Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 22, 2014, 09:38:29 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 18214 times)

edens garden

• Walnut
Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 10:23:16 PM »

I recently read The Craft: A Witches Book of Shadows, and The Craft Companion: A Witches Journal but Dorothy Morrison. I found them in this amazing secondhand book store here in Saratoga Springs called Lyrical Ballad. It is a fairly large, sprawling store with lots of different rooms filled with books to the point there are a lot of stacks on the floor. Just finding them in a place like that is amazing. There was a copy of Drawing Down the Moon for only 3$, but I had no idea what it was so I didn't get it. Luckily it was on a shelf so I am thinking of going back and searching for it, and any other books I can find on Wicca.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else here had read them, and if so, what you thought.
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »

So I've recently finished reading Scott Cunningham's book that's recommended in the list.

I really enjoyed his book and want to continue reading books written by him.   Would any of you know what would the "next" book after the Guide for the Solitary Practitioner be?  Would it be "Living Wicca"?  Or is that one that would be recommended on me to read next?

Also what path does Cunningham follow?  I don't recall him ever declaring it in the book I have and I've searched a few websites that reveal everything about him but what path he followed.  The closest I found was "and was a member of the Serpent Stone Family, and received his Third Degree Initiation as a member of that coven." from wikipedia but from what I was able to find the coven is a make up of a large range pagan paths.

Any ideas?  I've done some looking around but can't seem to figure it out  :'(

FireWillow

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »

Living Wicca is indeed the "sequel" to Wicca.

Scott began his Wiccan path in high school. He was initiated into a few traditions of Wicca, but spent most of his path as a solitary practitioner.

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »

Kim Shelton

• Cypress
  • Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again!
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 09:42:46 AM »

This is a long and very interesting list you have here.  I have read the Scott Cunningham book, "Wicca:  A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner," yet I haven't read any of the other recommended books.  I have looked them up in my local library here in Claremore, OK. and they are not here.  I also looked in the City nearest to where I lived, Tulsa, OK., yet none are there in their local libraries either, so I ended up buying the Cunningham book.  I guess I just have to look harder.

Kim 8)
"The only thing we have to fear is...fear itself"
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »

You could always try buying them off ebay.  I think someone said that's what they do and generally get the books pretty cheap :)

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »

I buy a lot of books from Barnes and Noble. They have used books in great shape really cheap. The most I've ever paid for the shipping is $3.99.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »

This is a long and very interesting list you have here.  I have read the Scott Cunningham book, "Wicca:  A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner," yet I haven't read any of the other recommended books.  I have looked them up in my local library here in Claremore, OK. and they are not here.  I also looked in the City nearest to where I lived, Tulsa, OK., yet none are there in their local libraries either, so I ended up buying the Cunningham book.  I guess I just have to look harder.

Kim 8)

Yeah! Another Okie. My son has raced dirtbikes in your neck of the woods. I have found a lot of books on Ebay and you can get them cheap! (watch for free or low shipping cost or they'll get you)

Speaking of ebay, i am browsing as we speak for Gerald Gardners books and I'm wondering which one to get First. Witchcraft today?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:32:54 PM by lilpnkbnny »
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:22 AM »

Since no one was up to share my insomnia, heres what i found...Witchcraft today by GG, and Wicca for life by R. Buckland.  Here it is two years since I've joined this site and I'm still trying to figure out if Wicca is a good fit for me. A lesson to all you newbies to take your time. It doesn't have to happen overnight.

ETA...I also won The Complete Book of Saxon Witchcraft by R Buckland for 2.00 Woo Hoo! I always love it when i find a book that cheap and get free shipping.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:12:31 PM by lilpnkbnny »

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »

I seem to be in here by myself  :o

After browsing this list I settled on two R Buckland books. Now on another thread, I read how he is off on his information and it seems some think his books aren't worth reading. Who likes these books and who doesn't? If his information is incorrect as some say, why is it on the reading list. I must say I'm a bit annoyed I didn't know this ahead of time. I guess that falls on me for not catching up on this site until lately. I guess the Gardner book is a good one seeing that he founded Wicca. I guess I'll start with that one and wait on opinions on the others so I will at least read them with a grain of salt.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »

The only real problem I have found with Bucklands books is in his history.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

FireWillow

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »

I personally own Big Blue, Wicca for Life, and Wicca for One.  Save the history, I found them to be worthwhile reading.

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Is all his historical info wrong or just parts. What areas should I be skeptical of.

FireWillow

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »

Is all his historical info wrong or just parts. What areas should I be skeptical of.

Be skeptical of anything in his history that dates back prior to 1950.  There is a great deal of Murrayism in his works.  There are far better sources for Wiccan history.

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »

What would you recommend as a good history (besides Drawing Down the Moon). I'm really interested in the beginnings and origins of GG's ideas, experiences, etc... that led him to creating a whole new religion. I don't know if this will be in Witchcraft today or not. I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up