Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 19, 2014, 05:14:00 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pagan & Wiccan books for children & raising kids  (Read 5007 times)

WiccanPriest72

• Pine
Re: Pagan & Wiccan books for children & raising kids
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 06:48:02 AM »

I try to teach my daughter in such a way that she has a wide range of knowledge about different beliefs and an open mind that is willing to question and give her the ability to decide for herself. Wicca is what I know best, so is what I can teach her the most about, but I do teach what I know of other religions as well, without telling her what she must follow. Do I hope she follows in my  footsteps? What parent doesn't in a way? Will I be in any way disappointed in her if she doesn't? NEVER. As long as she truly follows her heart and mind, I consider my job well done.
"The soul of the Mage is forged in the crucible of Magic", Raistlin Chronicles, Book 1

angelmia

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »

I agree; Its been a struggle being a single mother of 2. But as you say, following footsteps and setting the examples at hand does make a big difference. I've always instilled literature, reading, expanding horizons and seeking knowledge to better define what is desired in the heart and not be spoonfed or told what to believe or what not to believe. My teenage daughter, at first, didnt understand the concept of my journey i have embarked, but the peace she has observed in me, and seeking truth, appreciating the blessings that surround us has brought her forward to close her ears to people from other religions telling her what to believe and has embarked  her journey with me. She has read and now feels the blessings within her heart...and as i told her, not doing it for me, but for herself, her identity and integrity of the heart. for truth. But knowing always that i stand by her side and that of my son, for no matter what, the love of a parent is unconditional. :)  Blessed Be!

Mitch

• Cypress
  • Mitch the Witch
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »

WiccanPriest72...you sound like a perfectly ballanced person and kudos to you for how you are raising your child...way to go!! :)
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey...
we are spiritual beings on a human journey.

angelmia

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »

Thank You, Mitch and way to go to you too!!!  ;) Blessed Be!

Mitch

• Cypress
  • Mitch the Witch
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »

Angelmia...ty and you sound like you are doing great as a Mom!!! All the power to ya, hun!
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey...
we are spiritual beings on a human journey.

angelmia

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »

Thank You, my dear Mitch, you are very inspiring  ;)...its not easy, but love is strong! Looking forward to reading more of your topics and hearing from you  :) Gentle Breezes from me to you and Blessed Be!

WiccanPriest72

• Pine
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 07:43:48 AM »

Well Mitch, I don't know if I am PERFECTLY balanced, although balance is always my  goal.:) Mostly it's a combination of my own upbringing and
having learned from the mistakes of others before I made them myself.

I was raised pretty much with the opposite approach to what I have. It taught me alot about what NOT to do.
I also watched many of my friends make total messes of their lives by getting into parenthood long before they should have
and ending up married to people they never should have been with. I avoided that road as well.

"The soul of the Mage is forged in the crucible of Magic", Raistlin Chronicles, Book 1

moonlitcreek

• Alder
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »

To add to the booklist, I think Ellen Jackson also has an autumn equinox book that's pretty good.
In regards to raising children to think for themselves, my family and I are Unitarian Universalist and here's how some of us describe our understanding of the divine:
We have an atheist, a pantheist, an agnostic, a possible deist, a monotheist with Wiccan/Pagan practices. . .the bad thing is that we all tiptoe around the atheist in regards to anything spiritual in order to maintain family harmony. . .

CelticFire

• Rowan
  • Sometimes you wake up in a dream. What Dream?
    • Jack the Ripper investigation
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 03:21:42 AM »

thank you for this, Owl. I've been searching and searching for some resources about Wicca for a while - every time I tried the local library, I couldn't even FIND the religion section. Though I do remember being drawn to one book in that section - THE ONE TIME I COULD FIND IT - when I was six and visiting with my school. I remember it had leaves around a pentacle on the cover. I hope they still have it. I would love to take it out.

