Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 23, 2014, 02:45:04 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: native american path??  (Read 3509 times)

dark magus

• Apple
Re: native american path??
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »

The Native Americans had the pain based initiation of the Ghost dance, supposed to summon back Tribal ancestors. (Which I believe is still  illegal under Federal Law)

Actually Serp, I think you'll find that the ghost dance didn't come about until some time after most of the tribes were put on reservations. It was a protest dance and a prayer for the end of the whitemans expansion across the west. Because of that, it was a federal offense to do the ghost dance.

Another dance that was very common among the trbes was the sun dance, which involved body piercing. It was also known as the rain dance. It's purpose was to find your connection to the tree of life and reveal the great mystery.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:26:07 PM by dark magus »

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »

I have found it very difficult to find information about my Cherokee heritage. Grandma had all
of the info in her Bible. When she passed on no one could find it. I found her sister in Kansas,
but she was very old and couldn't remember much. All I know is  Grandma lived on the reser-
vation in Oklahoma and Her maiden name was Feese. It's very sad. I will try that link Khara.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 10:09:47 AM »

I have found it very difficult to find information about my Cherokee heritage. Grandma had all
of the info in her Bible. When she passed on no one could find it. I found her sister in Kansas,
but she was very old and couldn't remember much. All I know is  Grandma lived on the reser-
vation in Oklahoma and Her maiden name was Feese. It's very sad. I will try that link Khara.

yeah, try and get copies of birth certificates if you can, though it is doubtful anyone put NA on there for fear of being taken away.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 05:22:31 AM »

Marisol and all other check this site out........www. archives. gov/ research/native-americans............you can find information on your Cherokee ancestors.

" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

ForgottenCoasts

• Elm
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »

I nope you guys dont mind me re bringing up this topic. :S I too have native american heritage, unfortunately I wouldn't even know where to begin looking because my father was adopted of sorts and my grandmother (who raised him) passed a few years ago and unfortunately she is the only one who would have any sort of information :(

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »

If you know which reservation, perhaps they would have records?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

ForgottenCoasts

• Elm
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »

Unfortunately I don't even know that. Or what my father's parents names were or anything. : /

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 04:24:59 AM »

Oh well, it was just an idea. there's got to be something somewhere that would help you, it's just a case of finding it. Don't give up.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 10:07:33 AM »

Couldn't you do one of those dna cheek swab tests where they can check your ancestry? Im not sure if they can single out certain ones like Native American ancestry since I've barely looked into it myself. You could see if there is a location nearby rather than sending it in through the mail. Just have to find a reputable one and do research o: just an idea.

ForgottenCoasts

• Elm
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »

Good idea, moolit and I've been meaning to check out one of those sites that help you find ancestors

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »

DNA testing costs thousands of dollars.

Records are being updated every day as the tribes work to get the correct information out there.  If you have your birth grandparents names you should be able to find ut quite a lot from the links already mentioned ITT.

Do you have any idea what tribe your family was from? 

I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

ForgottenCoasts

• Elm
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »

None, what so ever especially considering my dad wasn't adopted through official channels, his mom basically abandoned him and my grandma Tony ended up raising him. Furthermore they have no idea who the father was so : /. Makes finding that info just a bit troublesome.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »

None, what so ever especially considering my dad wasn't adopted through official channels, his mom basically abandoned him and my grandma Tony ended up raising him. Furthermore they have no idea who the father was so : /. Makes finding that info just a bit troublesome.

There is a birth certificate somewhere.  All you really need is a name for now.  Mother would do. 

If your history is this unknown, what makes you believe you are native?

ForgottenCoasts

• Elm
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »

Yeah i was think about asking my dad what his mothers name was and I believe I am at least partly native american because not only does my dad really look it , The only thing we know about my dads father was that he was native american and basically nothing else, no name or whatever : /. But yeah I'll see what I can find out about biological grandmother, from what I heard she died quite a while ago so If my dad knows that he probably knows a bit more about her.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up