Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 22, 2014, 09:19:59 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WICCAN VS WITCH  (Read 8891 times)

Jewel

WICCAN VS WITCH
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

I have been reading a lot lately and came across mention of what makes a wiccan as apposed to being a witch. the argument being proposed was that Wiccans are goal oriented to being "GOOD" and reaching for the "LIGHT" as in contrast a "Witch" may choose to play the Devil's advocate at times and be dark. What are your thoughts on this? I feel personally that this is a true thing.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
Re: WICCAN VS WITCH
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »

Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is a practice.  You don't have to be a Wiccan to be a witch or vice versa.  There are certain things a person must do/believe to be considered a Wiccan.  None of that is required to be a witch.  We have a couple of Christian witches that post here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:01:49 PM by Earthbound Spirit »
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

morningdove

• Ash
  • At home
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »

There is both good and bad in everyone, it is how we choose to live our lives and react to things around us that determines which side we allow to show. Comes down to....choice....regardless of what you practice.
Getting healthy so I have no more big "C" scares.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:40:13 AM »

I thought this was going to be a "Who would win in a fight of powers?" thread. *Disappointed*   

But while I'm here, who would win?
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

claudette

• Willow
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »

Witches would win, of course.

Rainn

• Pine
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »

I have been reading a lot lately and came across mention of what makes a wiccan as apposed to being a witch. the argument being proposed was that Wiccans are goal oriented to being "GOOD" and reaching for the "LIGHT" as in contrast a "Witch" may choose to play the Devil's advocate at times and be dark. What are your thoughts on this? I feel personally that this is a true thing.

References?

~Rainn

I'm already there...
I'm the beat in your heart
I'm the moonlight shining down
I'm the whisper in the wind
And I'll be there until the end
~ Lonestar

Jewel

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »

Rainin...I was reading an article posted on WITCHVOX, can't seem to find it right now but it mentioned that being a 'Witch" gave one the option, as it were, to do a bit of damage if necessary. That "WICCA" was the promotion of LIGHT and feel good emanations and could not work in the "dark."

Rainn

• Pine
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »

Rainin...I was reading an article posted on WITCHVOX, can't seem to find it right now but it mentioned that being a 'Witch" gave one the option, as it were, to do a bit of damage if necessary. That "WICCA" was the promotion of LIGHT and feel good emanations and could not work in the "dark."

So ... you read one article at witchvox... and that's how you came to the conclusion that you shared with us as your very first post? 

Interesting! 

~Rainn

I'm already there...
I'm the beat in your heart
I'm the moonlight shining down
I'm the whisper in the wind
And I'll be there until the end
~ Lonestar

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »

Sounds more like Jewel is asking a question Rainn and after all we learn by asking . An again she could have read a hundred books and only come across this once , so she asked . After all it's kindness to newbie month. oldghost
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:05:30 PM »

Sounds more like Jewel is asking a question Rainn and after all we learn by asking . An again she could have read a hundred books and only come across this once , so she asked . After all it's kindness to newbie month. oldghost

When some of us call people on their laxity it isn't ALWAYS just to be RUDE.
Five mnutes and a quick trip through "search" could have answered this quite nicely without the THREE HUNDREDTH ASKING of the same old question....

“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »

I am not aware of anything in Wicca that would forbid me from cursing someone as long as I am prepared for the reprecussions.  Look up the Crone aspects of the Lady/Goddess.  She aint exactly the friendliest thing in the universe.  Wicca is not all about being Light as you put it.  There has to be a darkside to balance things out.  Balance is very integral in Wicca.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 05:00:09 AM »

EBS. "The Dark side of Wicca"  ::)
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 06:34:03 AM »

Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is a practice.  You don't have to be a Wiccan to be a witch or vice versa.  There are certain things a person must do/believe to be considered a Wiccan.  None of that is required to be a witch.  We have a couple of Christian witches that post here.

This...  witchcraft doesn't require religion; it is incorporated into the practice of some religions, but operates beautifully either way. 
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
~Thomas Paine

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 06:47:55 AM »

...it mentioned that being a 'Witch" gave one the option, as it were, to do a bit of damage if necessary. That "WICCA" was the promotion of LIGHT and feel good emanations and could not work in the "dark."

Emphasis mine...

If we're going to continue this inanity, I might as well jump in and say that this part makes me cringe.

It is utter and absolute nonsense.  Poetically or otherwise.  I for ONE WICCAN point of view am good and tired of fifteen-year-old girls using Rainbow Brites for POPPETS and My Little Ponys as representations of the Divine...AND CALLING IT WICCA because Wicca seems just.."Soooo....I don't know, like, all sweet and light and junk"...

In the "Transient and Mutable Laws of THE World As We Know It(tm)" it states:

Rule NUMBER ONE:  You will not cure if you will not curse; you will not heal if you will not hex.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »

EBS. "The Dark side of Wicca"  ::)

I will take that as a complement....  :-p

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up