Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 30, 2014, 10:33:51 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is your favorite deity and why?  (Read 9126 times)

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
Re: Who is your favorite deity and why?
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »

Sounds good to me.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Edward Collett

• Cypress
  • Pride <3
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »

Almost two years after originally posting, I know that my answer for this question has changed.  In fact, I don't really have an answer for this question because of my newly found relationships with many deities in and out of my self-proclaimed pantheon which may or may not be as accurate as I once believed.

From my small interaction with Cerridwen who found interest in me after my mentor and I grew closer all the way to the present where my roommates deity, Jesus is currently trying to guide me.  I'm self-proclaimed pantheon is hellenic, although I've had very little interaction with any of the deities from within that pantheon if at all.

If I had to name any specific deity which I've turned to a lot recently it has to be the Moon better-known as the Goddess.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »

EC I use Dianna,Selena, and Hecate when practicing withcraft.The moon goddess is a very good
choice. The moon is a triple goddess.

I use the God and Goddess when practicing Wicca.Or they are also called The Lord and Lady.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:49:29 AM by marisol »
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:10:20 PM by marisol »
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »

Here's to the Sun God; He's such a fun God; Ra! Ra! Ra!
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

fairyprinciss

• Fir
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »

I've tried searching for other threads about pantheons and deities, but this is the closest I could find. A lot of what I've read encourages one to choose a pantheon and work with the gods & goddesses, even if just temporarily. Also, I've been cautioned not to "mix" them (like, using one God from Egyptian mythology and a goddess from Greek culture). In choosing a pantheon, it seems a little confusing to me. My first choice was exploring Celtic mythology (because I am half-Irish) but then it seemed confusing because of the Welsh, Irish, etc. That being said, I was immediately drawn to Rhiannon because of her tale of justice, being a goddess of horses and can be linked to fairies. She also draws her power from animals and nature, and appears as horses and birds.

Cernunnos is my male deity I am drawn to, because he is the Horned God and King of the Forest and animals, he represents cycles and seasons and just seems nice...not intimidating like some others out there.

Sucellus appeals to me as well, representing domesticity and prosperity, and above all, good times (a god who represents beer and libations? Yes please! LOL). He is often with his female partner Nantosuelta, who represents both fertility and re-birth and her symbol animals is a raven, so she is thought to help people cross to the Otherworld (their version of Summerland).

Now trying to figure out what to do with these guys is a different story lol, since I've learned about them and knowing when to call on them and for what.

I know how it feels 'cause I have slipped through to the very depths of my soul

Oonagh

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

I've tried searching for other threads about pantheons and deities, but this is the closest I could find. A lot of what I've read encourages one to choose a pantheon and work with the gods & goddesses, even if just temporarily. Also, I've been cautioned not to "mix" them (like, using one God from Egyptian mythology and a goddess from Greek culture). In choosing a pantheon, it seems a little confusing to me. My first choice was exploring Celtic mythology (because I am half-Irish) but then it seemed confusing because of the Welsh, Irish, etc. That being said, I was immediately drawn to Rhiannon because of her tale of justice, being a goddess of horses and can be linked to fairies. She also draws her power from animals and nature, and appears as horses and birds.

Cernunnos is my male deity I am drawn to, because he is the Horned God and King of the Forest and animals, he represents cycles and seasons and just seems nice...not intimidating like some others out there.

Sucellus appeals to me as well, representing domesticity and prosperity, and above all, good times (a god who represents beer and libations? Yes please! LOL). He is often with his female partner Nantosuelta, who represents both fertility and re-birth and her symbol animals is a raven, so she is thought to help people cross to the Otherworld (their version of Summerland).

Now trying to figure out what to do with these guys is a different story lol, since I've learned about them and knowing when to call on them and for what.

While there are some pantheons you probably wouldn't want to mix, I know a lot of people who have deity from different pantheons.  A lot of times people will be drawn to a type of deity and you can choose one from any of the pantheons.

I work with a few different goddesses and they are not all from the same pantheon.  Danu is my first goddess followed by Cerridwen, however I call on Isis as well as Bast and Hecate at times without a problem.  I've even done a couple of rituals to Kali when I was having some serious problems in my life.  Things turned around quickly after that.

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »

I've heard of people who occasionally mix a god and a goddess from different pantheons in a Wiccan ritual. The important thing is to make sure they are compatible, which a god and  goddess might not be even if they're from the same pantheon. Ex:  Wanna make Hera and Zeus your deities during ritual?  Really?  Depends on Hera's mood and Zeus' flings.Zeus and Freyja might blend better.  You get the idea.  A Recon would see things differently though, LOL. Depends on your trad - just think things through.
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

Ardennes Rosebrand

• Elm
  • Pronounced 'Arr-Den-Ease'
    • The White Witch Ardennes
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »

I am a patron of Osiris.  I have had a bond with him since my mid to late teens and continue to work closely. Though I also share a bond with Athena and work with Ra, Thoth, Diana, Hathor and Sobek (Sebek).

lola.s

• Elm
  • "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"
    • House of Sharkey
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »

I am so glad that I came across this thread as I was wondering why there where so many different types of God and Goddess and if there where different types of deity or if there was just one but each culture assigns them different names and images. you know, Eygpt Isis and Osiris. Greece, Diana and Zeus but reading these threads makes more sense. I have come to Paganisim/Wicca because Isis made herself known during a Rekei healing but I have always had a fascination with the moon (I could literally stare at it for hours. luckily I haven't turned to lunacy yet ;^)) so I am keen to explore more about Diana.
x
When your happy from a dream is it hard to work out what is real?

Firefly

• Elm
  • The Best Way Out Is Always Through
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

Just a heads up, Diana was not a Greek goddess. She was the Roman version of Artmeis.

Sorry... Have this weird Greek pride in me. I think it comes sewn into the genetics... ::)
"Wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is the prize..."
-Avicii

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." -Charles Bukowski

lola.s

• Elm
  • "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"
    • House of Sharkey
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2013, 07:11:04 AM »

I apologise and blush *^_^* x
When your happy from a dream is it hard to work out what is real?

Firefly

• Elm
  • The Best Way Out Is Always Through
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2013, 08:49:54 AM »

No worries  ;)
"Wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is the prize..."
-Avicii

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." -Charles Bukowski

Benjamin

• Fir
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »

I have to say that my favorite deity is Morrigan.  I have a strong connection to her, I love the Celtic gods/Goddesses.  She is the Goddess of war, death and rebirth; she has the power of three all rolled into one being.  She is a powerhouse and I know that as long as she is with me I have nothing to fear.  Because who would mess with someone that can fight you kill you then bring you back to life just to do it again.  ;D
When a good person goes to war you learn why they have so many rules.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »

I have changed my mind on using Diana. I am now calling on Artemis, Selene, and Hecate seems more natural to use them together. I call on them for help with witchcraft, and call on the God and Goddess when practicing
Wicca and for morning and evening prayers. I know that seems like a lot, but I have a good relationship with each one. We all get along well.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up