Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 29, 2014, 01:50:57 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Celebrating Christian Holidays  (Read 4824 times)

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
Celebrating Christian Holidays
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »

I was just curious if anyone here feels wrong to celebrate Christian holidays?? I was thinking the other day er.. week when it was getting close to Easter that I don't know if I would want my children to celebrate these holidays with meanings that I don't believe in... 

I would also feel pretty bad though if they hear of other kids getting presents and such... I don't want to control their religion, but it feels wrong celebrating and teaching something I dislike.

???
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." -C.B.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
Re: Celebrating Christian Holidays
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »

In my house we celebrate both Christian and Pagan holidays. I see nothing wrong with it. Giving kids all the information they will need to eventually make their own decision, to me, is a good thing. Just because I participate in the festivities does not mean I share in those beliefs.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
  • Give the Gift of Love...Volunteer!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »

I suppose it depends on what you mean by celebrate.  I see holidays as an excuse for a family get together and good food.  I don't celebrate any holiday's religious aspects.  I do, however, find the time to thank, honor, and remember those that serve and served our country, especially on those days set aside in their honor.  I make it a point to shake the hand of and sometimes give a hug to those in uniform.  Their commitment and sacrifice means everything to me.  THANK YOU!!
We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

FireWillow

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »

I don't necessarily feel it is "wrong," but I see no point in celebrating Christian holidays as a Wiccan.

My holidays as a Wiccan are every bit as festive, if not more so, than the holidays of Christianity, mainly because I have a connection to the meaning behind them.  On Ostara, we still color eggs.  The Ostara Hare show up on the eve of the equinox and hides eggs and leaves baskets.  We feast and discuss the egg's significance on the holiday and the meaning of the holiday itself.

Santa still comes by on the eve of Yule to deliver presents.  There is a gift exchange as well as a feast, and we discuss the events leading up to and surrounding the birth of the God and mark the beginning of the return of light.

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »

I do agree with the giving them all the information they need to know to choose their own path.  Maybe since I was raised in a forceful Christian home, I just kind of dislike the Whole religion and don't want to be associated with it...

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »

When you really look at it, all Christian holidays that I can think of have a basis in some pagan path from the past. They've simple attempted to give pagan holidays their own slant on meaning.
I don't "celebrate" any Christian holidays per say. However, I do partake of the get togeathers, parties, and family gatherings and try to keep it in my mind the origins of the holiday at hand.
But then, I don't "celebrate" the wheel either as I don't follow a Celtic or Wiccan path.

If you feel it's wrong to celebrate....say Christmas. Don't feel bad. I'm sure no Jew or Muslim would fault you for it. And if you do want to celebrate it, go for it. It's all personal choice, what we as individuals feel comfortable with.

Wild Kitteh

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:27:12 AM »

I taught my children that ALL the Christian Holidays were actually re-worked Pagan Holidays and as such we "celebrated both". They now follow their own paths; not being tied to any religion other than a deep respect for Family, Friends, and Elders (of which your returned soldiers are included) That was my take on the dilema and it has proven good with my children.

How they raise theirs is yet to be seen.

Unfortunately your Ostara here in the Southern Hemisphere (we get 2 growing seasons) is not much more than a Chocolate Festival...But the BEST bit is that it is spent with Family!! It is a bit tricky trying to do Samhain @ Easter....

FireWillow

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:03:07 AM »

I taught my children that ALL the Christian Holidays were actually re-worked Pagan Holidays and as such we "celebrated both".

All of them?  Are you certain?  What re-worked pagan holiday is Epiphany?  Maundy Thursday?  Good Friday?  Pentecost Sunday?  Advent?

It is a bit tricky trying to do Samhain @ Easter....

