Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 31, 2014, 06:31:11 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Celebrating Christian Holidays  (Read 4859 times)

Starrry_Night

• Fir
Re: Celebrating Christian Holidays
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:29 AM »

lol yea when i go i tend to look at the decorations than what they are actually telling me
Religion is a personal and spiritual journey to find ones self and to achieve a oneness with their surroundings.

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »

lol yea when i go i tend to look at the decorations than what they are actually telling me

Try listening next time, it's really interesting to pick out what you agree and disagree with. I have some pretty interesting conversations with the pastor there.
Until one understands oneself, any other knowledge is nothing but commentary. -Firesong

Let choice murmur in your ear and love murmur in your heart. Be ready… here comes life. – Maya Angelou

Amythestorm

• Ash
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »

I went to a catholic graduation ceremony last year for my step daughter. She ws graduating from kindergarten. I sat there and listened to the priest telling them (read brain wash)how they are in capable of accomplishing anything if they don't believe in "God". My husband quietly slipped his arm around my shoulders and patted me lightly asking if I was okay to which I responded "this conversation will continue at home".
And we wonder why kids are the way they are today - low self esteem. Nothing like being told your unable to accomplish anything for yourself!!!  >:(
"This too shall pass"
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "OH @#$%, SHE'S UP"!

Starrry_Night

• Fir
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »

to eden, i use to but they bore me now and i dont agree with what they tell me. i go because it is expected of me to go when im with my family. science disproves some of the religion and the other part of the religion has more in common with many other religions that they call "heathens"
Religion is a personal and spiritual journey to find ones self and to achieve a oneness with their surroundings.

strange_seeker

• Cypress
  • Come see your old friend, Sweeney...
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »

I went to a catholic graduation ceremony last year for my step daughter. She ws graduating from kindergarten. I sat there and listened to the priest telling them (read brain wash)how they are in capable of accomplishing anything if they don't believe in "God". My husband quietly slipped his arm around my shoulders and patted me lightly asking if I was okay to which I responded "this conversation will continue at home".
And we wonder why kids are the way they are today - low self esteem. Nothing like being told your unable to accomplish anything for yourself!!!  >:(

Me and my friends JUST had this conversation the other day... I feel the exact same.
If you live like you're dying, you're already dead.

When life gives you lemons, pelt them at innocent bystanders.

In te spero, in te confido. Adjuvame.

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »

I really dread the baccalaureate ceremony for my daughters graduation. One of these days that Baptist preacher is going to make me lose it on him. After what he said at my sons baccalaureate, then at my nephews funeral..... I'll probably have smoke coming out of my ears

ETA...... Because I couldn't have screwed that one up any worse. No, I'm not drinking. LMAO
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:16:02 AM by lilpnkbnny »
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

Em.O

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »

I know I'm a little young to be thinking about raising children and such but well, I have thought about it haha. I always figured I would do Christmas more for the family because, well, it's a time for family to get together and give presents and gain a bit of weight and whatnot, and I mean, I'm not Christian but Jesus was still a pretty cool guy regardless of what labels are associate with him. So I guess I would explain it to them and everything, and I guess I would kind of combine Christmas and Yule together because, well, who doesn't like decorating trees and getting presents? To be honest, I even like setting up the nativity scene. That's always has been and still is my "job" at Christmas so I feel kind of responsible for it haha. I think I would probably be one of those parents who explains all the different beliefs and customs of so many different cultures (well, the ones I actually know anyway) and maybe try to incorporate them in some small way together, especially since, as we were learning in art class, almost every culture has some "festival of lights" as my teacher calls it, around that time of year. Some of them I'd never even heard of but they had such pretty decorations and interesting customs, I wouldn't mind doing that.
-I want to be reborn as an ocean-

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »

Look up "the Secret Teachings of All Ages" by Manly p. Hall.  Also the origins of the decorations and even the creche.  Christmas is not about the birth of the Son, it is about the birth of the Sun.
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

gingerberrycc

• Fir
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »

With the "holidays" coming up, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I usually celebrate Yule at home by myself (maybe my boyfriend will come over to exchange a gift or share some cookies) and then celebrate "Christmas" with my family in a secular way (except for bowing my head when my uncle says grace).

I don't mind doing things this way. Actually, I like celebrating Yule by myself in a quiet, intimate setting with God and Goddess and then a few days later I get to feel the spirit of the holiday with my family. It allows me to reflect on my personal life first, and then on my relationships/family.

I would like to add another question (which you can feel free to move to a different spot if it makes more sense to go there). I've been thinking a lot about the phrase that seems to get a few Christians riled up: "Happy Holidays!" What are your thoughts on being wished a hearty "Merry CHRISTmas"?

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »

I don't sweat it, but then I see christ as yet another horus, mithras, dionisus, krishna, etc.  It's the same story, who is in the manger doesn't matter if YOU understand what it means.  What gets me is the whole US against THEM mentality which goes counter to the messages of both (or many) religions.
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

Betsy

• Holly
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »

My husband and I take the position that regardless of your belief, the things Jesus taught are still good general behavior guidelines. So, while we don't teach our daughter that if she doesn't follow specific rules she's going to burn in hell for all eternity, we do try to teach her to love her neighbor and care for others etc. So at our house the christmas tree and family celebrations are used to emphasize the "spirit" of christmas and the joys of giving and love of family.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »

I don't sweat it, but then I see christ as yet another horus, mithras, dionisus, krishna, etc.  It's the same story, who is in the manger doesn't matter if YOU understand what it means.  What gets me is the whole US against THEM mentality which goes counter to the messages of both (or many) religions.

This, this, THIS, +100.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »

Look up "the Secret Teachings of All Ages" by Manly p. Hall.  Also the origins of the decorations and even the creche.  Christmas is not about the birth of the Son, it is about the birth of the Sun.

Good stuff, here...
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »

My husband and I take the position that regardless of your belief, the things Jesus taught are still good general behavior guidelines. So, while we don't teach our daughter that if she doesn't follow specific rules she's going to burn in hell for all eternity, we do try to teach her to love her neighbor and care for others etc. So at our house the christmas tree and family celebrations are used to emphasize the "spirit" of christmas and the joys of giving and love of family.

Beautifully put... that is, after all, what being a Christian is all about; nothing more and nothing less.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
~Thomas Paine

gingerberrycc

• Fir
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »

I understand what everyone has said about Christmas being about the concepts and ideas behind the holiday, not necessarily Christianity itself, but I feel I need to clarify my question. I'm not talking about being wished a "Merry Christmas" from people who realize that we might celebrate in different ways, I'm talking about the people who vehemently refuse to use the "politically correct" phrase "Happy Holidays" instead, and proclaim that they are putting Christ back in Christmas. Sometimes I just want to wish these people a "Happy Solstice!"

It's not the fact that these people wish me a Merry Christmas, it's the fact that they refuse to show tolerance for the beliefs of others. I see words as having power, and the intent behind those words having much greater power. So when the intent behind the words (shown through their previous interactions with me) is for me to have a merry Christian Christmas and accept Jesus as my savior, I feel obligated to show the other point of view to them through my words (Happy Holidays!)

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant! ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up