Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 25, 2014, 10:27:44 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 17591 times)

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »

Thanks for the list everyone also the advanced list. I love to read and collect books although lately I have little time for it. Too many interuptions.

Blessings to all
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

LynnW

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • I'm not crazy. Neither am I.
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »

I'm ambitious and I have a lot of time on my hands. So I'm am going to attempt to read every book on this list. Starting with what I can find at local libraries! Thanks!
Perfume was first created to mask the stench of foul and offensive oders. Spices and bold flavorings were created to mask the taste of putrid and rotting meat. What then was music created for? Was it to drown out the voices of others, or the voices within ourselves? I think I know. -Emilie Autumn

Mountain_Mamma

• Holly
  • One with the Moon
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »

*BUMP*
Laugh, Live, Love
Blessed Be

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »

Since we have had a bunch of "pointing at" for this thread of late, I'll reiterate one of my suggestions to keep it from getting missed...

"Ancient Ways" , "The Wheel of the Year" "Rites of Passage" and "Circles, Groves and Sanctuaries" by the late Pauline Campanelli. 

If you've been to the North/West part of NJ, or ever been to New Hope, you've seen her artwork or her surviving husband's, (Dan Campanelli), they're watercolors, and really quite good.  The bank in Hope, NJ has many of their originals on it's walls.  I guess it was their bank, at one point...they lived in one of the three hundred year old houses nearby.  Her BOOKS, though, are absolute treasures.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
  • Give the Gift of Love...Volunteer!
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2012, 08:49:53 AM »

Looked up Pauline Campanelli on Amazon.  Tagged a few books for my wish list.  There is a book of her art work as well as prints for sale on Amazon too.

Thanks for the heads up, C_A.   I always check out book references.
We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »

I just find their art very..."comfortable".

I needn't be an "art afficionado" to appreciate their works.  They just "fit in" for me.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Buttershark

• Fir
  • My cheese is dead.
    • My Facebook~
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »

For those planning to follow the Celtic Wiccan path, "Exploring Celtic Druidism" by Sirona Knight is a wonderful novel. Contains rituals, directions on how to make your own alter tools, and a brief but thorough rundown of everything else a witch may seek starting out.
"The Temple Within" by Denise Iwaniw is a great starter meditation guide book, with a guided meditation disc included.
"When somebody offers you a gift, you should accept it gracefully;
Whether knowledge, or object."

.::.*.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.*.::.

"Small minds cannot comprehend big spirits.
To be great, you must be willing to be mocked, hated, and misunderstood.
Stay strong." -Aarti Khurana

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »

For those planning to follow the Celtic Wiccan path, "Exploring Celtic Druidism" by Sirona Knight is a wonderful novel. Contains rituals, directions on how to make your own alter tools, and a brief but thorough rundown of everything else a witch may seek starting out.
"The Temple Within" by Denise Iwaniw is a great starter meditation guide book, with a guided meditation disc included.

Just trying to figure this one out...."follow the Celtic Wiccan path" & "Exploring Celtic Druidism".....sort of like the left and right swing of a pendulum innit?

Buttershark

• Fir
  • My cheese is dead.
    • My Facebook~
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »

Well, a Celtic Wiccan is one who follows a more earth-based path than the other branches. More stock into herbs, crystals, the like. There are slight variations to traditional rituals as well, and a few more "rules" and specific gods. As the Druids were the priests of the Celts, if one would like to be a Celtic "witch" or shaman, it is pretty handy and interesting to study the Druids. I am sorry I did not make myself more clear. Another bad choice of words on my part. :)

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »

Not at all, I'm just not so sure you can smunch Druidry and Wicca into the same box. As you might note from a few threads on the matter of Druids, there is precious little actually known about the ancient Druids. Nothing is recorded by them. Anything we do have was written by the people who killed them so I'm guessing it may be a tad biased.
As to modern Druids...they're making it up as they go! Personally, the majority of the ones I've encountered are mostly Tolkien fanatics and can't decide if the Hobbit was real. I even knew a guy who called himself Gandolf the White.

Not meaning to offend anyone who calls themselves Druids but at the same time not to concerned if I do. All I can base my opinions on are the people I've met who call themselves Druids......and those folks are just down right weird!
Then we come to the issue regarding Wiccans. To say Wicca is to say the color Red. Ever look to see how many different tints and shades of Red exist? Because of all the off shoots, diluted versions and twisted versions, versions that use the name but are way out there in left field in practise.......I have no idea what wicca is any more.

Buttershark

• Fir
  • My cheese is dead.
    • My Facebook~
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2012, 08:09:06 PM »

Ah yes very good points, Magus. I am in much the same opinion as well, as such a new religion as Wicca is always changing to the point where one wonders about validity. For a system to work, there needs to be at least some form of constancy or pattern involved. When people follow a feeling, and not a set of guidelines as in more organized religion, things can get lost and cluttered along the way.

The book actually does mention, being written by a modern Druid, that much was lost due to conquerors and nonbelievers. The Romans and such. But the author does her best in a very basic but detailed manner to compile what IS known (such as the Gods, who were mostly recovered) and to eliminate fluffiness. Whether you consider yourself a Druid, or Wiccan, it is from what I have seen, written in a very similar outlook. A good and intriguing read, nonetheless. Also, yes I have met these very... odd, Druids. But I assure you she is VERY down to Earth in her teachings.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:29:34 PM by Buttershark »

ForestFaith

• Meṁber
  • Willow
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »

Well I went to the bookstore today to look for some more books. As I pulled a few out and thumbed through them I noticed I was getting some very strange looks, as if I had a head growing out of my butt or something.Didn't end up getting anything. However, when I did buy a book a couple weeks ago  I could tell the woman at the register was judging me and wanted to say something....

UPDATE: There is infact NO head growing out of my butt.......

naturalpaganmomma

• Holly
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »

The first day I checked out books from my village's library, the librarian who assisted me seemed a little freaked out by my choices. I continued to act normal and polite because I am normal and polite. Then as I left the library with the books, my kids, and my sister in tow, I had a nice chuckle because she was the one who had acted abnormally with her bug eyes and way too large, nervous grin.

For those of us who get strange looks we could wiggle our fingers out in front of us, say, "Boogedy, boogedy, boo!", and see if anyone screams and faints.  ;D

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

If you ever want a cheap laugh, pop into the local WORD Bookstore (Run by the Pentecostal Church here. I'm sure they have them there too) and ask for The Holy Books of Aleister Crowley.

Doesn't half get lulzy real quick.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

naturalpaganmomma

• Holly
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »

If you ever want a cheap laugh, pop into the local WORD Bookstore (Run by the Pentecostal Church here. I'm sure they have them there too) and ask for The Holy Books of Aleister Crowley.

Doesn't half get lulzy real quick.

ROFLMAO!!!! I can just imagine to reactions.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up