Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 24, 2014, 05:28:14 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shaman as a Role  (Read 874 times)

Tsakara

• Fir
  • I aim to misbehave
Shaman as a Role
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »

So, I've been trying for a while to find my path, and feeling myself out, and for the most part I'm pretty squarely Wiccan. I follow the beliefs and customs of British traditionalism, and I definitely feel that that is my path spiritually.

However, I feel that my role is that of a shaman. I'm not too interested in shamanism as a belief system, it appeals to me, but not nearly as much as Wicca does. However, it appeals to me as a role. As a healer, a spiritual guide, leader, and teacher. These are all traits I want to exemplify. I want to fullfill basically all the cultural roles of a shaman, using Wicca as the belief system to support this.

Is this possible? Should I call myself a shaman? I'd call myself a priestess, but I don't feel that fits me as well as shaman does. If I call myself a shaman without belonging to that spiritual will I be irritating people who are?

I guess to put it in simplest terms, for me, being a shaman isn't a system of beliefs, and it isn't tied to what I believe in, instead its tied to what I do. Is this alright?

TBD

• Meṁber
  • Pine
Re: Shaman as a Role
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

Witches have been healers, spiritual guides, leaders and teachers, similarly to shamans.  There is nothing wrong with using shamanistic practices alongside Witchcraft in my opinion.

My only advice is to remember that Wicca is a religion, and Witchcraft is a magical practice used by others who are not Wiccan.  For identifying your religion, go with the one that matches your religious beliefs.  As for how you choose to label your magical practice, call it what it is, either Shamanism, or Shamanistic Witchcraft, or whatever.  I'm not sure people get as hung up on what you label your practice as they do labeling religion.

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »

The term "Shaman" is a very big ticket item.
It refers to so many different cultures and practises. Depending on whom you are talking to the term could bring to mind head hunters from Borneo, plains Indians from the American Mid West or a bushman from Africa.
When I think of a Shaman, I think of a person who connects with the spirits of nature, be it plant, mineral or animal, for any number of purposes, through trance, often brought on with chanting, meditation, herbs, drugs or a combination of those aides.
Now, I call myself an Animist. Animism is generally viewed as a Shamanistic path, but I don't call myself a Shaman. Frankly, I just don't need the label.
So before you start calling yourself one thing or another, consider how you would like others to view you and your beliefs. But only if you really give two hoots what other think in the first place.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »

Tsakara,

I am a Wiccan and I practice witchcraft.A witch does not have to be Wiccan, nor does a Wiccan
have to be a witch. But it is possible to be both.

You speak of Wicca as the path you were meant to follow, and Shamanism as a role with status.
I myself would not claim what was not mine.

Goddess bless
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

How about a Neo-Syncretic Shamano-Wiccanist? That rolls off the tongue nicely, and no-body will have a clue it's all made up.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »

How about a Neo-Syncretic Shamano-Wiccanist?That rolls off the tongue nicely, and no-body will have a clue it's all made up.

Too clumsy...don't exactly roll off the tongue now does it...esp after a few bevvys
So
Neo-Syncretic Shamano-Wiccanist?

Neo Sharmanaic Wiccanry
fixt.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

Tsakara

• Fir
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:23:50 AM »

I guess its this way: religiously I am Wiccan, that's pretty straightforward.

As for the shaman thing, I see the word shaman as having two meanings. 'Shaman' being firstly the role of the medicine man/women, spirit healer, guide, etc, for a tribe, and secondly, the title of someone who practices the religion of 'shamanism.' I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive. There have historically been Christian Shamans.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »

The lectures series from the late Joe Campbell can clear this all up very succinctly.  Google the Joseph Campbell Foundation for more.  I know that a LOT of his lectures are available on Ntflix.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »

Just make sure you study enough about Shamanism to know what you are doing and talking about. Good Luck.

Blessed Be
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 02:32:13 PM »

I guess its this way: religiously I am Wiccan, that's pretty straightforward.

As for the shaman thing, I see the word shaman as having two meanings. 'Shaman' being firstly the role of the medicine man/women, spirit healer, guide, etc, for a tribe, and secondly, the title of someone who practices the religion of 'shamanism.' I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive. There have historically been Christian Shamans.

In the definition for indigenous people, yes medicine man/woman, spirit healer, guide etc is correct.  However, in druidry and the Celtic paths it is not.  As well "shamanism" is not in itself a religion.  It is more of a line of thinking. 

Also, just for the record, there have not been any noteworthy or well known christian shamans, historically or otherwise.  Is it possible?  I presume so, however, once you actually get into shamanism and learn about it, you will discover a lot of what are core beliefs, ideas and traditions in shamanism are in direct contrast to the christian way of thinking.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:32:55 PM by Doom Monkey »
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

claudette

• Willow
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »

While I've never studied Shamanism in depth, I've never thought of is as a religion.  A practice or way of thinking maybe, but not a religion.  :-\

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »

We have some good general information on the main site as well:
http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wyldkat/shmnindex.htm
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
~Thomas Paine
Pages: [1]   Go Up