Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 28, 2014, 03:50:02 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Goddess Columbia  (Read 1721 times)

Pterodactyl Handler

• Ash
The Goddess Columbia
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »

Do people worship her? Does she ever get included in people's personal pantheons?

Just curious.

Hjolmaer

Re: The Goddess Columbia
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »

Well, as this "goddess" only exists as a WWI personification of America, I would imagine not.

Though some may.  I don't.  Didn't even know about this till I looked it up to develop my response here.

Xicked

• Hawthorn
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:46:01 PM »

I wouldn't.  She seems a little needy, with her beckoning arms and pleading eyes.  And what kind of Goddess wears a hat like that?
"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable." - Albert Einstein

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
    • Snake's Myspace Page (The Snake Pit)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:49:23 PM »

I thought he meant this Columbia--

And yes, she is quite a goddess.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."--Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

Pterodactyl Handler

• Ash
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »

Well, as this "goddess" only exists as a WWI personification of America, I would imagine not.

people in this country venerate sentient plates of pasta and monsters from 1930s pulp fiction. This seems relatively traditional by comparison.

at some point, every deity existed as "some story", a personification of something intangible. She seems like a poignant figure to be included in the pantheon of this moment in history. She's equally as valid as Mars or Athena and company, she just doesn't have the classic background that everybody gets hung up on.

I saw this painting yesterday which got me thinking. It's American Progress, painted in 1872 by John Gast, and depicts Columbia leading civilization westward as a part of Manifest Destiny.

it made me wonder -- if someone were to paint Columbia today, without getting too partisan, what would she be doing? has her look changed? Would she have opinions on the daily affairs of the American public, like how McNaughton thinks that if Jesus were alive today he'd align himself with the right wing?

What kinds of things would people ask Columbia for? luck at the polls? A revitalized economy? a big tax return?

I figured some of you cats, who have elaborate relationships with our invisible space handlers, might have some thoughts on this.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »

Granted, she may not have the background that "older" deities do, many who are pan-theistic operate within established pantheons.  Some don't, and to those she may be a valid choice for reverence, despite her relative youth (look at Wicca).

But as I said above, I don't, and wouldn't.  But then, I also wouldn't worship the flying spaghetti monster, either.  Not my "cup o' tea" as it were.

Though you do make some interesting points.  What would she venerate in this day and age?

Freedom?  Actual, honest-for-truth freedom?

Something less abstract?

Hard to say.  Perhaps forward progress and personal drive (given etymological roots to Columbus), or maybe establishment of a smoother-running society, in which crime is lessened through more severe punishments, and rewards are given based on merit rather than pre-existing wealth.

Who knows.....

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »

Having only just come across this posting, it occurred to me that Columbia could represent the pioneering spirit, reaching out to embrace the new world and to unite the old with the new. The pioneer, the Seeker, the Challenger.

Of course if anyone takes on this personage as their chosen Goddess, they will imbue her with whatever aspects they feel appropriate.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:32:02 PM »

There is alot on google about Columbia.

http://www.realitysandwich.com/goddess_we_trust_americas

There is a good article  titled In Goddess We Trust: Americas Spiritual Crossroads. You'll have to type that link in. There is alot of info in there.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »

There is alot on google about Columbia.

http://www.realitysandwich.com/goddess_we_trust_americas

There is a good article  titled In Goddess We Trust: Americas Spiritual Crossroads. You'll have to type that link in. There is alot of info in there.

I bow to your knowledge and ability to source this Mari.

It would seem that Columbia has many facets that would give her honoured status with the other feminine deities. I wonder why she was so overlooked. How very sad!
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »

I think now days she is Lady Liberty ( statue of liberty). During the founding of America she was
worshipped, but with Christianity and all that. Well ya know. The author that wrote  this article,
feels that it's necessary that America returns to the worship of our goddess and that  females
should be more involved in goverment. He feels this is the only thing that can return America to what is was meant to be.

America is a very Christian nation and the worship of Columbia just would not sit well with them.
Pagan religions are growing, but we are still not in large numbers and are not tolerated well by
Christians. I will have to look to see if there is an estimate of our numbers.

I don't think its impossible that these suggestions wouldn't work. I just fear it would be far in the future.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »

I did notice in that article that Columbia was likened to the Triple Godess aspect, which I must admit surprised me, unless of course the author is well versed in Pagan matters.

And also as you mentioned she was worshipped in the early life of America. However it was done quite secretively due to the Christian majority of the population. Of course Paganism was very much frowned upon then.

Now that I have been made aware of Columbia, I intend to find out more about her.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »

America is a very Christian nation and the worship of Columbia just would not sit well with them.
Pagan religions are growing, but we are still not in large numbers and are not tolerated well by

As of a 2001 survey, about 274,000.  Not a lot.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:47:28 PM by Arnemetia »
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »

As of a 2001 survey, about 274,000.  Not a lot.
+1... I'm a convert from after that date :-p
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:52:51 PM by lucifer »
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »

As of the last survey in 2008, 682.000 admitted they were Pagans . with the estimate of only one third answering . Were getting stronger every day .

POWER TO THE PAGANS
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:33:56 PM by oldghost »
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »

As of the last survey in 2008, 682.000 admit they were Pagans . with the estimate of only one third answering . Were getting stronger every day .

POWER TO THE PAGANS

Pretty good increase in only 7 years.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up