Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 24, 2014, 08:20:56 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: What made you move from Christianity to Wicca?  (Read 6501 times)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
Re: What made you move from Christianity to Wicca?
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

I abhor the hyprocrisy and the hate that comes out of Christianity.

Whoa!  Hate much?

Hypocrisy and hate are present in EVERY religion.  Every club, gang, organization...anytime you have more than three humans in one place at one time.

Perhaps you see more from Christians simply because there ARE more Christians most places.  In my years, though, I have seen MUCH more "intolerance" from the "tolerance" preachers than vice-versa.

“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Celtic Epona

• Pine
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »

In my mind, your signature says it pretty well.   ;D

I won't say that I don't believe in Christianity anymore.  It is more that I believe MORE than any one religion's take on the whole mess.  All religions, in my opinion, take a part of the whole and focus on it while ignoring what doesn't fit with its message. 

To paraphrase something from the Bible Jesus said about the religious leaders of his day, "You make up a bunch of rules and inflict them on people when you don't even attempt to live up to them yourselves."

Hmmm...  Could be said about politics too.

So for me it wasn't so much leaving Christianity as it was discerning the wheat from the chaff.  Not just with Christianity, but with every other religion I come across.  There is TRUTH in ALL people.  The dumbest person in the world owns a piece of the real and whole truth, why would I not try and learn it?
And the greatest of these is LOVE.

Pay attention; you might learn something.  Paul Cooner 1930-1997

Carridwyn

• Meṁber
  • Alder
  • Goddess Daughter
    • Carridwyn's Cauldron
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2013, 06:44:29 AM »

I guess my response if fairly straight forward.  I was never Christian. I was raised in a family that allowed my sister and I to choose our beliefs from a very early age.  I was always extremely outdoorsy and communed with nature when I was very young. Paganism just seemed like a natural direction for me. And then when I was a teenager, I discovered Wicca and the rest is ancient history.  I am now one month away from my 41st birthday and have been Wiccan for over 25 years.
Blessings,
Carridwyn

janeileen

• Elm
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2013, 06:48:03 AM »

It is a valid point in that I am around Christianity more than any other religion or group of people. But as I learn more I will see more. What I do know is that studying Wicca, thinking about it, arranging my small altar, and writing prayers to the God and Goddess makes me feel good again.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2013, 06:54:54 AM »

Not the usual form of introduction Carridwyn, but we'll take it....LoL  ;D . Welcome to TCC, Ihope you enjoy your time here with us.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

MossFlower

• Fir
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »

I remember growing up and going to church every Sunday with only a few exceptions up until my sisters were born when I was 9. I liked going to Sunday school and that was it. I liked the music and the games but when I grew to old for that and started staying for the sermon was when I started noticing things that just didn't seem to add up to me. I can't really put my finger on why but something didn't seem right about it. I guess part of it was feeling like there's this all seeing all knowing being looking down on me just waiting for me to mess up.

Then one day after years of not going to church I went with a cousin and his family to the same church I went to growing up and the preacher spoke of preordained damnation. That really scared me to think that my fate could already be determined by an error I might not have even realized I made. That's when I really started looking into other religions again. I guess I have the movie Brave to thank for me refinding Wicca. That movie resparked my interest in the Druids and Celts and from there I found my way back to Wicca after having not looked into it for years due to school and my parents not liking my looking into those things.

But now I'm making my path in a religion that feels more right to me than any I've looked into so far. 

Alces Alces

• Orange
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:42 AM »

I got into Jehovah's Witnesses and Catholosism at times when it seemed I was looking for social structure. With the JW I got tired of the we're the only ones who are right mentality. And some of their ideas were totally bizarre. Since I left they don't speak to me now.
The Catholic church I attended was ok but after my divorce I just stopped going.
As the years went by, giving me time to think, I came to the personal conclusion that Christian religions seem to dismiss personal responsibility. Sin to your heart's content, your saved so, no matter what you do, your going to heaven. Something bad happens and your being "tested" or are "chosen to endure this trial". If you do something wrong, your wrong, period. If some bad happens, maybe you just made a bad choice or were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Praying for things to be fixed? Did this big guy in the sky do it or was it due to your own actions?
Anyway, too many contradictory ideas for it to make sense. I am in the exploration phase of this path, but what I have learned makes sense.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

It seems to me that most people who move from Christianity to a Pagan path, seem to all share a similarity of mis-direction and a lack of satisfactory answers to their seeking.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

MossFlower

• Fir
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »

That sums it up pretty well Drac. Well at least for me anyway. The sudden 180 god seems to take in his views on man and the way he's suppose to be loving but at the same time we're suppose to fear him. It doesn't make much sense to me. One of the biggest issues though is when Jesus came about. It says in the bible that the only way to heaven is though him but what happened to people that lived before he was born? Not to mention since he lived in a time before mass communication what about the people that lived to far away to hear about him? I've never got an answer for this and it's both worried and confused me most of my adult life.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »

The exact same thing used to bother me too, along with; If the Jews are G-ds chosen race then what does that mean for everyone else?

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

The exact same thing used to bother me too, along with; If the Jews are G-ds chosen race then what does that mean for everyone else?

Common misunderstanding amigo... The Jews were "chosen" to maintain G-d's law on earth.  It's not an elite thing, but rather a massive responsibility, written into the Mosaic Covenant, and the basis of G-d's advocacy.  It was that very failure to maintain that law that eventually led to the Diaspora...
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
~Thomas Paine

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »

Thank you so very much FS. Now what I want to know is, why did this not get explained to me years ago when I was questioning.

That was a question that used to bother me years ago.

