Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 26, 2014, 01:45:18 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does becoming a witch or wizard lie in your blood  (Read 421 times)

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
Re: Does becoming a witch or wizard lie in your blood
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »

Thank you Edan for your post! Because I only recently got into the craft (think its been a year already and still have MUCH to learn), deep down I thought I wasn't good enough/have the aptitude for it due to being dumbed down by my Christian upbringing. After a witch friend of mine in Australia told me I have a heck of a lot of potential as a witch, it finally made me think that I can have the aptitude and improve, course with a lot of study, practice and learning ;D

Amberhawk

• Elm
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 03:25:04 AM »

OOh a year isn't that long at all and there is so much to learn even when you have been at it for many years. You get proficient with certain things and then always run across more to learn and do.

That said, I still lean towards the idea that there is no witch specific in the blood. More a genetic pre-disposition to being open to it or even being skilled at certain aspects of it, such as having a specific affinity for plant life or animal life of an unusually high level, or perhaps with an already overly developed sense for reading auras or an empathic ability that might lead to deeper studies later. I honestly also feel if a family line is open to it then it is also accepted and encouraged for further development rather than stifled or snuffed at an early age as it can be with other families.

But I honestly still cringe every time I hear someone say they are a blood witch.  ::shudder:::
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 20+ years.

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »

Always learning, every day and one can never learn all there is in one life time anyway xD

When you said Blood witch Amber, made me think of a witch using blood in workings all the time x.x I'd be shuddering too lol squeamish. Know what you meant though.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »

Ah the W factor has not been discovered yet, not that I know of anyway. So I believe we are safe right now.

We are really just being ourselves I think. I would love to feel that witches are from a galaxy far, far away. That we were
brought here to make a magical world for all and we have just forgotten anything beyond that. So make your world what you
want it to be and be happy with who you can become.

Use only your blood in your spells to keep yourself honest. Bring blessings to your family and friends and be proud to be a
witch.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Angel87

• Fir
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »

I say yes is in our blood, but we are all brothers aren't we? So yes we all have it in our bloods.

Is just about having the desire to learn, to take action, and believe.

vive y deja vivir
vivir sin imaginacion es morir de realidad

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 03:42:17 AM »

Wouldn't it just be SO MUCH easier if it was a "bloodline" thing?  I mean, really.  Just like on T.V. and in the movies?  Gawds, what a relief from the burden of either dealing with the Neophs or being one!  I love who and what I am, but if it was a "bloodline", (genetic?) thing, there would only be the chosen ones, (Charmed ones?), and little kids playing at Harry Potter with expensive plastic wands made in China...

And I would probably be "okay" with it either way. 
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 05:10:13 AM »

If it was a bloodline thing, something that's bred into you perhaps, it would be taken for granted, not appreciated. The fact you have to work at it gives you that greater connection with it. I'm glad it's the way it is, there's more to achieve and more to accomplish with ever more on the horizon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Questa

• Willow
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »

I wish my Great Aunt Betty was still alive.  She was born in the late 1800's and she read Tarot cards, but she would never read for us children.  When she would visit my aunt's house, she would forage up in the hills and come back with what we all thought were weeds.  There is much I would like to ask her now.  Maybe I have a pinch in my blood. 

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »

I'm sure heredity is part of the picture, but I feel it's a complex interplay between genetics and environment - there was a huge argument some years ago among scientists and early-education teachers and theorists about whether it was "nature" or "nurture" that mostly affected childhood development; they seem to have come to the common-sense conclusion, "both."

This is how I see it. Most newborn children come fully equipped with what I call the Questing Gene (which probably isn't exactly a "gene" as such, but it's a useful shorthand). Young children are interested in everything. Kids learn language and motor skills at a phenomenal rate in their first two or three years, constantly picking things up, sticking their fingers in things, taking things apart, asking all kinds of questions and driving their parents bonkers. If they're lucky their parents, siblings, relatives and friends encourage this insatiable curiosity with books, storytelling, music, art, whatever.... if they're unlucky it's a matter of "Don't bother me, I'm busy", or "We don't do that" or "Don't ask stupid questions" - or, perhaps worst of all, "Don't be stupid, you can't do that."

It takes a very, very strong-minded kid to survive that kind of squelching, and most seem to be thoroughly conditioned into accepting whatever they're told by about the age of five. Behaviour, religious and political views, opinions regarding scientific and artistic and philosophical questions, become solidified into dogma, which it is very difficult, even impossible, to break free from.

Those of us who were lucky, or strong-minded, as young children, survive into adulthood with the Questing Gene intact, always wanting to know more, experience more, see what lies over the distant hills or across the far ocean; some, a resilient few, manage to break free of their early conditioning in adulthood; all of these are the ones who become creative artists, real scientists, explorers, designers, musicians, craftspeople - and, of course, occultists and Witches.

So, altogether, very much a matter of luck, it would seem. The moral of this story seems to be - choose the right family to be born into.

Blessed Be all you Questers out there. keep learning; ask questions, even stupid-sounding ones; shine a light into dark corners and see what scuttles out; turn over rocks and see what wriggles. Explore; read, read, read, whether scientific journals or "Wicca for Dummies"(!) or ancient eldritch lore from mouldering old tomes. And create! Whatever it is! Poetry, paintings, knitting, blacksmithing, spells, rituals......

Alchymist. 
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 02:57:09 PM »

I'm sure heredity is part of the picture, but I feel it's a complex interplay between genetics and environment - there was a huge argument some years ago among scientists and early-education teachers and theorists about whether it was "nature" or "nurture" that mostly affected childhood development; they seem to have come to the common-sense conclusion, "both."

I shall add "et cetera" to this SOLELY for abbreviative reasons, not meant to disparage or demean the rest of this magnificent post.

Was I born into a family with "gifts"?  Yes, I was.  Was I chosen, of the children of my generation, to be shown the ways of those gifts?  Yes, I was.  But it was up to me to take of that knowledge.

There are times when this can only be explained within the confines of a "cultural" or "ethnic" manner.  Sometimes scientifically, sometimes anthropologically, sometimes religiously and other times just by "say so".

The resounding, and yet unquantifiable issue here is that it is, indeed, a QUEST, not a "gimme".
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up