Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 30, 2014, 09:13:24 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - Advanced List  (Read 5848 times)

Miwa

• Elm
Re: Wiccan Book List - Advanced List
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »

This is my own private collection, I am indeed lucky that Amazon takes orders from Japan. They take 1~3 weeks to arrive though :-\

"Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen"
Scott Cunningham

"Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)"
Raymond Buckland

"Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series)"
Scott Cunningham

Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)"
Scott Cunningham

"The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)"
Scott Cunningham

"Earth, Air, Fire, and Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series)"
Scott Cunningham

"Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series)"
Scott Cunningham

"The Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches Handbook"
Stewart Farrar

"Mastering Witchcraft:a Practical Guide F"
Paul a Huson

"The Roebuck in the Thicket: An Anthology of the Robert Cochrane Witchcraft Tradition"
Evan John Jones

"Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)"
Scott Cunningham

"Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic"
With Perfect Love and Perfect Trust...

ldenis

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 11:27:51 PM »

OH BOY!!! I am just beginning and I can't believe all the reading I have ahead of me. I am definitely going to find a teacher (although they don't seem very common in my area) as I believe that, although reading is mandatory, one needs practice as well. I simply think it would be best with a guide! In the meantime, I will get that popcorn back out and read, read and read.

I am going to need many more funny stories posted on my thread under the newbie section to get through all this reading (Subject: Need a study break and some humour)!!

On that note: @Miwa...your suggestions are much appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:51:49 AM by ldenis »

gingerberrycc

• Fir
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »

Rowan,

I own/have read that Edain McCoy book. Half of it is a "dictionary" of Celtic Gods, Goddesses, and Mythic/Heroic Figures. I think that because of this it would work best as a reference book for those interested in a Celtic pantheon. It has some basic information that you can find anywhere (such as element correspondences and the Sabbats), and it also includes some info that is pretty specific to a Celtic path (the Celtic Tree Calendar, for example). I particularly like the explanations of evocation and invocation, because I think a lot of people *think* that they know what these terms mean.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you've finished (or as you are) reading it.

peace

• Holly
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »

I have found an abridged version of 'The Golden Bough' by Frazier (1951) for 10 bucks at a used book store across the river from me. (45 min away). What are your thoughts on abridged or full versions of books like these? I didn't get it but maybe....I will. I'm going to check out the price of the full versionn online, and then decide. Or is an abridged version just as good?
It's all fun and games, until someone puts an eye out. - ancient global proverb from mothers.

peace

• Holly
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »

I have found an abridged version of 'The Golden Bough' by Frazier (1951) for 10 bucks at a used book store across the river from me. (45 min away). What are your thoughts on abridged or full versions of books like these? I didn't get it but maybe....I will. I'm going to check out the price of the full version online, and then decide. Or is an abridged version just as good?

Hello? Is anybody out there?
It's all fun and games, until someone puts an eye out. - ancient global proverb from mothers.

ejfinch

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »

Peace, I haven't read that one, but personally, I generally go for the whole enchilada if I'm going to buy it. I've seen that book mentioned somewhere before........if you end up getting it, let me know what you think.

Elizabeth ;)

peace

• Holly
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »

I did alittle checking after I posted the "hello" thing. The whole enchilada is 12 volumns. I found one that cost $1770.00. So maybe just a bite or a 2 hr drive into the city to check on other printed volumns. It may take a while. I was also turned onto another author by the name of Joseph Campbell, who I guess expanded on what Frazier wrote. I will be looking closer into him as well. I heard that Campbell did a series of videos before he past on that were very good as well. Made me go...hummm.

Thanks for the response Elizabeth

peace

ejfinch

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »

Twelve flippin' volumes?? Whoa!! No wonder you were wondering about a "taste". Geez...........I sure hope that thing is downright enthralling! Definately sounds like a library is the way to go, if you can find one. Sorry about the "duh" response, girl! Good luck.
Elizabeth

peace

• Holly
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 05:38:41 AM »

I went GEEZ myself when I figured it out too. lol  The full name of The Golden Bough is: The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion. You would think living in Cali that there would be a wider selection at a library, but OHHH NOOO not in my county. Unless I want to learn about Jesus or Judaism there really isn't a anything. I checked. I will let you know what happens in my pursuit. By the way, now I am begging my husband to make his enchilada's, I just can't get enough of 'em.  ;D

ejfinch

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 05:45:44 AM »

They're one of my favorite foods, too. My grandma had friend named Jenny who was a sweet Mexican woman. I still have the recipe she gave her. They are AWESOME!!  (goes away drooling now)

math

• Fir
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »

Hello? Is anybody out there?

Okay, I own a bunch of books on this, and most of them I need to go re-read again, including the one you mentioned here, but I don't own a paper copy . . . . hold up . ..

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/

other, many good books on the subject there  . . .

that's where I've read it "virtually", but I'd snap up that copy for ten bucks if I were you.
beyond word and deed

ejfinch

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 06:51:30 AM »

I just ordered "Night Battles" by Carlo Ginzburg.......has anyone read it? I was directed to read it as a good source book on Traditional Witchcraft. Just wondering what others think of it.

By the way, if anyone else read The Book of Abramelin by Von Worms..........did it make your eyes bleed too??? What a chore to read!! I'm still not sure what I got out of it.  :-X

Free

• Alder
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 05:13:01 AM »

Hi to all :)!!!

Recently I got this book called " A practical guide to Witchcraft and Magic " by Cassandra Eason and I wanted to know has anyone read this book? And if you did what's your opinion? I don't have enough knowledge to determine is this book worth of reading or not. I will read it but right now I want to read something of value.

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »

I haven't read it, but anything read is of value. It will either give you some new knowledge, give you something to compare other things to, or show you what it complete hogwash. All of those seem worth the read to me  ;D

Let us know what you think of the book. I always like to hear others take.
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »

I just ordered "Night Battles" by Carlo Ginzburg.......has anyone read it? I was directed to read it as a good source book on Traditional Witchcraft. Just wondering what others think of it.

By the way, if anyone else read The Book of Abramelin by Von Worms..........did it make your eyes bleed too??? What a chore to read!! I'm still not sure what I got out of it.  :-X

This is how I am with Drawing Down the Moon. I know it's highly recommended, but I have yet to make it through it (and I have two copies of it!) Put's me to sleep every time.
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up