Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 22, 2014, 07:58:45 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pagan & Wiccan books for children & raising kids  (Read 5030 times)

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
  • creating disturbances wherever I land
Pagan & Wiccan books for children & raising kids
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:54:49 PM »

In another thread I promised to locate my list of books relevant to children & Paganism & Wicca.  This list includes books about raising kids, rituals & activities involving kids and books aimed at certain age gorups on the topics of Wicca & Paganism.

Circle Round - Raising Children in the Goddess Tradition   Starhawk, Diane Baker, Anne Hill, and Sara Ceres Boore
Raising Witches: Teaching the Wiccan Faith   Ashleen O'Gaea
Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-honoring Activities for Parents & Children   Cait Johnson
My First Little Workbook of Wicca    Velvet Rieth
Farmily Wicca: Revised & Expanded   Ashleen O'Gaea
Pagan Parenting: Spiritual, Magical & Emotional Development of Children   Kristin Madden
Pagan Homeschooling   Kristin Madden
A Witch's Primer: Grade One   Lorin Manderly
Growing up Pagan: A Workbook for Wiccan Families   Raine Hill
Aidan's First Full Moon Circle   W Lyon Martin
The Summer Solstice   Ellen Jackson
The Spring Equinox: Celebrating the Greening of Earth   Ellen Jackson
The Winter Solstice   Ellen Jackson
Magickal Crafts   Kristin Madden
The Pagan Family: Handing the Old Ways Down   Ceisiwr Serith
An Ordinary Girl - A Magical Child   W Lyon Martin
Seasons of Magic   Laurel Ann Reinhardt
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush

wynturchylde

• Cypress
  • Above the world so high Like a teatray in the sky
Re: Pagan & Wiccan books for children & raising kids
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »

Wow, I've been having trouble finding sources to give me ideas to raise Aria as a Pagan, and this fit the bill perfectly!!!

I'll be looking into purchasing a few of these books, Thanks a bunch Owl!!!
Starkle Starkle little Bat
How I wonder what youre at

Due to the recession the 7course gormet meal you paid for will be replaced with instant ramen and m&ms

Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin funny but I don't know why
Scuse me while I kiss the sk

brymble

• Fir
  • Damn Fool
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »

My kids had this wonderful old classic by Amber K:
http://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Kids-Activity-Book-Amber/dp/0969606699

Of course it's out of print now and used copies are going for upwards of $50.  He had like 5 copies.  I wonder if they're still around somewhere...
It is not I who am crazy.  It is I who am MAD!

kngdragon

• Pine
  • Old Dragons Never Die They Just Loose There Scales
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »

Hay Thanks Blackmoonsowl I was looking for just these books couldent Rember the Titles though

Love your new Aveator  ;D
kngtdragon
blessed be!

moonkitten

• Orange
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:49:53 PM »

i'm not sure how i feel about this, i mean, how do you avoid this turning into something like endoctrination like with every other tradition or religion which predispossess a child to a certain predefined set of beliefs, i'm really not sure what i'll do in this situation if i'm ever blessed so i guess really i'm just thiking aloud
*If it has Testicles or Tires it's gonna give you trouble.*

kngdragon

• Pine
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »

elaborate  what you Mean??
kngtdragon
blessed be!

moonkitten

• Orange
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »

sorry well it's just that i see kids who pick up their parents religions and traditions and voting habits without even thinking because its all they've ever known i guess and all of their frames of reference are totally warped around a predisposition to integrate thoughts and practices of a particular nature, so you get tribes of people stuck in really crappy mindsets like any -anity or -ism and since they pretty much wouldn't exist without the practice of child indoctrirnation they have to continue it otherwise they would cease to exist as a thought which people have, which is the kick of death for any ideology, so i wonder if it's kinda like a nucular non-profiterolation treaty where the ideal solution would be for everyone at wonce to stop and let the children decide on their own what to think, argh, it's sounding stupider as i elaborate upon it, not that i want to tell anyone what i think they should be doing, its just that it makes me feel head-weird, if that makes any sense, because i'm not really sure what the correct solution would look like

kngdragon

• Pine
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:04:02 PM »

Well For One it makes perfect since to me and i agree it does get you mind muddled some when you get to thinking about Hard core stuff like that.

I don't have the answers myself even at my age I really don't think there is a really good answer to this question might ask C A he is really smart  ;D

blackmoons owl is up there with him also  :D
sooner or later you might get a reply from firewillow he is ok but likes deviling you a little
kngtdragon
blessed be!

moonkitten

• Orange
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:00:45 AM »

phew, well i'm glad it made sense, because sometimes or often when i reread something i wrote a while back a medium to long while after i wrote it i'm afraid i can't make head or tail of it, i guess that's part of the growing process as i keep travelling the path?

