Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 25, 2014, 01:11:13 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Celebrating Christian Holidays  (Read 4788 times)

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
Re: Celebrating Christian Holidays
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »

I looked at my kids this year and said this... "You claim to be atheist, you are Christian but dont even go to church, and you are doing nothing with your life except living the party life of a 20 yr old(which he is), so unless you start a coat drive for the homeless, work at a soup kitchen, or give up all your worldly possessions, don't expect the ridiculous amount I usually spend on Christmas because I sure as hell am not christian and none of you are acting the part either.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:55:19 AM by lilpnkbnny »
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

Rowan Coronet

• Cypress
  • I'm in UR quantum box. Maybe.
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 06:21:20 AM »

Oooo good one LPB!  A tad off topic, but I went to my great uncle's funeral yesterday, it was in a Baptist church. I did recite the 23rd Psalm, and bowed my head and heard the prayers and offered up an "amen" or two. I also asked the Lord and Lady to take his hand and show him the way to the Summerlands, silently, of course. Does this make me Baptist? No. Nor does celebrating any of the so-called Christian holidays make one a Christian.  I will be cooking a feast for Christmas for the family here at our home. To me, as others have said, this is a time to celebrate family. I do have a Christmas tree, I like shiny things :D But I do not consider myself to be a Christian. My BF and I are both Pagan, and still enjoy the outer wrappings of the holidays. Nothing wrong with that.
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. Kahlil Gibran
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan
Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. Roger Miller

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 08:58:07 AM »

I looked at my kids this year and said this... "You claim to be atheist, you are Christian but dont even go to church, and you are doing nothing with your life except living the party life of a 20 yr old(which he is), so unless you start a coat drive for the homeless, work at a soup kitchen, or give up all your worldly possessions, don't expect the ridiculous amount I usually spend on Christmas because I sure as hell am not christian and none of you are acting the part either.

And yea, verily, the multitude of applause smilie thingies assembled before her!
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 08:58:34 AM »

We celebrate Yule.

With...

A SHRUBBERY!
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

MissTree

• Hawthorn
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »

Nice! *high five*

Starrry_Night

• Fir
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 11:47:35 AM »

My father's side celebrates Christmas b/c they are "Christian" but my mother's side just decorates and gets together. Presents are becoming the main reason why children want to celebrate Christmas. Presents are just possessions that when you die are left here on Mother Earth, not with your spirit. Most Christian holidays nowadays are commercial and have lost their designated meanings. It really shouldn't matter what holiday you celebrate as long as the meaning behind it is YOUR path.
Religion is a personal and spiritual journey to find ones self and to achieve a oneness with their surroundings.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »

I've struggled with this too.  My daughter is 5, but I'm a single mom living with my Christian parents.  I feel like I'm still in "the broom closet", b/c they both KNOW I'm Wiccan, but don't understand it & it makes it hard to celebrate any holiday.  But, I want my daughter to learn both traditions & decide for HERSELF which path is right for her.  It's irritating though to hear my mom tell my daughter that "Christmas is Jesus' birthday & he's so nice that he doesn't want presents, but for us to have them".  I'm hoping life will be a little less complicated when the Goddess & God bless me with the finances to have my own home.  Soon, I hope....I'm going crazy here!!  LOL

Blessed Be
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »

I celebrate both Wiccan holidays and Christian holidays.

You can observe a holiday and not practice the religious meanings behind them.

ejfinch

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2010, 09:11:43 AM »

I celebrate both Wiccan holidays and Christian holidays.

You can observe a holiday and not practice the religious meanings behind them.

Very true. There is no reason that you cannot simply enjoy time with family and friends and good food without acknowledging the religious significance. I've been doing it for years.

CuriousOne

• Fir
  • Sing like no one's listening.
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »

I'm happy to see that so many feel that celebrating christmas and other holidays doesn't go against their beliefs, no matter what they believe. I want to be able to teach my kids about various religions so that they don't have a one sided opinion as I had growing up. however, i already know that what I teach them will be biased to my own beliefs. I'm seriously considering taking a religion class in an upcoming semester to better acquaint myself with religion.

I'm always pleased to read that religions are often representations or adaptations of previous thoughts (like Christmas) and I often wonder if a devout Christian knew that christmas and easter were adaptations of a pagan holiday, what would they think?

I remember reading parts of beowolf or the odyssey (I can't remember which- I'll have to look it up) in an early history class and there are several similarities between situations in this story and the bible (like the flood...) Interesting. I hate that i can't recall the specifics. I'll have to find it again. Hmm...
-The best place to begin is at the beginning-

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »

Actually the story of the flood is in many different mythologies, not just Christian mythology.

Oh and I actually just wrote an article on this subject if you want to check it out.  Just click the link in my signature and go to the (currently) top article under my bio, "Should pagans celebrate Christmas?"  I talk about my own family and how we balance everything.  :)
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

CuriousOne

• Fir
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »

Actually the story of the flood is in many different mythologies, not just Christian mythology. Oh and I actually just wrote an article on this subject if you want to check it out.  Just click the link in my signature and go to the (currently) top article under my bio, "Should pagans celebrate Christmas?"  I talk about my own family and how we balance everything.  :)

fabulous! off to check it out... ty :)

Kypress

• Hawthorn
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »

I'm happy to see that so many feel that celebrating christmas and other holidays doesn't go against their beliefs, no matter what they believe. I want to be able to teach my kids about various religions so that they don't have a one sided opinion as I had growing up. however, i already know that what I teach them will be biased to my own beliefs. I'm seriously considering taking a religion class in an upcoming semester to better acquaint myself with religion.

I'm always pleased to read that religions are often representations or adaptations of previous thoughts (like Christmas) and I often wonder if a devout Christian knew that christmas and easter were adaptations of a pagan holiday, what would they think?

I remember reading parts of beowolf or the odyssey (I can't remember which- I'll have to look it up) in an early history class and there are several similarities between situations in this story and the bible (like the flood...) Interesting. I hate that i can't recall the specifics. I'll have to find it again. Hmm...
I still celebrated the Christian way for a while, but it's sort of been bothering me these past few years.  I've been meaning to bring it up to my minister friends to see how they think about it.
I may be a Christian, but I'm not going to shove my faith down your throat.  There's a difference between religion and faith, and I'm tired of cults trying to claim they are a religion.
Blogs: 
http://kypressdesigns.blogspot.com   (crafts)
http://lifeofmamah.blogspot.com  (life)

CuriousOne

• Fir
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »

I still celebrated the Christian way for a while, but it's sort of been bothering me these past few years.  I've been meaning to bring it up to my minister friends to see how they think about it.

I'm actually very curious about the answer some may give to this question. However, I am not interested in starting a heated debate on something of which I have very little knowledge, so I'll just keep wondering. If you get around the bringing it up, please post. I am so very curious. :)

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »

I went to the late Christmas Eve church service with my MIL (boyfriend didn't go, he was sick, as was his dad) and it was quite beautiful. Other than getting told off by Jesus it was really fun and uplifting. Candlelight service is by far the best time to go to a Christian church.
Until one understands oneself, any other knowledge is nothing but commentary. -Firesong

Let choice murmur in your ear and love murmur in your heart. Be ready… here comes life. – Maya Angelou
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up