moonkitten

• Orange
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »

sorry well it's just that i see kids who pick up their parents religions and traditions and voting habits without even thinking because its all they've ever known i guess and all of their frames of reference are totally warped around a predisposition to integrate thoughts and practices of a particular nature, so you get tribes of people stuck in really crappy mindsets like any -anity or -ism and since they pretty much wouldn't exist without the practice of child indoctrirnation they have to continue it otherwise they would cease to exist as a thought which people have, which is the kick of death for any ideology, so i wonder if it's kinda like a nucular non-profiterolation treaty where the ideal solution would be for everyone at wonce to stop and let the children decide on their own what to think, argh, it's sounding stupider as i elaborate upon it, not that i want to tell anyone what i think they should be doing, its just that it makes me feel head-weird, if that makes any sense, because i'm not really sure what the correct solution would look like

MoonKitten,

On my path to Wicca, I studied MOST other religions.  I have 4 children and make it a point to teach them all I know about religions other than my own.  When they choose a religion for themselves I prefer them to be able to argue their point in a well educated manner and to be open-minded of others' preferences.   

Im hoping it works in the end.  If it does, they will choose what is best for them and be able to to tell me why without getting SO passionate that they forget their reasons.  I, of course, will do the same for them.. 

i think that is absolutely awesome, we can learn everything we really need to know from our children, as the sayign goes, they see things so much more clarity than us, don't you agree?
*If it has Testicles or Tires it's gonna give you trouble.*

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:48 AM »

MoonKitten,

On my path to Wicca, I studied MOST other religions.  I have 4 children and make it a point to teach them all I know about religions other than my own.  When they choose a religion for themselves I prefer them to be able to argue their point in a well educated manner and to be open-minded of others' preferences.   

Im hoping it works in the end.  If it does, they will choose what is best for them and be able to to tell me why without getting SO passionate that they forget their reasons.  I, of course, will do the same for them.. 

i think that is absolutely awesome, we can learn everything we really need to know from our children, as the sayign goes, they see things so much more clarity than us, don't you agree?
Very true, MK, and even if you don't have chilren I've found I learn a lot from listenng to my 'Inner Child'.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

PixiePickle

• Pine
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 04:35:19 AM »

I have pretty much decided not to have kids with the history of mental illness with possible genetic markers in my family, but would be more inclined to take a comparitive religious line with any children that may come along.

I love reading mythologies and different views on things, so I guess I would leave it up to them.
If I can shoot rabbits, then i can shoot Facists.

Tiki

• Ash
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »

I offer my children information about my religion as well as other religions, and support their interests. They will make their own path; as a parent my job is to facilitate and support.

Emerald47

• Elm
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

Raising children in any religion is fine. The bad part comes from the rigid parents/family members who are so set in their ways that if that teen/adult child decides to leave the faith they were brought up in the family could very well disown them.
That is the insane part of religion--any religion.
Nothing wrong with raising your children in your faith so long as you are their primary teacher and you yourself come to accept that your child may not accept your religion someday.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »

I have raised my kids under the "All Gods are One God" ideal.  I read them bible stories the same as fairy tales, stories from both their Irish and NA heritage. Anytime they had questions we'd look up different ideas of the answers and I've let them choose what they feel makes the most sense to them.

At a very young age they all had a place on the family altar and then their own as they got older. I look at an altar as a place to lay your thoughts, hopes, dreams and troubles.  They all still will burn notes in a shell with sage.  I also felt meditation was imprtant and worked with them since they were very young on simple techniques of meditation and breathing excercises.  As well nature was, is and hopefully will continue to be a very important part of their path.

I'm not saying they aren't well aware of exactly what I believe and why.  They are all decently read and intelligent enough in the Path to argue their points.

My oldest has grown more toward atheism as he has grown older, but he still will do certain things when I do whether out of respect for me or habit I don't know.

My middle son is a very very old soul. He is a firm believer in the NA teachings of God is all around and dwells within everything.

My youngest, my daughter is still working her way around things in her heart. She went through a time of wanting to try various local churches and now is saying she is a Budhist. She's 11 she has plenty of time to find her way.

I have no regrets in my children's spiritual upbringing. Letting them go their own way is the only honest way I knew to raise them.  Always be truthful when they ask a question and you really can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:06:41 PM by Doom Monkey »
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up