Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 22, 2014, 02:16:46 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you feel a responsibility to be "out of the broom closet"?  (Read 299 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Do you feel a responsibility to be "out of the broom closet"?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »

I'm not sure that any of us has a responsibility to be out of the broom closet, after all many have their reasons for being in there in the first place. And perhaps it is for the greater good that they do not readily reveal themselves. It could be environment, it could be peer pressure (family OR friends), it could even be work related. There are quite a few reasons.

I would say the responsibility comes once one has left the broom closet and closes that door behind them. We must represent our craft with responsibility and integrity. This is not to say we scream from the rooftops, or throw up adverts etc. Instead, we carry on with our lives as normal and if we are open, we don't make a big thing about it. If we treat it as an everyday thing, it becomes the norm through time. No need for pointed hats and such.

C_A described responsibility very well when he mentions about dressing normally, instead of the fluffy emo/goth with tats of Aztec calendars on their foreheads, and upside down pentagrams on their cheeks etc. proclaiming the imminent arrival of the spaghetti monster. Calm and self assured with confidence. Acceptance takes time, especially since it has been the "evil step mother" for so long.

I wear a pentacle round my neck, I wear it with pride on the outside of my shirt. I never have a problem (where I live we are more accepting of such things). I have held discussions with Jehovah Witnesses, with Mormons, and with a few others plying their path, but I've never had a problem with them. More often than not we have a good chuckle and a chat.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Amberhawk

• Fir
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 07:12:41 AM »

As usual, a day late and a dollar short...

I'm not sure I'd say we all have that responsibility to be out. I think that is a personal choice according to where we live, what life is like, just what we can do without more dangerous repercussions to ourselves and our closer families. I do, however, feel it is important that those who do choose to be out do it reasonably and responsibly. I say this because when those who are in conservative areas get exposed, accidentally or purposely by some nutter, that there is limited to non existent repercussions for this outed person.

I personally live in a small farming community next town over from a baptist college town. People get their panties in a twist about smoking, drinking or cheating around here... a witch being in the community might possibly cause a few heart attacks. As much as that might help thin out the zealot sect (kidding, mostly...), it could also be dangerous if they decide to band together.
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 20+ years.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »

Not only understood, but understood on a global level.

Not only are we remanded to be secretive but it is a good idea for MOST of us.

The reason I CHOOSE to be open is, face it, because the vast majority of people that are "out" aren't doing the rest of us ANY favor.  Sha, sha...there ARE many that are good, solid members of the community that have shown good, solid representation of the Craft to the populace at large, but the VAST majority are those for whom it is a shock treatment or a fashion statement.  People with nigh NO training, (nor even outer-circle knowledge), other than the pink unicorn and silvery winged dragon that breathes glitter and rainbows instead of fire...(you know, Draconis' cousins, LOL!)
And as for me, and as for me...I made my mind up, back in Chelsea - When I go, I'm going like Elsie!

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »

Arf ;D Arf ;D Arf ;D You can't choose your family C_A  ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »

There was an article I came across yesterday about a 69 year old woman (or 60, I forgot) and her daughter were murdered. Dragged out of their homes somewhere in Africa and accused of casting spellings,"making the men impotent". Ended up getting their throats cut and hacked to death. The world is still a scary place for witches, even regular people who are thrown the word "witch" at them in this day and age. It's very sad :( I'm not stepping foot in Africa..

Personally, I've peeked out of the broom closet and ended up with Satan and sinner slung at me until I closed the door while they (family and relatives) beat on the door, only for me to sneak out every now and then when the harassment has died down hehe. When I move out, my home will be openly Pagan or at least Earthy looking with a few Pagan things like books and crystals on display and only hide some things when family comes over. Anyone else who comes over, they can see for themselves who I am and what I am. Still wearing my subtle pentacle at work outside of my shirt and I'm proud. Even when no one has realized what it is, I'm at least able to wear it openly without an issue :)

Aunt Thora

• Cypress
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »

No, I don't feel responsible to come out of a broom closet.  I am who I am.  Some have called me strange, weird, witch, *B*, crazy, hippie etc.  In my home you will find all kinds of books on almost any subject, different religions, gardening, herbal and on and on.   My home décor changes with the seasons. Always bringing something from outside in to decorate. At any given time you will hear a variety of music. I have no favourite.  Most that know me just roll their eyes, pat me on the head and smile.  BUT ... if I give a warning or become serious they listen.  So mostly I am who I am and enjoy being that.   

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »

Back in 1980 my wife got me a real cool t-shirt in a little head shop in the Pike Place Market with the picture of a Witch on it with the caption I'm Just A Witch I also Carry A .45 , worn that thing out .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »

I collect silver jewelry with a crescent moon theme and nearly always wear at least one.  I do it for the same reason my husbamd tells me that Jews often wear a Star of David.  It's for me, to remind me that I am not like most others.  I occasionally wear a small pentacle when we go to a college town or big city.  I've gotten some stares and I've seen people nudge and point, but nothing really hostile.

I thought you'd all enjoy this story.  My husband's green man, which he usually wears tucked in. fell out of his shirt one day at work.  Someone asked about it.  He put on a conspiratorial expression and said "Shhh.  It's Moses of the Forest, a little known biblical story"  The people around him winked and nodded, and backed off.  They never mentioned it again.

Goatfoot is quick on his feet!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:49:45 PM by Ashe Isadora »
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 07:48:24 PM »

Moses of the Forest LOL Ashe tell Goatfoot I adore his humor.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »

OG, o.o awesome shirt..

And I like your husband's wit and humor XD Moses of the Forest. Love it.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 08:53:26 PM »

I'm searching for a new online but so far can find one .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up