Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 01, 2014, 03:30:38 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - Advanced List  (Read 5709 times)

Valerie

• Oak
Re: Wiccan Book List - Advanced List
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »

I bought the Scott Cunningham, Wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner, but I also bought a Llewelyn paper back Sabbats Almanac, for a beginner like me it has information in that is also here...but I can't Hogg the iPad,  need to share with the OH  ::)  x
Tho my path is uncertain, I'll go where my heart leads me...because in my quest to find my way, I know I'll find myself x

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »

Val Scott Cunningham's books are an excellent place to start. His books are the ones that brought me to TCC and my solitary path.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »

A very wise man once advised me when it cames to books on the occult to "take what I needed and discard the rest.  That every book had something to say but not everyone needed to hear it."

I have held to that for years now.  Even what I might consider the fluffiest book of cotton candy bullshit might help someone else figure out what they need to do.  Few here, last time I checked, are published so all we are expressing our opinions and well we all know what they say about that right?

Just because I don't appreciate what a book says does not mean I feel it is completely worthless or that it should be banned or burned.  I'm sure no one here felt they were capable of making a decision like that either as none here are the be all end all of the occult.

Buy whatever book strikes your fancy, there is a reason the goddess nudged it to your attention.  It may be the introduction or the last line or a paragraph in the middle.  You never know until you read it.

Do not base your opinions strictly on what anyone tells you.  Here or elsewhere.  I would hope being intelligent enough to see the value of the occult would extend to being able to form your own opinions.

I am sure I just pissed a few people off but that is nothing new.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »

I'm with you there 100%, DM.

Ever done any gold panning?  Many books on the occult are somewhat like gold panning, seems to me: you have to shovel, sort, wash, sort and wash again and discard several loads of gravel before you find any nuggets - but with a bit of luck and lots of work, the nuggets are there.

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »

I'm with you there 100%, DM.

Ever done any gold panning?  Many books on the occult are somewhat like gold panning, seems to me: you have to shovel, sort, wash, sort and wash again and discard several loads of gravel before you find any nuggets - but with a bit of luck and lots of work, the nuggets are there.

Alchymist.

EXACTLY!!

If I find occult books anywhere, flea markets, yard sales etc I don't even open them, I just buy them. If you find a book for a dollar or less that even touches on a subject you are interested in buy it.  You never know when even someone's scribbled note in the margin will open your mind to something.  Besides, you can never have too many books.

A perfect example, one of my top 3 occult books and one which I insist any student I work with read is Marion Weinstein's Positive Magic.  I paid 25 cents for my copy at the flea market.  It was in a box with a bunch of other books and I bought them all for $3.00.  Ended up with 12 books and the Positive Magic alone was worth every penny and then some.

the point is, I didn't buy many of them because they appealed to me, they were just books on the occult.  Some I've read avidly, some I've skimmed and some still sit on my shelf.  They cost me little and have given me so much more.  Any book is still a book and books will always be a good thing.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up