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »

sorry well it's just that i see kids who pick up their parents religions and traditions and voting habits without even thinking because its all they've ever known i guess and all of their frames of reference are totally warped around a predisposition to integrate thoughts and practices of a particular nature, so you get tribes of people stuck in really crappy mindsets like any -anity or -ism and since they pretty much wouldn't exist without the practice of child indoctrirnation they have to continue it otherwise they would cease to exist as a thought which people have, which is the kick of death for any ideology, so i wonder if it's kinda like a nucular non-profiterolation treaty where the ideal solution would be for everyone at wonce to stop and let the children decide on their own what to think, argh, it's sounding stupider as i elaborate upon it, not that i want to tell anyone what i think they should be doing, its just that it makes me feel head-weird, if that makes any sense, because i'm not really sure what the correct solution would look like

Exposing your child to your own spirituality isn't a bad thing. They would get an idea for what their parents belief system is, and how it works. The problems come up when you demand your child follow your path by using fear. Religion can be a good thing that brings families closer together if done out of love.  You give them all the information, let them explore other paths if they want to, then sit back and hope they can find peace in whatever path they choose.
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

moonkitten

• Orange
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »

Exposing your child to your own spirituality isn't a bad thing. They would get an idea for what their parents belief system is, and how it works. The problems come up when you demand your child follow your path by using fear. Religion can be a good thing that brings families closer together if done out of love.  You give them all the information, let them explore other paths if they want to, then sit back and hope they can find peace in whatever path they choose.
if ideas take on a life or spirit of their own, then it can be helpful to think of them as creetures in a sense that they have both self-defenseive precautions and traits which help guarantee their survival, benefits which they convey to the individaul who upholds them, so something like the christian mythology has a concept of hell and heaven, a simple carrot and stick, whereas islamology has the 72 virgins shtick and likely lots of other tricks and techniques to help the survival of the idea because although i only read the first few pages of the koran on page 6 it totally lays in to jews and christians and spins their belief systems to appear stupid and it makes fun of them, which, since it's younger than the bible, it can totally do since the sacred texts can't defend themselves without increasingy obvious mutation, but the overall idea is that ideas dno't fight fare and there isn't much you can do about it except for appealing to higher orders of thought, one of those being that ideas which require childhood predisposistion and indocrtination are all by their unfair nature potentially terrible ideas which wouldn't survive on a level playing feild, and of course the immediate rebuttal to that is that ideologies may make some pretense of being like totally fair and meritoligicallly based while being devious on another level entirely but that's just evolution i think, not much you can do about it but overall i think the situation would be better and more results-based concepts such as wicca and paganism would fare better in such an environment.. gah.. emergency shareholders meeting, gotta run.. sorry fot the spelling fix latre

kngdragon

• Pine
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:23 PM »

if ideas take on a life or spirit of their own, then it can be helpful to think of them as creatures in a sense that they have both self-defenseive precautions and traits which help guarantee their survival, benefits which they convey to the individual who upholds them, so something like the christian mythology has a concept of hell and heaven, a simple carrot and stick, whereas Islamic has the 72 virgins shtick and likely lots of other tricks and techniques to help the survival of the idea because although i only read the first few pages of the Koran on page 6 it totally lays in to Jews and Christians and spins their belief systems to appear stupid and it makes fun of them, which, since it's younger than the bible, it can totally do since the sacred texts can't defend themselves without increasingly obvious mutation, but the overall idea is that ideas don't fight fare and there isn't much you can do about it except for appealing to higher orders of thought, one of those being that ideas which require childhood predisposition and indoctrination are all by their unfair nature potentially terrible ideas which wouldn't survive on a level playing Field, and of course the immediate rebuttal to that is that ideologies may make some pretense of being like totally fair and methodologically based while being devious on another level entirely but that's just evolution i think, not much you can do about it but overall i think the situation would be better and more results-based concepts such as Wicca and paganism would fare better in such an environment.. gash.. emergency shareholders meeting, gotta run.. sorry for the spelling fix later

You Are Correct in alot that you are saying it is like my Granfather said long ago the it is amazing that Native Americans Believed in the Great Spirit and still do today not saying that it was Jesus but still The Great Spirit
so it all comes around weather it one Religion or the other don't Really matter one way or the other i sappose
kngtdragon
blessed be!

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
  • creating disturbances wherever I land
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »

Much of this depends on one's parenting style & how one raises one's kids.  It is possible to raise kids to think for themselves - meaning they learn how to research & make their own choices rather than following what everyone else does. Not always an easy task.
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush

Willow_Moon

• Fir
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »

My boys also like pookapages.com
There is a free ezine (PDF) that you can print out.  We have every issue from 2005 and on.  It helped them start their own little BOS of sorts.

theyork6

• Cypress
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »

MoonKitten,

On my path to Wicca, I studied MOST other religions.  I have 4 children and make it a point to teach them all I know about religions other than my own.  When they choose a religion for themselves I prefer them to be able to argue their point in a well educated manner and to be open-minded of others' preferences.   

Im hoping it works in the end.  If it does, they will choose what is best for them and be able to to tell me why without getting SO passionate that they forget their reasons.  I, of course, will do the same for them.. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up