Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 22, 2014, 04:34:41 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Original Sin  (Read 6632 times)

blue moon

• Birch
  • momentarily mourning the loss of idiocy
Re: Original Sin
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »

Original sin in context of the judeo-christian religions.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »

If you wish to leave it open to multiple concepts of original sin as they may relate to personal opinion, be my guest.  But asking about Original Sin brings in context of specific paths which have sin as a guideline.

Choice is yours.  If you're happy leaving it open to wherever it might go, then I'll redact my previous statement.

blue moon

• Birch
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »

No, tis fine. For as detailed as some of my posts seem and can be, I still stick to as near basic as *I* can allowing others to post accordingly to their own perceptions, which has been more than a little interesting.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »

That it can be. I redact my previous statement and will praticipate then.
Original sin in context of the judeo-christian religions.

The first sin? The first tree cut. At least in my opinion.

Here, this brings to mind a question: did the gods not give man knowledge of agriculture, engineering, construction?  Or at the very least fire.  Wind-fall and dead-fall are good and well, but it doesn't happen nearly enough to support these endeavors.

So would this really be a "sin"?  I think we could do it better, establish tree farms for the purpose of producing wood and wood-based products (no different than cattle farms, for example) as opposed to naturally occuring forests.

Or even tree farms in areas where there used to be naturally occuring forests.  I mean, trees were already growing there, right?

blue moon

• Birch
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »

;)

Well... Obviously at least two kinds were.

I have come across some very creative and amazing ideas among some other sites and such and just wondered if anyone here had something different.

blue moon

• Birch
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »

Don't. I like biting my tongue. It reminds me how not wise I still am[..]. I'd be more than glad to bit my tongue -again- cause of somethings I wrote about you.

Lena

What things?

Lena

• Ash
  • Persistence is too close to Obsession...
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »

Why you wrote the way you did and what you meant within them...
I think I'm starting to like pruning :P
"All people hide various of charachters within.. The question is how to summon one and avoid another." - Dr.Emil Kraepelin

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »

;)

Well... Obviously at least two kinds were.

I have come across some very creative and amazing ideas among some other sites and such and just wondered if anyone here had something different.

Why don't you put some of them up to get us started?  You know, a little kick start?
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »

Why don't you put some of them up to get us started?  You know, a little kick start?

Whilst I sit here with whetstone and shears, whistling a little tune...
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

blue moon

• Birch
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »

Alright, C_A....prune away.  8)

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »

Alright, C_A....prune away.  8)

Aw, come on I'm actually interested in what other people have said about it.  That's why I asked you to share some of the opinions you've heard.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Curt

• Willow
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »

First off, I do not believe in the concept of sin. As for the "knowledge of good and evil" I doubt if that even concerned a tree. Christian "doctrine" can be very clever at saying one thing and meaning another. I think that knowledge thing was nothing more than critical thinking. Either between Adam and Eve themselves or perhaps involving other entities. What a great "control" idea that was....original sin....nothing like holding a club over someone's head eh?

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »

What was it? Does anyone have any specific ideas? With all the tongue biting going on, I'm sure some could conjure up a few to respond accordingly.

When we talk about the original sin, the first thing to remember is that it;s a Christian concept. If we look at the Bible, when Adam and Eve were in the garden, God's only law was do not eat of the tree of wisdom. Long story short, they broke that law. So the original sin was disobedience.

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 12:44:44 AM »

Here, this brings to mind a question: did the gods not give man knowledge of agriculture, engineering, construction?  Or at the very least fire. 

In Greek mythology, the Gods punished Prometheus for giving fire to humans; "fire" in this sense seems to be metaphorical, and means intelligence, knowledge, wisdom, insight, creativity.

Similarly, the Hebrew god Yahweh punished the Serpent for persuading Humans to eat the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. This same god punished Humans again when they tried to build a tower to reach Heaven; again, I would say, a metaphor for knowledge and wisdom.

The common factor here seems to be that the "gods", whoever or whatever they are, want Humans to be stupid and obedient and docile - to be their slaves, in other words - and get quite incensed when Humans try to get uppity by becoming intelligent. They obviously want to keep all knowledge to themselves, and not allow us Human Beings to have any.

Perhaps the problem is, if we start to develop intelligence and knowledge, eventually we will begin to see that the gods are insecure frauds, petty tyrants obsessed with being worshipped, or outright hypocrites who give us rules to live by but evidently feel that they are under no obligation to obey the rules themselves.

The best way to deal with such gods as these, in my opinion, is simply to ignore them and their irate tantrums, and get on with living your life.

Alchymist
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 01:13:14 AM »

Agreed , I do not reconize the concept of the original sin . I also  think adam and eve was a nice story to start teaching young children the difference between right and wrong , and as Magus pointed out obedience . What you have to realize is there are many concepts including " the original sin " that are direct traits of a human beings need to be in control . It is one of our fatal flaws .And what better way to establish this control than to say , This is gods law or if you do that you are breaking the law of the gods .  That would have to be the ultimate wrong would it not ? To break the law of the god/gods and goddess . Free will vs. Human nature vs. The need to be in control . 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up