Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 19, 2014, 02:50:59 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: druidry  (Read 3575 times)

Draco3Aero

• Pine
  • with life make your happiness
druidry
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »

hello all, ive recently been introduced to the druids way. does any one have any insight on the subject?
jealousy is a beast not easily gored by the sharp end of a blade

Ianto

• Fir
  • Old-fashioned drunken Welshman
    • The magic never ends
Re: druidry
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »

Hello Draco;
I've been following the path of Druidry all my life. How can I help you?
Save the World. It's the only place with chocolate.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »

Also check out the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids at http://www.druidry.org/
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Draco3Aero

• Pine
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »

well the basics , how does it work and what are the principles?
 thank you all for replying

Ianto

• Fir
  • Old-fashioned drunken Welshman
    • The magic never ends
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »

Short version of "What is a Druid?"
A white robed beer drinking tree hugger.
Seriously I can best speak about Welsh traditional Druidry because that is what I am most familiar with. Though I would agree with Wyldkat about taking a look at the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids. They have a very good video out that I heartily recommend it's here.
http://youtu.be/-NccJ89BupI

That pretty much covers the basics in an appealing way. There is a Druid prayer that is said to unite all Druids. here it is presented at the Welsh Gorsedd during the Welsh national Eisteddfod;
http://youtu.be/AzwqEryew58

Hope this is both helpful and interesting.
Save the World. It's the only place with chocolate.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »

Oh, I forgot I put up an article on it here:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-in-san-jose/modern-druids

Here's the text:

Druidism, also known as Druidry, is a modern reconstruction of the ancient practices of Celtic Europe. Modern Druidry started around three hundred years ago when people started to connect the druids with Stonehenge and when John Toland founded the Ancient Order of Druids in 1717. Many ideas about druids were romanticized in the 18th century, although there are reconstruction groups that do their best to learn and follow the ancient practices as closely as possible.

Druidism is a diverse, extremely nature based pagan path. A belief in multiple reincarnations is common, as well as a belief in an Otherworld. Druids have an attitude of reverence towards all life. Much like followers of shamanism they tend to see the universe as a web of life in which all things are included. The three goals of a druid are wisdom, creativity and love.

One of the well known aspects of Druidry is the Ogham, a set of symbols with a similar purpose to Nordic runes. Each symbol is associated with a letter and a tree. The tree and the symbol hold the same symbolism. Some also connect each symbol and tree with a particular lunar month.

Although all of nature is revered, some trees and plants are also viewed as particularly sacred, like mistletoe and oak. Certain creatures are held in more importance as well, like the salmon and the female red deer.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Draco3Aero

• Pine
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »

thank you all. im so happy to have this information i cant express my gratitude. every time i tried to research this topic  google gave world of warcraft. ha. i am however now more than ever intriguid

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:21:50 PM »

Try here . www. druidry.org. oldghost
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Draco3Aero

• Pine
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »

are there any activities a druid commences in. its said druids are wary of spell for their outcomes. but are there any hands on activities that are predominantly druidic? im a little enthralled with this ^-^

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »

If I remember right there is three druidic path , Priest , Healer/Teacher ; Bard.  I'm sure there are other here that can answer better then I can . Have you run a search here on the subject. oldghost

Draco3Aero

• Pine
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »

yes ive ran a search in druidry.org ( LOVE THIS SITE) it has told me alot but with graduation the stress has taken its toll on my memory lol . thnk you oldghost

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »

Any time were here to help each other , if we can't do something as simple as that we should not be here. So anytime Draco all you have to do is ask.oldghost

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 11:06:18 PM »

Any time were here to help each other , if we can't do something as simple as that we should not be here. So anytime Draco all you have to do is ask.oldghost

You are a really nice guy and we are lucky to have you. :)
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Draco3Aero

• Pine
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »

well said earthbound spirit , well said . druids seem to thrive on wisdom, creativity, and love. but have many , i mean tons, of honorable, chivarlrous, characteristics. i love it. ovates , bards and  druids seems like a class system, not exactly a rank though. i am getting all this from www.druidry.org. courtesy of oldghost and wyldkat. thnks guys. please correct me on any mistakes. its 2 am here so g'night to all and vivid dreams.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »

Druidry has probably had more bullshit written about it than anything else. Druids were a Priestly caste of people, contiguous with, but not ethnically related to Neolithic Europeans. Their influence was throughout Western Europe, and Scandinavia. It's roots go back certainly to Mesopotamia, predating the Bronze Age, as can be seen from the Astronomical Layout of Stone Circles. From a purely practical point of view, it was a big help to the stone people age to have some geeks around who could build accurate calenders, (and read them) It enabled the first Agriculture to happen. Their Astronomical influence can be seen from the Himalayas to the Baltic, from the Med, to Scandinavia, from the Baltic to Egypt, and Western Africa. Everywhere, in fact that the Phoenician trade routes went.

