Nuked
Welcome, Guest
March 31, 2015, 01:34:09 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you see faces of the Goddess and the God in our culture today?  (Read 509 times)

Questa

• Rowan
Re: Do you see faces of the Goddess and the God in our culture today?
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »

Very nice link Questa.  Thanks.

You're very welcome, Ashe!

Regarding what Marisol mentioned about symbols on barns:  Living in Pennsylvania, there are many Amish communities around with colorful "hex signs" on their barns.  I have a tendency to make crystal grids on them in my mind. lol  I'm sure they would frown upon that!  Below is a link about the story of hex signs if you're interested.  I never knew "hex" meant "witch" in German.

http://www.amishnews.com/featurearticles/Storyofhexsigns.htm

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »

Thanks Questa.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »

You're welcome, Marisol.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2015, 07:02:02 AM »

I lived and worked in the Allentown area for quite some time.  Many of the hexen signs DO have the Craft, (in their own way...similar to Cabin or Pow Wow), inherent in their designs.  True signs come from makers that are adept in the Craft.  Or they don't work!
And as for me, and as for me...I made my mind up, back in Chelsea - When I go, I'm going like Elsie!  Hippy Hippy Forward Hippy Hippy Hippy Shake.  It's time to do 'em RIGHT!

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »

I lived and worked in the Allentown area for quite some time.  Many of the hexen signs DO have the Craft, (in their own way...similar to Cabin or Pow Wow), inherent in their designs.  True signs come from makers that are adept in the Craft.  Or they don't work!

Yes, Allentown!  Right up the road!

For what I've seen, Lancaster and Schuylkill counties have the most Amish folk.  I've always liked the color and designs of the hex signs.  I wonder, C_A, do you know if a design means or belongs to specific families? 

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2015, 06:09:56 AM »

I wonder, C_A, do you know if a design means or belongs to specific families?

While I know that there are certain ones that some families have used for generations, I don't know if any "belong to" a family specifically.

I saw some very complex ones on my way up to Hazelton, wunst.  Since I got along mit dem Dutch so well, I asked about them.  Apparently they're "temporary" and "mission specific".  That certainly smacks of a ward or charm.
And as for me, and as for me...I made my mind up, back in Chelsea - When I go, I'm going like Elsie!  Hippy Hippy Forward Hippy Hippy Hippy Shake.  It's time to do 'em RIGHT!

oldghost

• Cedar
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »

I wonder, C_A, do you know if a design means or belongs to specific families?

I saw some very complex ones on my way up to Hazelton, wunst.  Since I got along mit dem Dutch so well, I asked about them.  Apparently they're "temporary" and "mission specific".  That certainly smacks of a ward or charm.

Love your Dutchie-fied English C_A! lol

Thank you for the links, OG!  The last one didn't work for me, but the first one was great!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up