Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 28, 2014, 09:54:00 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 18352 times)

SilverDragonfly

• Oak
Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 04:26:19 AM »

Is it okay to recommend other books here? One of my favorite pagan scholars is Nigel Pennick. He wrote a Pagan Book of Days that I use as a reference for the holidays, and to find new spiritual implications in practically every day of the year. He's also written several books about sacred alphabets and codes, and the Norse Runes, that are well-researched, as far as I can tell, and very helpful. I also really like his Pagan History of Europe. I was amazed to learn how recently there were still pagans actively practicing in Europe, and the scope of forced conversions to Christianity. Sad to know we have our own martyrs and "ethnic cleansings."

Sulis,  Why don't you add these to the pagan book reviews topic in Pagan Q & A.
I've seen his books, but haven't read any yet and would be very interested in your reviews of these. 
Here: http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=151.0

Keysol

• Ash
  • "Words without thoughts never to heaven go"
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »

Is it okay to recommend other books here? One of my favorite pagan scholars is Nigel Pennick. He wrote a Pagan Book of Days that I use as a reference for the holidays, and to find new spiritual implications in practically every day of the year. He's also written several books about sacred alphabets and codes, and the Norse Runes, that are well-researched, as far as I can tell, and very helpful. I also really like his Pagan History of Europe. I was amazed to learn how recently there were still pagans actively practicing in Europe, and the scope of forced conversions to Christianity. Sad to know we have our own martyrs and "ethnic cleansings."

Have you ever read anything by Ronald Hutton? His book The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft is really interesting (though he is a professor, so many of his books read like a text book...lol).
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

Amanda

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »

Not trying to be a smarta**. Try googling Metaphysical stores in you area. If that doesn't work, try New Age. If all else fails try the TCC bookstore. I find it rather helpful.  :D

FireWillow

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »

...or you can just buy from Amazon, like I do. ;)

wimberlyt

• Alder
    • myspace
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »

Don't forget The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft, 3rd Edition by Denise Zimmerman.
I have it and I love it. ;D
May the Great Spirit grant me the strength to fight my greatest enemy........Myself.

Fianna

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »

The list seems quite usefull, thanks for posting it :)

LunaSaidar

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 03:40:54 AM »

A Practical Guide to Witchcraft and Magick Spells by Cassandra Eason is a very nice book to start with, it gives you many examples and the tools to create your own rituals/spells :) I sometimes still use it to get my creative juices going ;) Hope it can be added to the list!

scarlet

• Fir
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 12:42:08 AM »

Okay, it seems as though it might be best to go through some sort of 'workbook' while also reading other texts.  Is there any specific handbook or workbook that anyone recommends above another and what accompanying works would be a proper compliment?

Thanks so much in advance. 

morningdove

• Ash
  • At home
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »

Raymond Bucklands Big Blue Book is set up with assignments like a work book.
Getting healthy so I have no more big "C" scares.

scarlet

• Fir
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:44 PM »

Would you recommend getting that one right away or are there "pre-requisites" that you'd advise reading first?

FireWillow

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 03:35:34 AM »

IMO, Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner or Sabin's Wicca for Beginners are better jumping off books, but The Big Blue Book is fine as well, so long as you take Uncle Bucky's Murrayistic history with a BIG grain of salt.

morningdove

• Ash
  • At home
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 03:53:58 AM »

Would you recommend getting that one right away or are there "pre-requisites" that you'd advise reading first?

FW also recommended two very good books. If I were you I would look at all three and then decide from there what you are going to get. You may see that you like one better over another.
Getting healthy so I have no more big "C" scares.

1melissa3

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31:33 AM »

Thank you, BMO, my collection was far from this extensive.  You are very helpful lately! ;D

scarlet

• Fir
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »

Okay.  I *have* already read Wicca for Beginners, it's actually what really got me to take notice that Wicca was a religion that was not only intellectually interesting, but I tended to agreed with - at least on the basic level she described.

I'm in the process of reading Drawing Down the Moon and Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner is most likely in a FedEx box with my name on it somewhere.

So I guess the question is, what is a good book after those?  Is it an either or situation with the "Big Blue Book" or should I just read as many books as possible and I'm being way too neurotic about it?

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »

I get a lot of my books on Ebay. I've gotten many for 99 cents and free shipping...YEAH. Especially during slow times. I wait til the last second and swoop in and grab em up. BWAHAHAHA! I had to put myself on an ebay vacation. I have WAY to many books that i haven't even gotten to yet.
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up