Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 11, 2014, 11:11:25 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 15580 times)

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
  • creating disturbances wherever I land
Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »

As promised, here is a list of basic books on Wicca (Wicca 101).  This list is by no means complete and hopefully others will add to the list and maybe provide some recommendations.

• Adler, Margot --  Drawing down the Moon (highly recommended for history & explainations on Wicca, Witchcraft & Paganism)
  • Bado-Fralick, Nikki --  Coming to the Edge of the Circle
  • Buckland, Raymond --   Complete Book of Witchcraft (makes a nice workbook but not a good historical resource
  • Buckland, Raymond  --  Wicca for One:  The Path of Solitary Witchcraft
  • Buckland, Raymond  --   The Complete Book of Saxon Witchcraft
  • Buckland, Raymond  --   Wicca for Life:  From Birth to the Sumerland
  • Cannon-Reed, Ellen  --   The Heart of Wicca:  Wise Words from a Crone on the Path
  • Cantrell, Gary  --   Wiccan Beliefs & Practices
  • Conway, DJ  --   Wicca:  The Complete Craft
  • Crowley, Vivianne  --   Wicca (recommended)
  • Crowley, Vivianne  --   Wicca The Old Religion for the New Millenium
  • Crowley, Vivianne  --   Principles of Wicca (recommended)
  • Crowley, Vivianne  --   Way of Wicca
  • Crowther, Patricia  --   Lid off the Cauldron A Wiccan Handbook (use in my Wicca 101 classes)
  • Cunningham, Scott  --  Wicca A Guide for Solitary Practitioner
  • D'Este, Sorita & Rankine, David  --   Wicca Magickal Beginnings
  • D'Este, Sorita & Rankine, David  --   Circle of Fire:  The Symbolism & Practices of Wiccan Ritual
  • De Oya, Jeanine --  Portal Into the Light of Truth: 1st Wicca Book for African Americans and All Seekers
  • DeMartini, Janine  --   A Seeker's Journey and Initiation into Wicca
  • Drew, AJ  --   Wicca for Men
  • Dunwich, Gerina  --   Everyday Wicca
  • Gallagher, Ann-Marie  --   The Wicca Bible: Definitive Guide to magic and the craft
  • Gardner, Athena  --  Lessons in Goddess Spirituality: Wicca 101 (interesting to read)
  • Gardner, Gerald  --   The Meaning of Witchcraft
  • Gardner, Gerald  --   Witchcraft Today
  • Greenaway, Leanna  --   Simply Wicca
  • Grimassi, Raven  --   Wiccan Mysteries
  • Grimassi, Raven  --   Crafting Wiccan Traditions (a bit fluffy for my tastes)
  • Holland, Eileen     --   The Wicca Handbook
  • Hunter, Jennifer  --   21st Century Wicca
  • K, Amber  --   Coven Craft
  • Lady Sabrina  --   Exploring Wicca
  • Lipp, Deborah  --   The Elements of Ritual (recommended)
  • MacMorgan, Kaatryn  --   All One Wicca:  Study of Universal Eclectic Trad of Wicca
  • Martello, Leo L    --   Witchcraft:  The Old Religion (Sicilian Wicca)
  • McCarthur, Margie  --   WiccaCraft for Families
  • Moon, Sister  --   Wiccaning
  • Morgan, Michele  --   Simple Wicca
  • Murphy-Hiscock, Arin  --   Solitary Wicca for Life
  • Penczak, Christopher  --   Inner Temple of Witchcraft
  • Penczak, Christopher  --   Outer Temple of Witchcraft
  • Penczak, Christopher  --   Sons of the Goddess:  A Young Man's Guide to Wicca
  • Raeburn, Jane  --   Celtic Wicca
  • Roderick, Timothy  --   Wicca:  A Year and a Day (recommended)
  • Sabin, Thea  --   Wicca for Beginners
  • Shanddaramon  --  Self-Initiation for the Solitary Witch:  Attaining  Higher Spirituality through a 5-degree system
  • Starhawk  --   Spiral Dance (a favorite of mine)
  • Starhawk  --   Wiccan Rituals & Blessings (interesting but I like Starhawk)
  • Starhawk  --   The Beginner's Guide to Wicca:  How to practice Earth-Centered Spirituality (CD)
  • Stephanic, Kisma  --   Faery Wicca Book One
  • Telesco, Patricia  --   Wiccan Book of Ceremonies
  • Thomas-Ford, Michael  --   The Path of the Green Man (Gay Wicca)
  • Treleven, Amethyst --  Seeker's Guide to Learning Wicca: Training to 1st Degree in Northern Hemisphere
  • Treleven, Amethyst  --  Seeker's Guide to Learning Wicca: Training to 1st Degree in Southern Hemisphere
  • Trobe, Kala  --   The Witch's Guide to Life
  • Valiente, Doreen  --   Witchcraft for Tomorrow (recommended)
  • Ventimiglia, Mark  --   Wiccan Rede
  • Ventimiglia, Mark  --   Wiccan Prayer Book (interesting)
  • Weinstein, Marion  --   Earth Magic:  A Dianic Book of Shadows (recommend if interested in Dianic Tradition)
  • Wildman, Laura  --   Wiccan Meditations (I found this interesting)
  • Z, Budapest --  The Feminist Book of Light & Shadows