Why would someone "do" Samhain at Easter.  I see absolutely no correlation on the Wheel.  Your Samhain in the southern hemisphere this year is May 5/6 (check local listings) and Easter was April 4.  That's a month apart, and they pretty consistently remains so any year, as Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox, which means the latest it can possibly fall is April 25, and Samhain takes place sometime during the first 7 days of May.  ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:10:06 AM by FireWillow »

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »

Do you feel that celebrating the different holidays makes it somehow automatic that you then practice the religion?  As you can see, there are both christian and secular ways to celebrate them.  Choose the way that fits your family best and make no apologies.
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »

Do you feel that celebrating the different holidays makes it somehow automatic that you then practice the religion?  As you can see, there are both christian and secular ways to celebrate them.  Choose the way that fits your family best and make no apologies.

More than likely, a religion has their own holidays.  So if I were to celebrate Christmas it would be participating in that religion.  Yes?  I know that they were Pagan holidays, but Dec. 25th is Christmas that Christians celebrate! As is Easter.  I don't want to celebrate that.  I just really oppose Christianity at the moment! I do suppose it may change as my knowledge on religion grows...

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »

More than likely, a religion has their own holidays.  So if I were to celebrate Christmas it would be participating in that religion.  Yes?   I know that they were Pagan holidays, but Dec. 25th is Christmas that Christians celebrate! As is Easter.  I don't want to celebrate that.  I just really oppose Christianity at the moment! I do suppose it may change as my knowledge on religion grows...

No. In my home we have three different beliefs. My Sweetie is Russian Orthodox, his Easter and Christmas is on  different dates; my sons and the rest of our families and friends are Christian, they have different dates; I am Wiccan, I have different but similar holidays on different dates. We celebrate all three, each honoring their own beliefs. Just because I cook a Christmas feast for my Sweetie on Jan. 7th to help him celebrate Christmas does not mean I embrace his beliefs or religion. It means I respect them.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:54:32 PM »

So if I were to celebrate Christmas it would be participating in that religion.  Yes?

Ah....no!. By enjoying Christmas, I'm participating in the commercialized seasonal family get together. If I went to mass, then I'd be participating in the religion.

Raine Morgaine

• Fir
  • wandering the path
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »

We hardly ever celebrated the Christian holidays at home when I was little. Christmas meant presents and Easter meant candy. ;) Nothing more than that. I was raised atheist, to take everything religious with a big grain of salt. Probably because my mother's side of the family were/are strongly devoted Catholics, and she disagrees with the whole religion. (She is also an ethnologist and social anthropologist, and has a great interest in shamanic traditions, plus she's read a number of books on Wicca. :) )

I don't feel wrong celebrating this way. What says you can't have a bit of fun with everyone else? A lot of people who celebrate aren't part of the religion anyway, as far as I know. I do try to make it a bit more special when celebrating Wiccan holidays, because that is the religion I follow, and of course it holds more spiritual value for me.

Just my 2p. ;)
Merry Meet and Merry Part and Merry Meet Again!

Keysol

• Ash
  • "Words without thoughts never to heaven go"
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 01:47:26 AM »

In my household, we decided to celebrate both Christian and Pagan holidays. Taz is responsible for the Pagan ones and I am responsible for the Christian ones.

I like doing it this way because it gets both of us researching about something unfamiliar. Even though it's just the two of us, we enjoy the process of it all. We each take the responsibility to plan meals that are traditional to the holiday as well as traditional activities.

I have a healthy respect for the Christian religion....I actually find it very interesting and beautiful. Taz, though it took some time, has warmed up to paganism enough to even consider himself more pagan then Christian, but we both believe it's important not to loose touch with one's spiritual roots, whatever those may be.
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »

No. In my home we have three different beliefs. My Sweetie is Russian Orthodox, his Easter and Christmas is on  different dates; my sons and the rest of our families and friends are Christian, they have different dates; I am Wiccan, I have different but similar holidays on different dates. We celebrate all three, each honoring their own beliefs. Just because I cook a Christmas feast for my Sweetie on Jan. 7th to help him celebrate Christmas does not mean I embrace his beliefs or religion. It means I respect them.

What would you do if they did not have different beliefs though??  Say, you were all Wiccans.  Would you still celebrate those holidays for your kids sake?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up