Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 01, 2014, 11:39:15 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does becoming a witch or wizard lie in your blood  (Read 126 times)

Jamni90

• Fir
Does becoming a witch or wizard lie in your blood
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »

That its something you feel in your heart. With cauldron and potions and alchemy :D
And what books would you recommend to really get into this stuff, if you have read any good one about these, transformation or spells etc.

I just think it seem cool to think about.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Does becoming a witch or wizard lie in your blood
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »

Wizard???  ::)  You'll be calling us conjurors, or warlocks next  :-p

Let's change the title for a moment; Does becoming a driver lie in your blood.

Do you see where I'm going with that? What I'm saying is being a driver has to be learned and trained, and you'll spend the rest of your life learning more. The skill to be able to learn is perhaps in you but not everyone has that. The desire may be in your heart but you may not accomplish that. Your DRIVE to do that is possibly more important.

Some few believe that one may be born a Witch, but that doesn't mean you are born with "magical powers". It's all about strength of will, drive and determination. And lots and lots and lots of concentration and understanding. It has to be learned, trained, practised, understood and belief in yourself.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »

Wizard???  ::)  You'll be calling us conjurors, or warlocks next  :-p

Let's change the title for a moment; Does becoming a driver lie in your blood.

Do you see where I'm going with that? What I'm saying is being a driver has to be learned and trained, and you'll spend the rest of your life learning more. The skill to be able to learn is perhaps in you but not everyone has that. The desire may be in your heart but you may not accomplish that. Your DRIVE to do that is possibly more important.

Some few believe that one may be born a Witch, but that doesn't mean you are born with "magical powers". It's all about strength of will, drive and determination. And lots and lots and lots of concentration and understanding. It has to be learned, trained, practised, understood and belief in yourself.

Drac, this is a perfect analogy. It should probably be mentioned as well that if you attempt to drove without knowing what you are doing, or carelessly, there could potentially be consequences
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »

No need to EG....... you just did it  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:01:33 AM »

I'll second and third the information already given.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »

There is a recommended book section that I believe is stickied as well. Check out the collection of them on the forum. There are quite a lot.

empty6

• Cypress
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »

from what I believe and have read so far (which isn't nearly half - or less but my english isnt good enough to know how you say that best- enough by far)

I would say no, you can't inherit being a witch (thats what I think when you say "it's in your blood")
I think though that you can be born (or develop as a child) with certain character traits that naturally 'move' you to witchcraft, that make you interested in it etc., or maybe even some traits that make it easier to do some things that witches do (for instance divination), though I think witchcraft is so broad, with all kinds of things (for instance intuitively, practically, intellectually and emotionally) that I think that everyone has things in witchcraft that go easier for her/him than for most others, and things (s)he has more trouble with than most others

and then I also think that it isnt about comparing yourself with others, witchcraft is (for me) about developping yourself (regardless of which religion you might have), to get only the best out of yourself, nothing more and nothing less

Amberhawk

• Elm
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 05:03:26 AM »

I personally don't believe in the whole Blood Witch idea myself. However that said, there have been DNA studies along the lines of choices in life, including religious leanings and lifestyle choices. I haven't read any lately but from what I can remember there are certain markers. So I'd say that it is very possible to feel like you are on the right track once you have "picked up the wand"  so to speak. I know I personally feel like I'm home since I began this path 20 years ago. It gave me a sense of belonging and understanding (not necessarily from others, but more like comfortable with myself and my own ideals) that I never felt in other paths or religions or lifestyles that I did and still do explore.

So are witchcraft or paganism specifically in my blood? Not exactly, no. But I'd say the inclination could well be in my DNA. I hope that doesn't sound like hair splitting... to me it seems like a subtle but important difference...

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:33:50 AM »

As I've already mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I first decided I wanted to be a Witch/Wizard/Mage/Alchemist/whatever it is that I actually am, at about the age of 8 or 9 on reading a cartoon strip in a children's comic - Beano or Dandy or something similar - about a girl brewing up noxious witches' potions on the kitchen stove to turn her father into a prince, so she'd be a princess......

Now, how many other kids read that same cartoon strip? Tens of thousands, probably even hundreds of thousands; but how many of them subsequently became witches? Not very many, I would think. So it seems to me that this comic strip resonated with something already present in my own mind, or my DNA, or something.

Now, none of my immediate family ever expressed the slightest interest in anything esoteric, beyond the occasional late night séance, all our fingertips resting on an upsidedown glass as it moved around on a table - but I don't think anyone took it seriously. So I guess I'm some kind of mutant; although I do have some Romany and Welsh ancestry, and I might be distantly related to the 17th-century Welsh alchemist, magician and philosopher, Thomas Vaughan, and even perhaps to Elias Ashmole himself, famed Rosicrucian, Freemason, and member of the Royal Society.

But still......

Alchymist 
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Ashe Isadora

• Oak
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:09:58 AM »

I agree that an aptitude for witchcraft probably isn't genetic.  But traits that are valuable to an aspiring witch such as good visualization, good concentration, maybe the ability to read others, may be. However, I am one who believes that past life memories may bring us back to the Craft in this life.  In my case I don't think I was a witch before this incarnation but I have memories of being in some type of esoteric religious order.  Rosicrucian?  Society of the Inner Light?  Priestess of Vesta?  I don't know, but my tradition in witchcraft is very much a religious order.  So personally I believe there may be factors other than mundane ones when we're drawn to the Craft, but I doubt it's an inherited trait.
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long
Pages: [1]   Go Up