Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 28, 2014, 05:21:13 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: druidry  (Read 3272 times)

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: druidry
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »

Thanks EBS , your so sweet . I do not know the Order so Draco i will hold of till I talk to my friend in England . It the Druidic order that holds the ceremony at Stonehenge , I believe they have there own site just don't know it but will ask asap . oldghost
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »

Okay got it ......http://www. stonehenge-druids. org/index html..........oldghost
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:49:49 AM by oldghost »

Ianto

• Fir
  • Old-fashioned drunken Welshman
    • The magic never ends
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »

Druidry has probably had more bullshit written about it than anything else. Druids were a Priestly caste of people, contiguous with, but not ethnically related to Neolithic Europeans. Their influence was throughout Western Europe, and Scandinavia. It's roots go back certainly to Mesopotamia, predating the Bronze Age, as can be seen from the Astronomical Layout of Stone Circles. From a purely practical point of view, it was a big help to the stone people age to have some geeks around who could build accurate calenders, (and read them) It enabled the first Agriculture to happen. Their Astronomical influence can be seen from the Himalayas to the Baltic, from the Med, to Scandinavia, from the Baltic to Egypt, and Western Africa. Everywhere, in fact that the Phoenician trade routes went.

About 4-5000 years ago there seems to have been some kind of diaspora from the Mediterranean & Levant, possibly due to Volcanic Activity, coinciding with the spread of Bronze, Metallurgy, the first Warfare and the appearance of religious traditions that weren't based solely around Corn Goddesses.

This is when the people we think of as "Druids" consolidated their position into a Socio-political network of educated "Priests" and were evidently centered, and trained for this Priesthood, from an ethnically Brythonic Britain & Ireland. (Remember this is still a long time before the Fathers of the Celts came North) This is borne out by Lingual influence. The only traces of Brythonic language are Welsh, & Basque (the Pyrenese being another cultural outpost, like Britain) with the same genetic marker as the fair skinned people found (and butchered) in the Canary Islands, by the Spanish in the early 1500s. 

Brythonic is totally unrelated to any other Indo-European Language, and no-one can say for sure where it originated, but it's probably as old as the Beaker-folk. Who were pre-agricultural Paleolithic from when Britain still had a land bridge to Northern France. This is borne out by a sudden industrial regression in Britain, coinciding with the end of the last vestiges of last Ice Age. The art of making earthenware wasn't picked up again for thousands of years in isolated Britain.  The legendary first King of Albion was Brutus, who was supposed to have arrived in Britain as leader of a diaspora of Trojans, fleeing the wrath of the Atreides after losing the Trojan War.

They settled in the area where London is now. London was established as a trade post by the Phoenicians, being the farthest inland they could sail their longships up the Thames.
The earliest buildings there, were Temples to the Gods of Arcadian Greece. And when the Romans began trading there, the predominant Tribe in the area were the Trinovantes (Troy Novantum) or "New Trojans".

All this gives a period of anything up to 4000 years for those early Chaldean Priests, (themselves driven out of Babylon by the spread of the Jehovah Cult)  to establish socio-political ties with all the Tribal civilisations of Western Europe and Scandinavia. Also why the Romans were so keen to wipe them out. As the Roman Empire stretched across Europe, these "Druids" had a perfect resistance network set-up.  

In fact, technically, it was only last year that the Roman Law "No Druid shall be allowed to set foot in Britain, upon pain of death" was lifted, with the State acceptance of "Druidry" as a religion.
What we classically think of now as a Druid, is mostly based on Victorian romantic revivalism, and has very little basis in fact.  

The only written historical reference to Druids was by Julius Caesar (The Romans, were admittedly, biased) who painted them as Barbaric, Human Sacrificing Madmen, with stories of people (Romans, mostly) being burned alive in Wickermen. Just standard Romanist propaganda. The archaelogical and cultural markers though, can be traced much more surely than Caesar's sparse mentioning of "Druids". So the whole "Druid" tradition as we think of it today, was just the Victorians romanticizing the tail end of a far older, nameless tradition that spans the whole of History, encompasses the whole of civilization, and goes back to the very first Astronomical cultures which we can trace back to the Stone Age.

They were probably the original Dionysiac Architects or "first builders" referred to in Masonic lore, (Itself partly lifted from the earlier Orphic Mysteries) They're possibly descended from the Nephilum mentioned in the Old Testament.

