Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 27, 2014, 03:58:51 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: native american path??  (Read 3095 times)

Darkheart

• Elm
native american path??
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »

I had a dream today that i was a wolf resting by a tree in the forest. An eagle flew overhead and a feather landed beside me.

At first, i thought i was being called to explore Native American magic. I've had no luck finding any study material. I'm thinking perhaps i should just start with nature magic in general and focus more later.

Can anyone recommend a good book of this sort? I know I'm drawn to nature, just trying to discover which path :)

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
Re: native american path??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »

In it's essence, all magic is "nature" magic; there are some good books on American Indian practices; I can recommend "Rolling Thunder" by Doug Boyd.  Fascinating insight... you can get it for a couple of bucks on eBay...
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
~Thomas Paine

Darkheart

• Elm
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »

Thank you Firesong :)

I feel called to an ecclectic mix of Native American and Celtic magic. I can't tell you exactly why or how..i just feel it...

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »

you may want to explore the works of Tom Cowan.  He mixes shamanism with celtic roots.  My friend took his courses.  Sadly she passed over last year right as she began teaching me.  I  am on my own path now...
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

Darkheart

• Elm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:56 PM »

Soulfire,

Sounds intriguing. I'll definitely take a look. Thanks :)

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 05:02:51 AM »

You could also get "The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner. While its not specific to Native American practices, it may be worthwhile.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Harner
Power corrupts not only those that wield power, but also those that submit to it.  ~Louis L'amour

Interested in a blog about Catholic Seminary and escaping the Catholic Charismatic Renewal?  http://elquesograndeblog.wordpress.com/

Darkheart

• Elm
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 05:56:54 AM »

Thank you cheese ...

I have looked at that book, actually ...I am really being pulled to the shaman path...

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »

Darkheart , you may want to try " The Foundation For Shamanic Studies " at .......www. shamanism. org...... good luck on your path. oldghost
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Darkheart

• Elm
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:40 AM »

Thank you so much oldghost :)

Will definitely have to check it out!!

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »

Any time , If you do not help others they can never help others ; an at times we all need help. oldghost
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Prester

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »

Also keep in mind that over the years, North American Indians were forced to give up, not only their language, but their spiritual beliefs as well.

Standard Christianity seemed to decimate almost everything the Natives held dear. If you refused to convert, you were murdered.

I once asked my father about books regarding our Choctaw history. He said that there weren't many sources of written information because so many of the tribes were forced to abandon their beautiful heritage. Therefore, much of the history was simply handed down from generation to generation in ceremony and private conversation as apposed to being physically documented.

I truly hope that a treasure trove of information does exist out there somewhere. It would be tragic if such wondrous knowledge was just gone forever.

Blessed be.
- Don't look at me,
        It wasn't my Dragon.

Darkheart

• Elm
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »

Prester, this is tnrue...just like the Celts, Christianity attempted to destroy their beliefs. I'm afraid all that remains is their oral tradition...

Starrry_Night

• Fir
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »

It breaks my heart to see religions decimate other religions. I have tried to find info about my Cherokee heritage but can barely find any info that's pre-colonial. I have tried to learn some of there language but I don't have anyone to speak it with so it makes it difficult.
Religion is a personal and spiritual journey to find ones self and to achieve a oneness with their surroundings.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »

It breaks my heart to see religions decimate other religions. I have tried to find info about my Cherokee heritage but can barely find any info that's pre-colonial. I have tried to learn some of there language but I don't have anyone to speak it with so it makes it difficult.

The Cherokee are the only American Indians who developed a written alphabet, and it's not been lost.  For more information about Cherokee tribal customs, try http://www.manataka.org 

There is a lot of good info there...
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
~Thomas Paine

Starrry_Night

• Fir
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »

thank u firesong
Religion is a personal and spiritual journey to find ones self and to achieve a oneness with their surroundings.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up