Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 01, 2014, 09:23:08 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pagan & Wiccan books for children & raising kids  (Read 4443 times)

CuriousOne

• Fir
  • Sing like no one's listening.
Re: Pagan & Wiccan books for children & raising kids
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »

On my path to Wicca, I studied MOST other religions.  I have 4 children and make it a point to teach them all I know about religions other than my own.  When they choose a religion for themselves I prefer them to be able to argue their point in a well educated manner and to be open-minded of others' preferences.   

Thank you for posting this. I have two children of my own, and i would like to find a way to educate them on various ideals without shoving one or the other onto them. I am happy to know I am not alone. perhaps I should invest in a "religion for dummies' book.... :)
-The best place to begin is at the beginning-

naturalpaganmomma

• Holly
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »

Having a list of references for kids is great. Thank you so much. Also, when I first discussed my change in spirituality with my husband and kids, both of my children expressed a desire to research other paths as well. My son has a tremendous interest in Greek gods and goddesses and is part of a small group at school who likes them too. I never would have known if I hadn't discussed my feelings with my family.

My little girl expressed a desire to explore the areas I want to, so she is doing that with me, and we are learning together.

I have already told them both that they can chose whatever spiritual path they wish. I am here to help them in any way I can. I never want them to go through the confusion I went through. So far their experiences have been positive. At times, even down right hilarious, but that's for another thread.

searching

• Meṁber
  • Willow
  • Well behaved women rarely make history
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »

Well my daughter isn't quite 2 years old yet so no religious discussions have taken place. Her experiences at the moment are just walks thru the park and neighborhood, feeling mom and dads love, etc...She is at an inhome daycare when I work at the moment. Next year I will likely put her in a Christian preschool. My sisters went there when they were younger and I like the place. I may not be Christian anymore but have nothing against her learning Bible stories especially at that young age when things are still fun and not pushy. It won't hurt her a bit to learn about Jonah and the Whale or to sing Jesus Loves Me. As she gets older I hope to find a non-religious private school like a Montessori or something of that nature to put her in. As children get older religious schools and churches can get pushy about you needing to believe in everything that they're telling you so I'd rather avoid that. I don't have a specific religion at the moment so my plan will just be to raise her to appreciate nature and the divine, to look after other people and animals as brothers and sisters, and so on. If she ever wants to go to church as she gets older I won't have a problem with it. We'll just see when we get to that point. I don't care if she wants to be Buddhist, Pagan, Christian, whatever...as long as she's happy.

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

Why would you put your child into a Christian pre-school if you weren't a Christian? Do you want your child to think that you're going to hell because you don't go to church? Regardless of pushiness or not, the idea of teaching kids that misbehaving gets them permanently sent into a fiery pit (or into the abyss or whatever the popular representation is these days) is just rediculous.

Of course, this is just my opinion... Young and impressionable children shouldn't be taught to fear invisible monsters or to trust in invisible good-guys...

Speaking from personal experience, there is nothing good about the concept of a ``loving God'' that allows bad things to happen and doesn't step in to help us when we need it.
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

searching

• Meṁber
  • Willow
  • Well behaved women rarely make history
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 04:29:20 PM »

They don't really go into things like hell at that young of an age.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 01:57:14 AM »

They don't really go into things like hell at that young of an age.

Bollocks they don't. My son was at a public primary school in NSW and he wanted to do Scripture. He was in 1st class so he was 6. I let him do it. I figured what the hell, I had no right to determine what direction his spirituality might take. He brought home a little bible. I even read the bugger to him.

Then about two terms into the thing he started getting a lot less enthusiastic about it all. He got all quiet and withdrawn and I asked him..."So waddup little dude...have you gone off the whole Jebus thing?" and he said "I dont like that scripture lady. She said you were going to hell for worshipping the devil."

I told took several deep breaths and when the red had receded a little from my eyes I said to him "You tell her that your mum said the only people headed for hell are toxic cows like her who try to frighten little kids with talk about sin and devils and lakes of fire in the hope of turning them against their parents."

So he did. And he told her he would never be coming back to scripture again after that.

;D

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:58:03 AM by Scorched Eartha »
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 04:12:18 AM »

:o :o OUTSTANDING! Se, A spirited little bugger, You gotta be proud of him for that ;) ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »

Give him a cookie for me and a well done pat on the head. 8) .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »

I thought this thread could use a little  BUMP ;D
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Tokyo_Jazz

• Willow
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »

I don't have kids yet, but I plan on working on it soon.

While I was living in America, I was raised christian. When I was a kid I went to church and Sunday school. But at one point when my great grandmother died, and my mom was in pretty bad shape, instead of getting the churches support they just asked us to make a donation, and then my mother was fed up with churches and decided to believe in God her own way. Even at this time, I felt that this really wasn't what I believed in, and I wasn't comfortable with this belief. (Age 7-11)When we moved back to Sweden, I had the internet and other resources so that I could look up different things. My grandmother sister owned a Native American Shop (I'm not sure what their called, but selling different things like books, jewelery, stones, music and so on) and I often went there and she used to tell me all sorts of things about Nature, and Native American beliefs. I started trying to find my own path and I found witchcraft and Wicca. When I told my mom (at the age of 13) that I was studying to become a wiccan, she panicked and thought that I was worshiping the devil because she didn't know anything about Wicca. But I sat her down and explained to her that Wicca had nothing to do with devil and told her the basics of Wicca. She calmed down and let me do my thing, and now she is proud of me for finding my own path and happiness, and she supports me.

Of course everyone raises their child as they please, but I think that teaching your religion or beliefs to your children is very important. That's where they come from. And I do honestly think that if they don't feel comfortable with that belief as they grow older, they will start to question things and find their own way. But just because they keep up with the same beliefs as you, does not necessarily mean that you forced your religion upon them.

That's just my 2 cents, and what I plan on doing when I have children.  ;D

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »

TJ check out these post andlist of books    http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=1607.0     
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Celtic Epona

• Rowan
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 04:36:27 AM »

I was raised Christian and taught magic from birth.  The two are not mutually exclusive despite what a lot of people think.  The problem comes in when you get people who fear thinking for themselves.  My father was the head elder of our church and his greatest gift to me was a demand that I think things through for myself.  There is a saying in the Bible and it is true: raise a child in the way it should go and it will not depart from it.  I still think for myself, which has caused me no end of heartache in a world that wants you only to follow.  Sorry, no can do.  Have I resented my dad teaching me to do this?  Yes.  Life would have been easier as a mindless sheep (or so many people think). Would I change it?  No.  What in your life that came to you easily, did you really appreciate?  There is also this...  Being a sheep isn't easier because there is always going to be that moment when you have to suck down that which you know to be BS and whether you admit it consciously or not, you KNOW you just got owned and tightened the shackles on your own wrists, ankles, and neck. 

Did it ever occur to you that the reason the pagan movement is hated so much is fear?  They are slaves to a system that puts a burden on them that they can't carry and they are not able to walk away from it (because of fear of the unknown).  Hmmm....  Funny, when you consider that their own God in the form of Jesus said the same thing. 
And the greatest of these is LOVE.

Pay attention; you might learn something.  Paul Cooner 1930-1997
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up