Definitely, the Culdees, who were mercilessly put down as Heretics by the early Catholics, were Chaldeans. ("Culdees" = Chuldees or"Chaldeans")   Also, the Serpent Cults, that were always the "Bringers of wisdom" may well have been a reference to the Serpent prowed longboats of the Phoenicians, (Made famous by the Vikings, whose Fathers were descended from the Phoenician Sea Traders) who carried the diaspora of Chaldeans to the far flung shores of Britain. (Possibly even as far as Mexico too.)

This is excellent Serpentium. I do not agree with every thing here, my own research has brought slightly different results, but all in all you have  presented a terrific piece.
Save the World. It's the only place with chocolate.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:23 AM »

Thanks
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Bull Snake Boots

• Elm
  • Living is creating.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »

I wonder how they made their clothing. I'd really like to study druids. What kind of evidence do we have of them? Is it just writings from other groups like the Romans, or are there other things to? Any evidence besides Stonehenge, say tools or stone writing?

Bull Snake Boots

• Elm
  • Living is creating.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »

Can anyone tell me when or where to have a samhain festival? I want to do something for halloween and although my main focus is on druidry, I am willing to learn wiccan as well. I don't know for sure yet what they call samhain in the druid community but I'd like to celebrate with people this year.

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »

I am thinking Samhain can be considered a Pagan religion, so the Druids would call it Samhain as well =) I don't know though because I have no clue about Druidism =/

I was just searching on some Druidry myself and on wikipedia they said [quoteAmongst many Druids, there is a system of tree lore, through which different associations are attributed to different species of tree, including particular moods, actions, phases of life, deities and ancestors][/quote]

I was just curious if this is true for anyone on this board and maybe where I can get more information about it because it sounds very interestiong. =) I googled "Tree Lore in neo druidism" and not too much came up but I read there was Pagan tree lore. Are they the same thing or do they differ slightly?
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." -C.B.

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »

Can anyone tell me when or where to have a samhain festival? I want to do something for halloween and although my main focus is on druidry, I am willing to learn wiccan as well. I don't know for sure yet what they call samhain in the druid community but I'd like to celebrate with people this year.

Why not have a Samhain festival in an open area with a corn maze and hay rides and pumpkin patchers and fun traditonal stuff like that? Can I come?  :D By the word festival, I am thinking you want it to be rather large, so by a corn maze would be great. If you want just a little party, I would say just have it at your place and plan fun activities and make fun holiday foods!  When? You can have it on Samhain or whenever you would like to simply celebrate the holiday.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »

KissTheMiMes a good place to look up info on many things is this site  ......www. esotericarechives . com .... hope this will help you find what you want . If you can find it a go book on Druidism is  W. Winwood Reade's " The Veil Of Isis".

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »

I wonder how they made their clothing. I'd really like to study druids. What kind of evidence do we have of them? Is it just writings from other groups like the Romans, or are there other things to? Any evidence besides Stonehenge, say tools or stone writing?

As to the Druids, Julius Cesar wrote about them as he killed them. Not a lot of in depth study there, more just his impressions. In fact, I'm not aware of any physical object that can be linked to the Druids 100%. The Romans were very efficient in wiping them out of the history books and existence.

As to Stonehenge, from what I've read it wasn't built by the Druids but rather by "the Greenmen". Very little is known about them as they died out or where killed off long before the Druids came on scene. The only thing remaining on them is a few carvings and relics.

There is no first hand recorded history of either the Druids or the Greenmen. It remains a question, to me at least, weather the Druids even existed outside of Cesar's accounts. Could well be that he was glorifying one or two Celtic tribes in order to justify his efforts to control the area.

Bull Snake Boots

• Elm
  • Living is creating.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »

I think I will celebrate it the way you said, next to a corn maze. We actually have some around here which are gigantic and filled with people dressed up as all kinds of monsters. I want to really celebrate it for 4 days this year: Night before Halloween (Oct. 30th), Halloween (Oct. 3st) which is also the birthday of someone I know, and then Samhuinn (Nov 1st) and then the day after (Nov. 2nd).

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »

Also, there are no contemporary accounts of Druids being Priests or Wizards at all. They were an educated elite at the time of the Roman subjugation of the Celts. The reason the Romans were so draconian in their treatment of Druids is that they became a conduit for the anti-Roman resistance movement. Julius Caesar's   accounts of the Druids were probably the closest and most accurate contemporaneous accounts available. At least Caesar was writing from his own experience of them. It was well after Caesar's time that the Druids became a threat to the Pax Romanus, so Caesar's accounts wouldn't have been too biased or steeped in propaganda. (Other than them being Barbarians, of course)
The romantic idea of the Druid in his Holy Groves is mostly due to Victorian Romanticists, and they were inspired by Mallory's "Morte de Arthur", a piece of Romantic Fiction, that had Merlin as King Arthur's Druid/Wizard.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:00:00 PM by Serpentium »
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

KissTheMiMes

• Cypress
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »

KissTheMiMes a good place to look up info on many things is this site  ......www. esotericarechives . com .... hope this will help you find what you want . If you can find it a go book on Druidism is  W. Winwood Reade's " The Veil Of Isis".

