Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 23, 2014, 08:19:52 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - Advanced List  (Read 5802 times)

Mountain_Mamma

• Holly
  • One with the Moon
Re: Wiccan Book List - Advanced List
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »

*BUMP*
Laugh, Live, Love
Blessed Be

Amythestorm

• Ash
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:55 AM »

This is how I am with Drawing Down the Moon. I know it's highly recommended, but I have yet to make it through it (and I have two copies of it!) Put's me to sleep every time.

I am so glad I'm not the only one struggling to finish this book. This is about the 3rd time I've started it...I've gotten further then the last two attempts, but just can't seem to get 'absorbed' in it like I have other books. I will finish it though cuz I'm committed to it, it's become a challenge at this point. :)
"This too shall pass"
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "OH @#$%, SHE'S UP"!

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 07:08:37 AM »

Eh, I wouldn't stress it, I got a couple of pages in and have used the book as a door stop ever since.  Fluff is fluff no matter how pretty you try to make it.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Ashe Isadora

• Oak
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »

Hello, I noticed two authors who have been recommended that gave me pause.  You might want to do a little research on Edain McCoy before you buy (or believe) any of her books due to execrable facts and laughable history, and Sean Belachta - he has a very questionable reputation in the Craft community.  I urge you to Google these authors and make up your mind.

However, I'd like to add a book I haven't seen listed here - The Elements of Ritual by Deborah Lipp.  A very fine book for those who lean toward Trad Wicca. 
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »

Ok Ashe, thanks for your input there, we'll look into it further.  ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

I myself have done some searching of those authors mentioned, I can find nothing to get unnecessarily upset about though. There is a smattering of course, but I would expect no less considering how many people feel about our ways.

Ashe, if you can point me to something more conclusive; I will happily look at it. However, thanks for your own recomendation for Deborah Lipp. Any reading this thread can see your recommendation and can add that to their own wish lists.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Ashe Isadora

• Oak
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »

Hi Draconis - Well, Edaind McCoy does refer oi the Ancient Irish Potato Goddess and tells the reader to imagine ancient Irish witches skipping over the pumpkin dotted countryside.  Huh???  Potatoes and pumpkins ???  in Ireland??? Complete hogwash, the Potato Goddess is McCoy's invention.  She told a reporter she does not wish her creativity to be burdened with historical research.

As for Belachta?  The Gardnerian and Alexandrian communities both say he is NOT a BTW initiate, though he claims to be in his book on training Gard and Lexi covens.  I'd also add that such training MUST be in person, is not published and can NOT be sold.  Ever.  Not even for the price of a book.  Sean Belachta is repudiated and rejected by the traditions he claims he can teach in "13 Lessons".  Rant over, but I feel strongly about not giving these two  authors credibility for Seekers.

Lazarus Long

Ashe Isadora

• Oak
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »

Draconis, I will admit to being new at using computers.  I will give you some links to the problems with the above authors when I can figure out how to do this.  Apologies .

Lazarus Long

Micheál

• Rowan
  • Yeeeooo!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »

Oh yes yes, I highly agree with Ashe about Edain McCoy. She's claimed to have been first initiated into an ancient Irish tradition, and then later family tradition, of 'Witta' with the ancient Irish potato goddess. Well kind of hard to be ancient when the potato wasn't introduced here until the late 1500's, and people were afraid of them from being poisonous, and originally banned them.

Kind of hard for 'Witta' to be Irish as well when there's no 'W' in the Irish alphabet so witta means absolutely nothing. 'W' sounds are made with letters like 'bh' and 'mh'(like Samhain-pronounced sow-en), so to even pronounce it would be would be to spell it like 'bhuita' or something, which again doesn't mean anything.

Also the cover of her book on it has a Maypole!..so yea...she made the whole thing up...authors like her and D.J Conway should be no go's. 
Semper Fi

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »

I never buy a book with out flipping through it and reading some of it. With experience comes the ability to pick the books that hold truth. It's something everyone has to learn.

All books even of the wrong sort hold something worth learning.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Giomanach

• Meṁber
  • Alder
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »

I myself have done some searching of those authors mentioned, I can find nothing to get unnecessarily upset about though. There is a smattering of course, but I would expect no less considering how many people feel about our ways.

Ashe, if you can point me to something more conclusive; I will happily look at it. However, thanks for your own recomendation for Deborah Lipp. Any reading this thread can see your recommendation and can add that to their own wish lists.

I find a lot of Wiccans have a huge problem with Edain McCoy. Don't let it stop anyone who doesn't though.

I recommend her to anybody who wishes to read her. Personally, I don't enjoy her works, minus her book about the Sabbats. There may be a few parts I don't agree with, but overall I reference it often.

Ashe Isadora

• Oak
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »

Giomanach, I think you brought up a really good point.  Just because we cannot recommend a certain author or book doesn't mean we're  attempting to censor in any way the things a Seeker reads.  My first Wiccan teachers would not comment on reading material (mostly LLewellyn at that time) because learning discernment is part of the process.  I can see the wisdom in that.  It's just that after seeing the damage some authors have done to the Pagan community I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.
BUT, it goes without saying that Seekers should read whatever they please.

Lazarus Long

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »

The Veil's Edge - Exploring the Boundaries of Magic   By Willow Polson

Covers information on the Veil and warnings when working with it.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

gwargeek

• Cypress
  • walking the path of Wicca to soothe my soul
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »

I too have,Drawing down the Moon.Bought a few years ago,tried reading it,but man,oh man,it is one difficult book to read.I went out and bought Scott Cunninghams"Wicca"a guide for the solitary practitioner.Awesome book.It has help me out a lot.I keep going back to it,even though i havent finished reading it.I read,and reread,and make notes.

Ashe Isadora

• Oak
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »

I dearly love Scott, too.  That book brought me into the craft.  But bear in mind that he was at odds with a group (actually several) he had worked with and been initiated into and his books on  the solitary craft do reflect some biases. So I suggest you read and treasure his books on solitary practice, but don't stop there.

Lazarus Long
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up