Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 27, 2014, 01:48:22 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: African Pantheon  (Read 418 times)

TheGreenWizard

• Pine
  • Which way on the Golden Brick Road shall I go?
African Pantheon
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »

Was going through my news articles today, and found this one:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/these-african-deities-are-the-best-gods-youve-never-heard-of

I know its a buzzfeed article, but I found it interesting because the author is absolutely correct: when I was growing up, I was obviously taught about the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse (to a degree) and some Native American pantheons, and yet, I never heard of any African deities (sans Egyptian) nor other religions. Yes, we learned of Hinduism having an exhaustive list of deities, and the Eastern Asian countries, such as Japan, China, and so forth, being an interesting mix of different beliefs (LATER in history), but we never heard of other belief systems... hmm...

Thought it would give some of us pause to consider what other pantheons are out there - both still existing, and lost.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Phoenix

• Oak
  • From the Fire I have Risen.
    • Home of the Phoenix
Re: African Pantheon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »

That was so cool, thank you for sharing that :D
I went to the Woods to front the essential facts of life. - Thourou

WARNING: Every five hundred years or so I spontaneously combust. The time is nigh get close at your own peril!!

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »

Thanks TGW, those were really cool and beautiful images. I know nothing of African Pantheons, but it was nice to get a glimpse.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:46:26 AM »

Lovely pictures TGW.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »

Great pics.  But...most of those deiforms were brought to the New World by way of the Caribbean.  Way back in the 50's Desi Arnaz used it invoke Babaluaye on national television!
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »

Remember that C_A. TGW you will find that they are worship a lot in Brazil along with those that came from the island of Japan back around 1900 hundred .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Ashe Isadora

• Oak
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »

Japan? You mean they combine Candomble with god/desses that are worshiped in Japan?  Too much caffeine and too little sleep here.......
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

callisto

• Elm
  • Wisdom begins in wonder.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »

Great pics.  But...most of those deiforms were brought to the New World by way of the Caribbean.  Way back in the 50's Desi Arnaz used it invoke Babaluaye on national television!

Mind. Blown. Is that what he was referring to?!  How...utterly awesome.

Thanks for sharing that link!  While the images are rather Western-stylized (I particularly love how practically all of these African deities have blue eyes!), I had never heard of this pantheon.  Off to read everything I can find.  :)
My, what a lovely girl. How could her king have left her?

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »

While the images are rather Western-stylized (I particularly love how practically all of these African deities have blue eyes!), I had never heard of this pantheon.  Off to read everything I can find.  :)

I think you'll find the eyes less of a "Western stylization"  after some reading.  A simple google of "Babaluaye" will send you careening down a bobsled run.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up