting it is or you refuse to believe how restricting it is; that is where you get the misunderstanding, fear, and hate toward others. People are hardwired to fear what they don't understand, and if they refuse to try to broaden their minds, they always refuse to try to understand others.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »

I agree Twixt, we generally think that our opinions are our own. But fail to recognize that what we hear and see play a large role in the opinions we believe we have formed on our own. We fool ourselves into believing that our truths are the only truths. But as you said this is human nature.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

oldghost

• Cedar
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »

Human nature =greed , hate , predation , prejudice , wanton destruction just for laughs etc.. Not a term that fits how high and nobel we wish to be .
Rather be and animal .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »

Not meaning to sound or appear biased in any way, I think most Pagan folks are more aware of the judgement thing, and generally catch themselves before they let it go too far. I know when I start thinking that way, I do that, and berate myself for it. It does seem to be part of the human condition that will not ever be easily overcome.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »

........Or at least I like to think I try too  :-p :-p :-p

oldghost

• Cedar
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »

I don't think humans will ever lose that part of them that is the mindless primitive . If we ever do then I think that we be the end of humanity , that part they let us fight to survive will be gone forever .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Twixt

• Fir
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »

I think you're right, Drac, in that more open religions/philosophies like Paganism tend to stop themselves from a lot of the unconscious judging that more closed-minded religions/philosophies do. Something about being willing to step into another person's shoes and seeing things from their perspective, I think. And OG, I think that if we didn't have the negative aspects of being human, all those nasty traits you mentioned, we wouldn't strive to better ourselves and become something better than what we were. Supposedly, higher thinking is what separates us from most other animal species; what else is higher thinking, then, but knowing there are negative aspects to your existence and trying to overcome those with more positive aspects?

Valerie

• Oak
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »

Am not sure what brought me..I seemed to drift here gently but am happy in my skin now much happier than I have been to be truthful x
Tho my path is uncertain, I'll go where my heart leads me...because in my quest to find my way, I know I'll find myself x

oldghost

• Cedar
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 03:11:17 AM »

When all is said and done , what really is important is that those that heard the call found their way to  a better place . To bad that more that hear it fail to understand  what they are hearing .
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up