I've indicated a few comments on some of these. 
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush

Catnip

• Fir
  • Kitty the Boo
Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »

What a great list! Thanks Blackmoons Owl ^^
I have read a few of these, and especially enjoyed Scott Cunningham's "Wicca, a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner", so I can add my recommendation on that one!
*toddles off to Amazon*

alwaysone

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »

Question: Where does one find informative books on Wicca? The local chain bookstores carry a small selection of basic witchcraft books geared towards teens. I have been Wiccan for a long time and would like to find advanced study books or more information other than the basics.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »

Most books can be found/purchased through www.amazon.com  I have always had a good experience when buying books from them.

http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=401.0 

That link is to a more advanced list of Wiccan books.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"  Friedrich Nietzsche

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »

I see EBS beat me to it.  I created a 2nd list of more advanced book titles.  I find a lot of books at "Half Price Books" - though you can order on-line.  If you have a specific title you could ask if the bookstore near you will order it for you (most will - though they may ask you to pay in advanced).  I also find a lot of stuff at Barnes & Noble & Borders.
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush

alwaysone

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »

Thanks. I did try Barnes and Noble and Borders but didn't find much. I'll have to check on Amazon.com.

Rhea Li

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:39:11 PM »

I see EBS beat me to it.  I created a 2nd list of more advanced book titles.  I find a lot of books at "Half Price Books" - though you can order on-line.  If you have a specific title you could ask if the bookstore near you will order it for you (most will - though they may ask you to pay in advanced).  I also find a lot of stuff at Barnes & Noble & Borders.
At my Borders, there is a whole section full of Pagan, Wiccan, and Witchcraft books. Plus two whole shelves of Tarot cards. I love my Borders. =^-^=

Amazon is also very good, but I prefer using the book store. I get to see the book in rl and decide if I should get it or not then. ^_^

SilverDragonfly

• Oak
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

I agree, I love to leaf through a book before I buy.  However, up here in the boonies, the nearest bookstore is 65 miles away.  :'( 

I've ordered from Amazon, read reviews from other customers, and compared prices for new and used, even other online sources.  I recently received a book that wasn't what I was looking for, returned it, received a prompt refund-no problem.  Not as good as a real-life bookstore, but it's all I've got.   :)

FireWillow

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »

One good thing that Amazon now has is the "Look Inside" feature in many of the books that they sell.

I order everything through Amazon, even if I stop by the Borders near my store and skim though a book first.  I don't buy anything unless I save at least 20% (unless I really really want it).

Catnip

• Fir
  • Kitty the Boo
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 09:18:16 AM »

I've found charity shops are fantastic as well, if you dig deep enough you usually find some gems in the stacks of a good charity shop! There's one up near where my mum lives (which is in the middle of nowhere) and I've got quite a few interesting books about anything from herbs, tarot, meditation, to candle magic from there!

It's cheap, and you also get to enjoy the fact that you've helped a charity! ^^

Moonlight-and-Raven

• Fir
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:18:56 AM »

I do most of my book shopping on half.com.

I browse Amazon for the reviews, and then search Half by the ISBN. You can usually find really great deals there. Sometimes Amazon will have better prices, but most often they don't.

Moonlight-and-Raven

• Fir
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 05:19:55 AM »

I live in the South, and Wiccan/Pagan shops are a rare find out here. And the chain bookstores have a very, very limited supply of anything decent.

Betsy

• Holly
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »

I went to buy five used books on line. The books cost $37, the shipping was $27.50 how does that make any sense? They were all from the same company and media mail is extremely cheap.

FireWillow

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »

I went to buy five used books on line. The books cost $37, the shipping was $27.50 how does that make any sense? They were all from the same company and media mail is extremely cheap.

You may want to ask the company and ask them if it is an error.  If not, ask them why shipping's so outrageous?

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »

Wonders where they were shipping the book from...  another country?  another planet??  Is it coming in special packaging because its fragile???   I'd want more than just bubble wrap protecting something at the rate...wow.

ooohhh...bubble wrap.....starts popping a sheet of it....... ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up