Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 26, 2014, 02:29:36 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 17627 times)

FireWillow

Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »

One that I found particularly enlightening was Fifty Years of Wicca by Frederic Lamond.  Frederick was an initiate in Gardners Bricket Wood coven in 50's and 60's and spent 50 years of his life in the Gardnerian tradition.

I don't recall a definitive history.  I have read several books and articles by authors and scholars alike and pieced together on my own beliefs as it pertains to this history of Wicca.

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »

Thanks FW...I found a copy of that one on Ebay for 5.oo so I went ahead and snatched it up. Now I have to stop myself from buying anymore because I still have others piled around my room that i haven't gotten to yet.  ;D
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »

Since I had taken some time off of my exploring Wicca, a lot of what I had read before had gotten diluted with everything else  in my head so I went back to the beginning with SCs Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. Reading it again I see why it is that i need more. It is a good book but it is more of a how to instead of why. It seems to lack the meat and potatoes for me. It can't stand alone (for me anyway) as a sole guide for Wicca. I hope the newbies on here don't stop with this book alone. I have about 8 books that I haven't read, with 4 more on the way and I truly hope they will fill in the gaps for me. It made me think of the little booklets I used to get in Sunday school. Without reading the bible, it would've been just a tiny little lesson in a BIG religion. If i was young and didn't know all the other things i've read on here or in other books, I might have thought this is all there is to it. That would've been sad.

Sorry for the babbling. I just sort of had what Oprah would call "a light bulb moment" I understood why i felt like I needed more. I just have to make time to absorb it all.

*courtesy of insomnia*

FireWillow

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 04:37:59 AM »

It can't stand alone (for me anyway) as a sole guide for Wicca.

I don't believe Scott intended it to be, ergo the pages of "Suggested Reading" in the back of the book.

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 06:54:47 AM »

I don't think he did either, Its something that just dawned on me while reading it last night. It made me think of my floundering early on before I had read all that I have now. I was just thinking out loud. What i found fascinating my first time around, I found lacking on the second.  It's a good place to start, just don't want to see the young 'uns stop there and think thats it. There is a TON more to learn.

still babbling and thinking out loud. No idea what my point was..lol
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:57:05 AM by lilpnkbnny »

Taliesin

• Oak
  • I'll convert you
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:08 AM »

I recommend reading 'Philosophy of Wicca', I find myself agreeing with this author - Amber Laine Fisher. She seems very much so intouch :) Of course views slightly differ with magic. But that's expected.

She explores a lot of the concepts of Wicca; the use of Deity/importance of mythology , the rede [I see it in a different light now ~ I realise its not something that takes a pasifist stance, the rede is something VERY powerful], sexuality, magic, magicians manifesto, connection with nature, etc. Thoroughly a good read.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:53:38 AM by Taliesin »
I can never look at The Beatles the same again.

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
  • Give the Gift of Love...Volunteer!
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2009, 03:11:46 PM »

Currently half way through Creating Circles & Ceremonies by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart and Morning Glory Zell-Revenheart.  EXCELLENT!!

*gotta run... more reading to do*   :)
We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

annalisesg

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »

Drawing down the moon was one of the first books I read when I started researching( you could really call it soul searching) paganism and it helped me a tremendous amount in understanding wher I stood.

annalisesg

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »

also Beyond The Broomstick by Morgana Sythove is on my to read list it seems to have avery good prespective.

FireWillow

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »

some stuff about books.

I dig your avatar!  Very thought provoking...

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2009, 11:57:02 PM »

I'm reading Fifty Years of Wicca. Its an interesting read. I like how he tells about his different experiences from his time with Gardner on.... I would recommend it.

Before that I read Withcraft Today by Gardner. It kept my attention. I don't have strong feeling for or against it but I would recommend it just for some background on the founder of Wicca and his views on the craft and its origins.

Before that....I read Wicca For Life by Buckland. I enjoyed the first half of the book and then it seemed to take a turn towards the young school aged readers. I skipped those chapters and went on to the more adult subject. It is a very easy read. I think most would learn from and enjoy it.

I hope to move on to some more meaty books soon but i've been going through the beginners reading first just to get some understanding to build a foundation on.

FireWillow

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2009, 05:31:53 AM »

I hope to move on to some more meaty books soon but i've been going through the beginners reading first just to get some understanding to build a foundation on.

That is a wise thing to do.  In that foundation, you will have exposed yourself to varying opinions on Wiccan theory, practice, belief, and philosophy.  That is much better than reading one author (especially if that author is $RW) and moving on.  You will be able to filter the fluff from the truth and have a comprehensive understanding to base your beliefs upon.

annalisesg

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »

thank you firewillow. yours is classic.

Moonsong

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2009, 05:26:34 AM »

This is a wonderful list! I've read many of these books as well as some on the advanced list and look forward to checking out the ones I haven't. It's a shame both lists aren't stickied in the newbie forum as it would most likely put an end to at least one of the nasty newbie questions that plague you all.

Yes, I'm new. I didn't introduce myself because I wasn't up for being verbally smacked about and I honestly wasn't sure what approach I should take as none seems to save the newbies from the rath of the oldbies.  ;)

That aside thanks again for the list.

laughingfire23

• Rowan
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »

I will definitely have to start on this list... as soon as financially able.

I went to the local library yesterday and used every keyword I could think of. I ended up with an Herb book (useless, all medicinal and food uses), SpellBound, a brief history on mythology and magic (everything pretty much centered around Christianity, However did mention the discrediting of Margret Murray), a book on the Chakras, another Mythology book. The catalog included a book on Wicca, and one of the books on this list from Buckland as well as some others on similar subjects, but all of these had the same listing "Item Missing"
**suspicious** the ones that were not checked in due to being lost were listed as lost.
I blame lack of sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up