Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 25, 2014, 08:06:38 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stonehenge  (Read 1179 times)

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Stonehenge
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »

Think of all that has been lost to us over the years due to our wanting to own the land which is not ours to own . We are the caregivers of this world nothing more . It is our job to keep it safe for all times , we are the protectors of this special place not it's owner .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Pure

• Pine
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »

Think of all that has been lost to us over the years due to our wanting to own the land which is not ours to own . We are the caregivers of this world nothing more . It is our job to keep it safe for all times , we are the protectors of this special place not it's owner .

But how can we protect and cherish the special places in our world when so few people appear to care? How can the 5% prevail when it seems 95% are bent on mindless consumption and eventual destruction of everything:( 

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. Oscar Wilde

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2013, 11:22:27 AM »

Determination and education.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »

Stonehenge is without doubt a magical place; I was there in 1972 when it was possible to walk right up to the stones and touch them. I was with a small group, but there were times when I could feel I was completely alone there and in touch with the spirit of the place.

I went again about 2002, and some of the magic had gone; there were hundreds of people, and no-one could get any closer to the actual stones than about 50ft. It was still magnificent though, and well worth a visit.

My wife Myranda and I were in southwest Ireland two or three years later, and we visited the Drombeg stone circle near Clonakilty, west of Cork; smaller than Stonehenge, but still magnificent, in a shallow coombe overlooking the open Atlantic Ocean. Myranda, who is very intuitive at times, suddenly felt the urge to play her bodhran (Irish hand drum) in the centre of the circle; after a minute or two of playing she said to me "Can you hear that?" Indeed I could; the stones were "singing" back to us, a wild high keening note, an overtone of the pitch of the drum itself - and suddenly I knew why the builders of Stonehenge had needed to transport those Bluestones all the way from the Preseli Mountains of South Wales, 200 kilometres away.

Preseli Bluestone is still quarried today, mostly to be made into jewellery; and the main quarry is close to a village called Maenclochog - the English translation would be something like "Stone that rings like a bell." The builders of Stonehenge wanted a particular kind of stone with special acoustic properties, that would resonate in a particular way to sounds that would be produced inside the circle - perhaps from drumming and/or chanting.

Recent research seems to have borne out this conjecture of mine. Our ancestors who built these ancient structures were no skin-wearing savages, as they have been depicted in countless books and magazine articles - and even English Heritage official publications; Not only were they astronomical technicians, capable of erecting 25-ton stones in astronomically precise alignments; they were also consummate acoustic engineers, who knew not only the exact kind of stone they wanted, but also where to find it.

Alchymist.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »

Amazing Alch o.o Just once in my lifetime, I would love to visit Stonehenge and other circles there, let alone touch them.

Stones that sing? Now I want to hear it myself. Would be a wonderful and magical experience.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up