Celtic Epona

• Pine
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

The sudden 180 god seems to take in his views on man and the way he's suppose to be loving but at the same time we're suppose to fear him. It doesn't make much sense to me. One of the biggest issues though is when Jesus came about. It says in the bible that the only way to heaven is though him but what happened to people that lived before he was born? Not to mention since he lived in a time before mass communication what about the people that lived to far away to hear about him? I've never got an answer for this and it's both worried and confused me most of my adult life.

Well according to my research, those who have never heard the word of God are a law unto themselves and will be judged by how well they upheld their own law.  Meaning did they still do it knowing it was wrong by their own chosen rules.  And yes, it actually does say this in the Bible. 

The way I see it, even in this day of mass communication and a global community, there are plenty of people who haven't heard the word of God because there aren't that many people actually speaking it.  They're spouting whatever suits their agenda.  As for God being feared and loved, they aren't mutually exclusive.  Happy to explain that remark if anyone is at all interested in this (don't have a name for the mix I believe) person's opinion. 

I will say this.  The God of the Bible has gotten just as bad a rap as the God/dess got during the Inquisition.  Maybe the Bible is right about something else and we all see "as through a glass dimly".  Basically, meaning that when the shades are all removed we're all going to look on The Truth and be ashamed of our back-biting because we've all been worshiping different aspects of the same thing.  Oh...  wait a minute.  Isn't that exactly what most pagans believe in the first place? *steps down off soapbox and inspects threadbare carpet* :-[
And the greatest of these is LOVE.

Pay attention; you might learn something.  Paul Cooner 1930-1997

Iolar_Dubh

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »

I can't say i moved from Christianity to Wicca, because i was never really a Christian, and i am not a Wiccan. However, i can state my story about the experience of religion.

When i was young, my family was Prodestant and Othedox, (Mothers and Fathers side, respectively.) So we attended both, alternating weeks. Really, i never noticed that much difference between the two, but i was young. I cannot deny that i did like going to church. The sense of belonging was nice, almost like a family gathering, (Small towns, what can i say.)

I also loved learning what they believed, as i love knowledge, and anything new. But i knew it was not me. I finished my first reading of the good old King James bible when i was 8 or 9, (yeah, advanced reader and all.) Then when i went to the (clergy?, really bad with teminology) to discuss it, pointing out specific points of contention, and outright contradiction, i was told i was too young to understand. As i was also reading everything from dragonlance to classic lit, i was pretty sure i understood what i was reading, with an occasional trip to the dictionary or encyclopedia. But here was a grown up telling me i was too young to understand what his book was saying.

So i tried the other church members, and got almost a verbatim answer. I was too young to understand. So i re-read it, and then again. I made notes, cross referenced, wrote suppositions, basically did a dissertation on the bible.

Again, i got told that i was just too young, and that all would be revealed when i got older.

Well, it always stuck with me, and when i got older, i did more research (pre-google days people, imagine the horror!). Then i learned that unlike what i was told to believe, the bible is a man created work. I found out about a thing called The First Council of Nicaea, when man, not the big G, came together to vote on what would be included in the bible. I can't say i was shattered, as i'd really only been curious to begin with.

That involved a talk with the (priest? minister?) then a talk with him and his wife that ended with her crying and basically saying i was the spawn of Satan. That i could have shaken her faith that badly, just by merely relying on pesky facts, turned me off to the entirety of Christianity. I still studied them, but i never went to another service. I think i was 12 at that time.

However, my entire life, i can say that i have been some form of nature religion (just still not sure what branch  ;) ) My cathedral has always been deep in the woods, surrounded by trees tall enough to blot out the sky. A 100 foot tree doesn't sound big, until your at the base and looking up. There is a whole world that anyone who denies is magic is blind, right out there past the cities and suburbs.

Its always been a part of my life. When i was 2 (so i've been told on this part) i saw an Eagle for the first time. Soaring high over the lands, free and clear of all the strife in the world. Apparently i had been crying up a fit, but upon seeing it shut up and stared as quiet as a (hehe) churchmouse. From that time all my mom had to do was give me a stuffed Eagle doll and i'd become a quiet happy child.

The first time i can remember feeling a true belonging was the first time i got lost in the woods. I was about 7? maybe 8, and had gone for a stroll behind our house. I wasent supposed to go alone, but hey, i was 7, and invincible? Right? I knew nothing about hiking on my own, and one tree all looked the same to me. So in about 20 min, i was lost, i just didn't know it. After about 2 hrs, i wanted to go home, but nothing looked right. It was also the first "OH SHIT" moment of my life.

After wandering for about an hour, i sat at the base of a big moss covered tree, curled into a ball, and wept like, well... a lost child. Then i heard the screech, and saw an Eagle. I started following it, and sure enough, it lead me to a road. When i got a lift home from a family friend, i realized that after i saw that Eagle, i hadn't felt scared, but warm, the kind of warmth you get from your favorite blanket.

My grandfather taught me how to track through the woods, and taught me orienteering, and i made many treks through the woods, always feeling safe and secure in a way i've never felt in a city.

Nature was from that point the most sacred thing to me, always able to calm, soothe, inspire, and in general make me feel good.

Hence my name, Iolar Dubh means Black Eagle, in Gaelige. It seemed the most fitting craft name i could have.

Might not be the exact thing for this thread, but fitting enough.
If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk – if you want to be happy for a year, get married – if you want to be happy for life, plant a garden.

Iolar_Dubh

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »

Oh, and:

The covenstead was closer to my house than the church was.

C_A, i love you. That was possibly the best thing i've ever read.
If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk – if you want to be happy for a year, get married – if you want to be happy for life, plant a garden.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up