Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 30, 2014, 09:13:49 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is your favorite deity and why?  (Read 8548 times)

Mitch

• Cypress
  • Mitch the Witch
Who is your favorite deity and why?
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »

This question, I find, rather appeals to me because I like hearing other opinions on the subject of deities. My favorite has always been Diana Goddess of the Moon, it just seems right to me and I feel a closeness with her as well as relaxed in her presence.
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey...
we are spiritual beings on a human journey.

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
    • Snake's Myspace Page (The Snake Pit)
Re: Who is your favorite deity and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »

Anubis.  Because he is the Keeper of the Gate between this world and the Realm of the Dead, as well as the judge of souls.  He can be your best friend or your worst enemy, depending on his mood, or depending upon your actions...much like my own personality.  To quote a line by the Anubis character from Stephen King's "Kingdom Hospital"-- "I do you a solid, you do me a solid.  That's the way it works."

I chose Anubis as my patron God because, well, he's a dark God, a god of Death, and I like the darkness, nighttime, the shadows, death, necromancy, and anything else morbid and macabre.  I have a statue of Anubis on my altar, as well as one of Bastet, the Cat Goddess.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."--Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

aedh

• Hawthorn
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »

My favorite god is the one true god. The Great Purple Bovinity. All shall be trampled beneath his mighty hooves.

Mijska5

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:53:40 AM »

Bovine = Steak = BBQ = hmmmmmmmmmmmm

CelticFire

• Rowan
  • Sometimes you wake up in a dream. What Dream?
    • Jack the Ripper investigation
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »

Goddess, there are so many...

Well, my top TWO would be:

Athena and Artemis.

They're of equal stature in my eyes. They're both daughters of Zeus - the Greek lord of the heaven and the earth, the father of gods and men.

My reasons:
Athena is the goddess of wisdom, and she sprang forth from her father's head ready for war. I like her because she's prepared and always has a solution. For example, the challenge of Arachne: (The following has been taken from Greek Mythology of the "Get to Know Greece" series, published by Michalis Toubis S.A.)

"Arachne was a young woman with great skill at weaving and embroidery. Everyone admired her work and frequently said she had been taught by the goddess Athena. But from arrogance, she refused to accept that and challenged the goddess to a competition. Athena appeared disguised as an old woman and began to counsel her to be modest, judicious and pious to the gods. Arachne replied with curses. During the competition that follwed, the one weaver competed against the but the subjects Arachne chose for her designs offended the gods. Thus she came to suffer the rage of the goddess. Her humiliation led Arachne to commit suicide. She hung herself, but to keep her from dying, the goddess changed her into a spider ("Arachnid") which is constantly spinning its web."

Artemis is a goddess of the moon and the goddess of the hunt. I like her because she was the patron of the legendary Amazons, a tribe of women who lived apart from men and paid Artemis special honour. I also like Artemis because, when she was a girl, she begged Zeus to allow her to remain unmarried so she could roam the forests freely.

Joe1990

• Rowan
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »

i would have to say aries because though war is his thing, he is fearless and ruthless and lets nothing stop him at what he is doing

Amythestorm

• Ash
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 01:17:44 PM »

Belenos - I feel much energy from him to accomplish all the things I need to accomplish in a days time.
Rhiannon - When I sleep under her rays at night I can feel my strength being restored for the next days challenges.
"This too shall pass"
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "OH @#$%, SHE'S UP"!

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »

The Lord and Lady.  I've never had a need for any Others.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »

The Lord and Lady.  I've never had a need for any Others.

Those "Others" you speak of are just names given to the Lord and Lady to make them more personal.  It'd be like if you knew a couple whose last name was Smith, and everybody who didn't know them personally called them "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", but since you DO know them personally, you call them "Bob and Helen."  Make sense?

ldenis

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »

This question, I find, rather appeals to me because I like hearing other opinions on the subject of deities. My favorite has always been Diana Goddess of the Moon, it just seems right to me and I feel a closeness with her as well as relaxed in her presence.

I must admit I find this quite funny as I had NOT red your post before posting my questions. I guess we have something in common!

This posts helps a little with the meaning to each goddess.

Mitch

• Cypress
  • Mitch the Witch
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »

:)
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey...
we are spiritual beings on a human journey.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

I wonder if Anubis would agree with you Snake
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Snake-Man

• Walnut
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »

I wonder if Anubis would agree with you Snake

I imagine he would.  Those that don't know him personally just call him "Keeper of the Gate".

Joe1990

• Rowan
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 04:01:09 PM »

Those "Others" you speak of are just names given to the Lord and Lady to make them more personal.  It'd be like if you knew a couple whose last name was Smith, and everybody who didn't know them personally called them "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", but since you DO know them personally, you call them "Bob and Helen."  Make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up