Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 01, 2014, 11:24:22 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are rituals neccessary?  (Read 2868 times)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
Re: Are rituals neccessary?
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »

...I have always believed the paths/wiccan,pagen or many others were more open ended and less closed mind which is what has made them more appealling in recent years.

This is true...but as a wise person once said, "Open mindedness is good...but don't be SO open minded that your brains fall out".

What seems to be the sticking point in this aspect of this thread is Free Will.  Not going to Mass, Shul, Temple, or Ritual is, after all, your own choice.  NO G-d, G-dess, saint, angel, demon, or otherwise is "holding a gun to" your physical head.  The fact that you should desire to be there is a BIG point.  A VERY big point.

So, in summum, "ARE rituals NECESSARY"?  No, I suppose they aren't.  But hey, it's YOUR Karma, YOU deal with it.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

blue

• Birch
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »

Another wise man once made the observation that getting a bunch of Pagans all together in one place is about like herding cats.  ;)

Honestly ... i don't think deity is keeping track of who is in attendance at mass. That's a more earthly concern of groups that are dwindling in numbers.

I saw it with the OES. That truly is a dying tradition. Most of the members are in their 60's, 70's and 80's. There's almost no new blood coming in because it's so far out of step with the times. Show up to one of their meetings just once and they want you to come all of the time. They're desperate. This is working from a position of weakness.

Wicca operates from a position of strength. ~ IMHO ~

Some Christian churches will pester the daylights out of you and try to lay on a guilt trip. You better show up to mass or ..... you're going to hell. Trying to manipulate people with fear, guilt, or an implied sense of obligation is also working from a position of weakness.

Religions, like great nations, have their day in the sun and then fade and become lost in the sands of time. Some day ... Wicca's time will come as well. Will the last practitioners go out with dignity and strength -or- weakness and despair ?   Only time will tell .....

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »

As that may be you come close to defining wicca in a catagory which i will not presume to do

Let me say it a little more succinctly for you...

I AM defining Wicca into that category.  You don't need to, I'll handle it.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

ejfinch

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »

It seems to me that the OP has gotten lost in the shuffle here. In her first post, Linzy asked if she could practice Witchcraft without ritual. She did not ask if she could practice Wicca without it. She made it pretty clear that she did not feel Wicca was for her. Therefore, the answer to her original question is, obviously, YES.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »

It seems to me that the OP has gotten lost in the shuffle here.
In her first post, Linzy asked if she could practice Witchcraft without ritual. She did not ask if she could practice Wicca without it. She made it pretty clear that she did not feel Wicca was for her. Therefore, the answer to her original question is, obviously, YES.

A) Doesn't it USUALLY?

B) I know, but I was taking care of the REST of the question.

ejfinch

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

A) Doesn't it USUALLY?

B) I know, but I was taking care of the REST of the question.

Yea, I know, C_A. I was just trying to make sure that the original question got answered, as well.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up