Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 21, 2014, 12:55:39 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it ethical to charge for teaching the Craft?  (Read 324 times)

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
Re: Is it ethical to charge for teaching the Craft?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 05:42:30 PM »

True  Celtic Epona, but I don't see how that disproves my point.  Magical knowledge can be misused the same as mundane knowledge, and knowledge is power.  Agreed.  Do you consider magic and the mundane to be the same, with exactly the same ethical constraints?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:04:54 PM by Ashe Isadora »
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 07:23:49 AM »

I would also say no.  Donations to cover expenses is acceptable.  IMHO when a dollar value is attached to teaching it is no longer a labor of love but one of work.  I rarely teach for that reason.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Celtic Epona

• Rowan
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 09:39:31 AM »

There is no difference between the two types of knowledge in my opinion.  All of it is simply a section of how this world works.  Why is one more important than another?  In my opinion it isn't.  All knowledge is a gift and should be held in respect.  Therefore no matter what we are teaching we should do so with respect and understanding of the ramifications of said teaching.  Should we accept money for teaching?  That depends on the beliefs of the individual being asked to teach.  Many in the craft are very conciousious of the responsibility of teaching the craft, but are they as careful with the rest of their knowledge?
And the greatest of these is LOVE.

Pay attention; you might learn something.  Paul Cooner 1930-1997

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »

Do you know of any mundane teachers who teach people how to bend reality? (particle physics et al, I know, I know... but still)  Yes, mundane and arcane knowledge are both extremely important, and sometimes they intersect, but magical teaching carries extremely heavy spiritual responsibility that some believe is recorded and dealt with in the spiritual world. Some venerable old Craft traditions even believe there are guardians of the magical realm that record every single magical act a witch performs and assists in balancing the cosmic scales.  This is not to be taken lightly.

CE, forgive me but I don't see how your last sentence is relevant to the question. How does a person's sense of responsibility about teaching mundane things enter into the ethical question of charging for magical teaching except to show that some mundane teachers may teach irresponsibly?  That's an entirely separate subject.

Lazarus Long

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »

There's another aspect of a magical teacher's responsibility that seems relevant to the discussion.  Besides taking some responsibility for a student's magical acts there is the very real question of the psychological safety of a student.  Some techniques as well as the side effects of some magics are very intense and not everyone can handle it, especially students who may be mentally fragile for any reason.  It's the teacher's responsibility to monitor their students' safety and adjust the amount and kind of teaching they'll do for that person.  That kind of judgement cannot be influenced by student fees.  Could they just return the money?  Sure. But that would make it all the more complicated and painful for all concerned.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:00:05 PM by Ashe Isadora »

Lazarus Long
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up