Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 30, 2014, 12:13:23 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: What made you move from Christianity to Wicca?  (Read 6714 times)

Amberhawk

• Meṁber
  • Alder
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
Re: What made you move from Christianity to Wicca?
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »

For me the move from Christianity had nothing to do with paganism or Wicca at all. It just wasn't comfortable. My parents were not particularly religious but I went to church with my grandmother from time to time. I was a missionette in my teens for close to 2 years. I asked questions that got me looked at sternly as though  I was trying to be unruly or make too light of the studies. I am still not quite sure if that was really the reason or if they couldn't answer me and that irritated them too.

For a few years I avoided religion, waffled back and forth between agnostic and atheist. I had friends that were into crystal gazing and tarot reading so general spirituality still lingered around my life. I've always been interested in the scientific side of things though. When I was a young child I remember reading a lot about ESP as well as searching for 'true ghost stories' in the library and whatever bookstores I could get to. I just never actively learned or practiced anything in a spiritual sense. I guess you could say it was a process, a slow progression away from one until I stumbled across the other.

Around the time I turned 19 I started using tarot cards and researching spiritism and other related practices. I was 20 when I finally ran across a few Wiccan books in a local bookstore. I ran across an anniversary print of Drawing Down the Moon and I think I was off to the races after that. Cunningham, the Farrars, one of Gardner's books, even that Diary of a Witch... Sybil Leek I think her name was. I was lucky to find a few copies of that and the second book at an online store around that time as well. From there I started picking at anything I could get my hands on, not just in Wicca but anything from root working to high magic. I haven't practiced all of it but I do enjoy reading about things and gathering the knowledge.

I'm in my 40s now. I think I've settled out of Wicca and into a more general, eclectic pagan craft of my own now, though I do try to keep an eye on the trends.

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »

The exact same thing used to bother me too, along with; If the Jews are G-ds chosen race then what does that mean for everyone else?

Common misunderstanding amigo... The Jews were "chosen" to maintain G-d's law on earth.  It's not an elite thing, but rather a massive responsibility, written into the Mosaic Covenant, and the basis of G-d's advocacy.  It was that very failure to maintain that law that eventually led to the Diaspora...

As I see it, the Jews certainly believed themselves to be the people chosen to maintain on Earth the laws of their own god - the god, essentially, of a loose confederation of warlike nomadic tribes who inhabited the Western end of the Mediterranean, three to three and a half thousand years ago. This tribal god is reputed to have done many strange things, including wanting to keep his human creation stupid and ignorant by forbidding them to eat the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, demanding that Abraham make a burnt offering of his firstborn son Isaac, ordering the Israelites to commit what we today would call genocide, "hardening Pharaoh' heart" against the Israelites so that Moses could send further plagues upon Egypt ..... and on and on and on.

In fact of course, every people on the planet have believed themselves to be God's Chosen People, each charged with the mission of maintaining their own god's laws on Earth; the Roman Catholics, the Protestants, the Muslims, the Spanish, the British, the Americans, the Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Branch Davidians, the Solar Temple...... and each group believes, of course, that their particular version of god is The One And Only True And Genuine or TOAOTAG god, the Creator of the Universe, and all others are spurious fakes, usurpers, agents of the Devil or mere delusion.

Personally I suspect that all of them might be spurious fakes, usurpers or delusions...... agents of the Devil? Well. maybe not, since I suspect the Devil is also fake, spurious and a delusion. IF there exists a Supreme God, Creator of the Universe - and that's a very , very big IF - then none of these little local gods can add up to the minutest fraction of what such a God might be like. Since the known Universe consists of billions of galaxies each containing billions of stars and billions of planets, I think such a vast Being would be highly unlikely, for example, to care very much about what the human inhabitants of one small planet on the outer fringe of one fairly average galaxy eat on Fridays, or whether they wear hats, or what their marriage customs might be...... indeed, such a being is highly unlikely to be even humanoid, I would think.

So to answer the OP's question: as I've said before, I grew up in Britain in the 1940s and 50s, where we all, as kids, absorbed a sort of lukewarm Protestant Christianity more or less by osmosis, but what set me off on the long, devious trail that led me to become - whatever I am today - was simply making the realization I have outlined above - that if there was ever a Creator of the Universe, none of the gods on offer in any of the religions I could find was big enough to be Him. Or Her. Or It. Or, even, Them. Maybe the Universe was created by a committee - which would explain a lot of things.....

Or - heretical thought - maybe it JUST HAPPENED ALL BY ITSELF!

Blessed Be everyone,

Alchymist.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:31:58 AM by Alchymist »
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2014, 03:10:54 AM »

C'mon, Alchy...you're seeking exegesis from the wrong research.  The true answers here are in the books of Giorgio Tsoukalos.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »

Ancient aliens???... Surely you jest......

Alchymist.

(Edit) Though Ancient Aliens probably make a bit more sense than some of the other stuff. Only a bit, mind.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:53:07 AM by Alchymist »
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »

I never jest.  And don't call me Shirley...
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »

I think you jest did. But if you're Shirley not surely, then we're talking at crass purposes. And what do ex egg eases have to do with ancient aliens? Confuse, I'm thoroughly sorried.

Alchy.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »

Excuse me sir, there's been a little problem in the cockpit…
what is it?
It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Peridot

• Meṁber
  • Willow
  • Feather-brained and fabulous.
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »

Alchymist, you sound a lot like Xenophanes.  :)

Some quotes from him: "Men create the gods in their own image." and "But if cattle and horses or lions had hands, or were able to draw with their hands and do the work that men can do, horses would draw the forms of the gods like horses, and cattle like cattle, and they would make their bodies such as they each had themselves." that sound a lot like your comment. His religious philosophy was very interesting (especially considering Greek religion at the time), and he preceded Jesus by about 500 years.
"May my words, like baby vegetables, be tender and sweet; for I may have to eat them tomorrow."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up