Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 01, 2014, 04:15:36 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rift between Patron and Path?  (Read 287 times)

TrickOfTheMoon

• Pine
  • No, the death threats are common in my hometown!
Rift between Patron and Path?
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »

Not sure this should go here, but this was the place of best fit.

Lately I've been noticing a great rift between my path and my Patrons.

My patrons are of Greek origin (Thanatos and Hypnos), and as such they bring to me a connotation of structural order, a focus on mankind. They remind me that everything will happen in it's due time, that the natural order cannot be struggled against, and that existence brings us through a cycle of life and death.

However, the path I feel most called to seems to conflict with me. I feel a strong calling to a more Celtic path. I have felt the call of Celtic Shamanism. Within practice gods of Norse origin make themselves more apparent to me (with the exception of my Patrons). Even the way I show respect and fidelity to the Gods, the way it makes sense to me, is strongly Celtic. (Side note; I am aware that Norse and Celtic do not mean the same thing. The two, in my mind, have much more a link than either of the individuals would with Greek practices and deities.)

This raises a few conflicts within my mind. Is the calling I am faced with a farce, or an invention of my mind? Could I be, as one tactful member on this forum put it, a McWiccan, meaning I am pulling together separate practices which in themselves are not compatible? Or am I doing just fine, and the problem is all in my head?

Any insight onto the situation would be highly valued.
Depression is a side effect of dying. Everything is, really.
--John Green, "The Fault in Our Stars"

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Rift between Patron and Path?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »

I believe many seekers change their patronage as they proceed along their paths. it's part of the growth. You may follow one way for a while and find later that your perceptions alter a little or that the path you are following doesn't quite fit anymore; so a change is quite appropriate to fulfil the needs of your growth.

Someone once illustrated ages ago that we are all making our way to the same ultimate goal/meadow. there are many paths that can be taken through the woods to reach that meadow, and from many different directions. But the end is the same and we all get there eventually.

If following a Celtic tradition aids you or fits you better, then who can gainsay that?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »

Keep in mind a word you've probably seen in your reading...ARCHETYPE.

Deiforms in Greco-Roman pantheons have correspondent deities in other lineups...some ideas are universal...life, death, lightning, rain.  Earth & Air & Fire & Water.

Mixing and matching deities in a given rite is not a good idea unless you are V E R Y familiar with ALL aspects of said deity.  You might have an Egyptian g-d, no worries.  BUT...picking a g-ddess from an antagonistic culture might prove problematic.

As for patrons, well, if they're there for personal inspiration as opposed to a particular spell then you've not much to worry about.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »

You're mentioning of mixing Deities brings to mind a discussion that was held before, somewhat similar I think C_A. It might even have been you that said it then also. I'm going to have a root around and see if I can find that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Celtic Epona

• Rowan
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »

I personally don't have a patron as you call it.  I have a god and a goddess.  Each has certain qualities according to what I know from my own path.  As to a name for each...  well...  god/goddess/lord/lady/father/mother works for me.  Everyday they reveal more of themselves to me and my understanding of them becomes more.
And the greatest of these is LOVE.

Pay attention; you might learn something.  Paul Cooner 1930-1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up