About 4-5000 years ago there seems to have been some kind of diaspora from the Mediterranean & Levant, possibly due to Volcanic Activity, coinciding with the spread of Bronze, Metallurgy, the first Warfare and the appearance of religious traditions that weren't based solely around Corn Goddesses.

This is when the people we think of as "Druids" consolidated their position into a Socio-political network of educated "Priests" and were evidently centered, and trained for this Priesthood, from an ethnically Brythonic Britain & Ireland. (Remember this is still a long time before the Fathers of the Celts came North) This is borne out by Lingual influence. The only traces of Brythonic language are Welsh, & Basque (the Pyrenese being another cultural outpost, like Britain) with the same genetic marker as the fair skinned people found (and butchered) in the Canary Islands, by the Spanish in the early 1500s. 

Brythonic is totally unrelated to any other Indo-European Language, and no-one can say for sure where it originated, but it's probably as old as the Beaker-folk. Who were pre-agricultural Paleolithic from when Britain still had a land bridge to Northern France. This is borne out by a sudden industrial regression in Britain, coinciding with the end of the last vestiges of last Ice Age. The art of making earthenware wasn't picked up again for thousands of years in isolated Britain.  The legendary first King of Albion was Brutus, who was supposed to have arrived in Britain as leader of a diaspora of Trojans, fleeing the wrath of the Atreides after losing the Trojan War.

They settled in the area where London is now. London was established as a trade post by the Phoenicians, being the farthest inland they could sail their longships up the Thames.
The earliest buildings there, were Temples to the Gods of Arcadian Greece. And when the Romans began trading there, the predominant Tribe in the area were the Trinovantes (Troy Novantum) or "New Trojans".

All this gives a period of anything up to 4000 years for those early Chaldean Priests, (themselves driven out of Babylon by the spread of the Jehovah Cult)  to establish socio-political ties with all the Tribal civilisations of Western Europe and Scandinavia. Also why the Romans were so keen to wipe them out. As the Roman Empire stretched across Europe, these "Druids" had a perfect resistance network set-up.  

In fact, technically, it was only last year that the Roman Law "No Druid shall be allowed to set foot in Britain, upon pain of death" was lifted, with the State acceptance of "Druidry" as a religion.
What we classically think of now as a Druid, is mostly based on Victorian romantic revivalism, and has very little basis in fact.  

The only written historical reference to Druids was by Julius Caesar (The Romans, were admittedly, biased) who painted them as Barbaric, Human Sacrificing Madmen, with stories of people (Romans, mostly) being burned alive in Wickermen. Just standard Romanist propaganda. The archaelogical and cultural markers though, can be traced much more surely than Caesar's sparse mentioning of "Druids". So the whole "Druid" tradition as we think of it today, was just the Victorians romanticizing the tail end of a far older, nameless tradition that spans the whole of History, encompasses the whole of civilization, and goes back to the very first Astronomical cultures which we can trace back to the Stone Age.

They were probably the original Dionysiac Architects or "first builders" referred to in Masonic lore, (Itself partly lifted from the earlier Orphic Mysteries) They're possibly descended from the Nephilum mentioned in the Old Testament.

Definitely, the Culdees, who were mercilessly put down as Heretics by the early Catholics, were Chaldeans. ("Culdees" = Chuldees or"Chaldeans")   Also, the Serpent Cults, that were always the "Bringers of wisdom" may well have been a reference to the Serpent prowed longboats of the Phoenicians, (Made famous by the Vikings, whose Fathers were descended from the Phoenician Sea Traders) who carried the diaspora of Chaldeans to the far flung shores of Britain. (Possibly even as far as Mexico too.)

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up