Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 22, 2014, 07:02:44 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Celebrating Christian Holidays  (Read 5722 times)

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
Re: Celebrating Christian Holidays
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 01:35:12 PM »

What would you do if they did not have different beliefs though??  Say, you were all Wiccans.  Would you still celebrate those holidays for your kids sake?

I can't honestly say as that was not the case when I was raising the boys. I believe I probably would have to a certain extent. Not the religious aspects but the celebratory ones; family, friends, good reason for Uncle Dick to get hammered, etc.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »

... good reason for Uncle Dick to get hammered, etc.

LoL!! That is horrible!! =p
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." -C.B.

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »

LoL!! That is horrible!! =p
Oh, I'm pretty sure there is one in every family. My dad and I used to take bets every Thanksgiving on how long it would take one of my uncles to get so drunk he started falling down...
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Rhapsody

• Fir
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 03:21:27 PM »

I only celebrate wiccan holidays with my children. Their dad and I are divorced so they celebrate christian ones with him.  My current husband is christian also, but while I respect his beliefs, I do not feel the need to teach my children something I do not believe in.  My children think christmas is for presents and easter is for candy, nothing more.  I teach them the stories and meanings behind the wiccan holidays though and I do not feel that they are left out as the holidays are full of crafts, food and family and presents on yule.  I put a plastic culdron under the tree instead of stockings.=)

color edit for visibility
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:55:49 PM by FireWillow »
I am a daughter of the Goddess, however I am only human. I may stray from my path but her loving arms always bring me back.  Blessed be.

strange_seeker

• Cypress
  • Come see your old friend, Sweeney...
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »

I celebrate Christian holidays because that's what I grew up with, and I don't have much of a choice. I can't very well celebrate my Wiccan holidays since no one in my family knows I am. (They'd disown me.)
If you live like you're dying, you're already dead.

When life gives you lemons, pelt them at innocent bystanders.

In te spero, in te confido. Adjuvame.

MissTree

• Hawthorn
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »

I attend the Thanksgiving & Christmas get-togethers in my family. Some years, I host it. For me, it's not about christmas. I look at it as family time and plan my solitary Yule celebration for a different day.

FireWillow

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »

I celebrate Christian holidays because that's what I grew up with, and I don't have much of a choice. I can't very well celebrate my Wiccan holidays since no one in my family knows I am. (They'd disown me.)

Why would they have to know that you're celebrating them?

You do know you needn't have a fancy ritual to honor the Goddess and God, yes?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:40:12 PM by FireWillow »

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »

I don't see a problem in celebrating them. My boyfriend is (at least for now) Lutheran. He celebrates my holidays with me, why wouldn't I do the same for him?
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Hjolmaer

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 08:18:08 AM »

Give and take is good for a relationship, EG.

To SS: As Firewillow said, you can recognize and observe your holidays.  Just look around, see what you can do.  Decorate a bit for it.  Most people saw my Yule decorations last year, and thought they were Christmas decorations.  They double either way, really.

Or, you can just internalize it.

sparrowhawk

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »

I don't have children, but I think it is important for children to celebrate with their parents as well as their friends. My neighbor is Wiccan and she has 2 young boys. They celebrate both as her husband and his family are christian, but they understand what mommy believes and why she believes it. They each even have a cauldron...how cute is that?

I, personally, have the joy of a supportive family which enjoys Sabbat meals with me and thinks my holiday crafts are beautiful. On their holidays, I do the same out of respect for them.

Kypress

• Hawthorn
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 12:08:01 PM »

I want to teach my daughter (and any future children we have) about as many religions as we can, holidays included.  While my family and myself are christian, my family is more churchians.  I'm under the impression that Jesus was tolerant and didn't want a religion (somewhere in that darned book, because I've read it before) and would be VERY upset with how "christians" act.  I am wanting to learn more about Wicca and Paganism so that way I can make my own decision too, but I plan on celebrating any darn holiday that I come across (I like food, okay, and any reason to have family time is a plus)
I may be a Christian, but I'm not going to shove my faith down your throat.  There's a difference between religion and faith, and I'm tired of cults trying to claim they are a religion.
Blogs: 
http://kypressdesigns.blogspot.com   (crafts)
http://lifeofmamah.blogspot.com  (life)

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »

Christianity is part of the culture and history of Western Civilization, whether you like it or not, and I see no problem with celebrating it even if you do it in a purely secular way, like I do.

Hell, last night I was marching around town singing "viva la Suisse" for National Switzerland Day, and I've only been here 5 weeks.  Never turn down the chance for a holiday and a bit of fun.
Like you, but with poor impulse control

Edward Collett

• Cypress
  • Pride <3
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »

I simply find that christian holidays are good excuses to get off work, see the family, eat some good food, and have fun.  I don't think that celebrating the Holiday means you're practicing Christianity, it just all depends on what you feel or think during the holiday.  If you celebrate Christmas and praise Jesus Christ and sing the Biblical songs, then yes, you are some-what practicing Christianity but that still doesn't mean you are exactly.  If you sing the songs or praise the bible on the holiday but don't exactly accept, believe, or practice what you're preaching it doesn't mean that you're taking part in Christianity.  You aren't necessarily being honest with yourself, but you also aren't taking part.

Now, if you preach the bible and Jesus on Christmas (I'll continue with that example) and you believe it, accept it, or practice it then yes, you are taking part in Christianity.

I just use it as an excuse to get free stuff, food, and to see my family.

Kypress

• Hawthorn
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »

Xmas is in the dictionary :)   I just wanted to write this here :P
I may be a Christian, but I'm not going to shove my faith down your throat.  There's a difference between religion and faith, and I'm tired of cults trying to claim they are a religion.
Blogs: 
http://kypressdesigns.blogspot.com   (crafts)
http://lifeofmamah.blogspot.com  (life)

WiccanZombie

• Alder
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »

Just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth.  I still attend family gatherings for holidays I don't celebrate.  Mainly because my family is so scattered that I only get to see them at Christmas etc.  I will say this much, I was asked to say grace exactly once.... after that they magically seem to skip over me when it comes time to bless the meal.  I don't hide my beliefs, nor do I fake belief in things.  This may not work for everyone, but for me in my situation it does. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up