Thank you so much! =}

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »

(If you can find it a go book on Druidism is  W. Winwood Reade's " The Veil Of Isis".)

Haven't read that book but I might.
Just need to ask though.....when speaking about Druids, why would we bring Isis into the discussion?
I mean, the Celtic and Egyption cultures....I just can't see the link.

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »

There is archaeological evidence that tells us the Druidic presence was well established in the 3rd Century BC and much that suggests that they went back as far as the 2nd Millennium BC. The earliest written source for the Druids are the writings of Timaeus, but unfortunately they only survived in quotations from later writers like Pliny & Siculus. Timaeus' contemporary, Pytheas of Massalia contributed to Timaeus' source writing with primary accounts of Druids. Although no writings of Pytheas are known to exist on Druids, he would definitely have encountered them He was widely travelled in the Mediterranean, and was the first to write of Britain, and describes his circumnavigation of the Islands, so he was contemporaneously accurate. Much of the next accounts are from Posidonius, whose Histories, (now lost) was widely quoted, and seems to be the main source from which Strabo and Siculus wrote their accounts of Druids and Celts.
However, the non-written archeological and cultural evidence for Druids goes back as far as the Chaldeans, and the Assyrians.
Pytheas tells of the British Druids being a Moon Worshipping Cult, and this is borne out by the Coligny Calendar, attributed to the Druids which is unusually, a Lunar Calender. This was the method that the Magi and the Chaldeans used rather than the less complex Solar Calendar that the Greeks and European Celtic peoples were using at that time.   
This Calendar can trace it's Lunar roots back to the Assyrians in the 3rd millenium BC, which suggests the Druids had cultural ties in Mesopotamia.

They also were recorded as having the belief in Transmigration of the Soul and of the Souls immortality, an entirely alien and contrary idea to the accepted Greek view, but it was a view that suddenly found popularity with the Pythagoreans in the 6th C.
This is indicative of a link between the Ancient Druids described by Pythea in the 3rdC Bc to the Pythagoreans, nearly 900 years later.
And the Orphic Mysteries pick up this transmigration of the soul as well, which ties in with what little is known about the Druid's religious beliefs. 
The Mysteries of Isis, the slaying of Osiris, and the Birth of the Child Horus or the New Sun, takes place using the same Lunar based Calendar as the Druid's Coligny Calendar. And this Calendar seems to have been followed throughout the Mediterranean in the Mystery Schools of the Ephesians, the Attic mysteries of the Phrygians, the Mithraic religion of the Roman Legions,  the Cabiric rites of the Samothracians. The unifying factor in these traditions is the Death, and rebirth of the Solar Principle, and is dependent upon the Lunar Calendar's accuracy for predicting the correct points of the year.

Solstices, Equinoxes, and quarter day festivals were all an Agricultural people like the Celts needed to get by on. Yet the Druids had extensive knowledge of  Astronomy, which didn't figure into the Celtic Calendar. But did in the Ptolemaic and the Chaldean's more Maritime Cultures. And I think this is the clue that says the Druids had knowledge sourced from a cultural base that was not shared by the Gaul;s/Celts. There isn't any evidence to say that the Druids were even Celtic peoples. The Romans found that the Druids were present, as a separate Caste of intellectuals, throughout the lands of the Celts, and Gauls. The nomenclature Celt, was pretty much interchangeable with that of Gaul as far as the Romans were concerned. They made no cultural distinction between them. But the Druids were present all through the Tribes, as a Philosophical and Intellectual Caste, serving what we might say was an Administrative role. Not part of the Ruling Class, but not without influence either.
Celtic and Egyptian culture had links through the Seafaring Chaldeans, who had trade routes from the Black Sea, across the Med, right up into Scandinavia. And along these routes sprang up many places of learning. They definitely traded in Britain, from the early 1st Ml BC, and there are contemporaneous Temples dedicated to both Egyptian, and Greek Mystery Schools among the earliest places in what is today's London. The Tower of London is built over an ancient Temple dedicated to Apollo. There was also a Temple of Thoth/Hermes, and there were other Temples all along the Thames. Or the Isis, as it was called back then.  A short stretch of the Thames is still called the Thamisis today.   

And nowhere is it directly recorded that Druids were any kind of Priesthood.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up