Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 26, 2014, 09:08:57 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 18305 times)

wnster

Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »

Get one of each, a witch's almanac, and a farmer's almanac.That way you can compare them.

If you use a witch's, do you have a preference?

Deborah

• Fir
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2010, 01:10:01 AM »

I have read the whichcraft of salem village.The people in the book they were mean.THEY killed and lied about people for no reason.And for christian ways.It talk about 2 separate place IN 1692.
Deborah

Hjolmaer

« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47:10 AM »

If you use a witch's, do you have a preference?

My preference?  Comparison.

If they both agree on the same occurrence/date/etc, then you can be fairly sure the information is accurate.

I have read the whichcraft of salem village.The people in the book they were mean.THEY killed and lied about people for no reason.And for christian ways.It talk about 2 separate place IN 1692.

You're talking about the witch-hunts.  During the various Inquisitions.  Most of it was little more than paranoid village folk, jealous/covetous neighbors, and people with grudges.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:49:43 AM by Hjolmaer »

CuriousOne

• Fir
  • Sing like no one's listening.
« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »

I am so glad to have such a lengthy list to choose from. I also appreciate the *recommendations* markings. Yay!
-The best place to begin is at the beginning-

millerj91

• Meṁber
  • Alder
  • Profile pic not me. Just think shes beautiful.
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2011, 06:01:50 PM »

Just curious; is the author Vivianne Crowley (several of her books mentioned in the reading list) any relation to Aleister Crowley? Looked through this feed and didn't see anyone ask that, if already answered then sorry for the redundency.
No signature. Can't think of anything witty to type so I'll just leave this section blank.

Passer Urbanus

• Hawthorn
  • God Bless America
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »

Just curious; is the author Vivianne Crowley (several of her books mentioned in the reading list) any relation to Aleister Crowley? Looked through this feed and didn't see anyone ask that, if already answered then sorry for the redundency.

Almost everything I've found says that she has no relation to him.  There was one site claiming she was related to him, but it was quite questionable.  So it's possible that she may be, but it's much more likely that she's not.  After all, Crowley is a fairly common surname, especially in Ireland.  Here is an interesting thread from another forum about Aleister Crowley's children.  I can't certify that everything they say is 100% accurate, but it's an interesting read.
"Every post is honorable in which a man can serve his country." -George Washington

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »

I am sure mine will be surprising....

Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help by Marion Weinstein

Wiccan Warrior: Walking a Spiritual Path in a Sometimes Hostile World by Kerr Cuhulain

Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose by Raymond Buckland
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Prester

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »

Copied and pasted your list for much future reading.

Currently, I am reading the Scott Cunningham book and finding it very interesting.

Thank you.
- Don't look at me,
        It wasn't my Dragon.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2011, 10:27:43 AM »

Copied and pasted your list for much future reading.

Currently, I am reading the Scott Cunningham book and finding it very interesting.

Thank you.

An excellent idea. 

Which "the" Scott Cunningham?  He wrote a lot of "the" books...
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Prester

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2011, 05:50:11 PM »

"Living Wicca".
- Don't look at me,
        It wasn't my Dragon.

Sunbird To Fire

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »

I tried to read the thread in full but im having troubke loading on ipod does anybody know if there are ebooks available for some of those books. :) preferabbly by scott cunningham.. I have googled ebook app

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »

Some are available for Kindle via the Kindle store

KitKat

• Fir
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2011, 07:51:09 AM »

I am addicted to my kindle and noticed Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A guide for the solitary practitioner is only 1.99 right now.  I have the hard copy but for 1.99, couldn't pass it up!  There are many titles available for kindle.  I just finished The Goddess is in the Details by Deborah Blake, it goes beyond Wicca 101 books teaching you how to live Wicca spiritually everyday vs only esbats and Sabbaths.  I also have Grimassi's Sprit of the Witch on kindle....did I say I LOVE my kindle...

Kat

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2011, 11:42:44 PM »

well, I did some research for where to start from and most people recommended S. Cunningham's Guide for solitary practitioner. So I got it. Now I'm focused on  A Witch's Bible by Stewart Farrar and Witchcraft Today, Gerald B. Gardner. And than - we'll see.....

I am impressed.  The Gardner book especially but I am partial to his work.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »

I have to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Farrars.  There were a lot of rumors and nastiness going around about them and their "school" and their "camp". 

While I think there are a lot of things accetable within one's religious or spiritual practice, those things do not include the harming of other people whether mentally, emotionally or physically.

I don't know how many, or if any of the rumors were or are true, but there were enough people who disassociated themselves with them that I have my wonders.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up