Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 19, 2014, 08:48:07 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was Scott Cunningham the best or worst thing that ever happened to the Craft?  (Read 226 times)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
Re: Was Scott Cunningham the best or worst thing that ever happened to the Craft?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 03:15:55 AM »

A BTW Tribunal (shudder).  In spite of our fairly strict adherence to some things, I think BTW's would be among the first to reject such an event.  That doesn't keep us from snarking about some folks though, and thoroughly discussing perceived transgressions.

Scott was a man of integrity.  I think he would have accepted negative reactions with grace and done what in his opinion served the Craft best. Though I'm sure the divisiveness that came out of his books would have horrified him.

Yes.  This.  I have heard about "tribunals" and "appearances" and even "indictments".  These were in the latter day trads, though.  I never heard of one in the orthodox three.  Makes me wonder, indeed, what the gentle Mssr. C would have said.  (or actually IS saying, he may still be having some effect on the Craft at large).  Integrity & grace?  Yes.  Horrified, yes, indeed.  Working toward the betterment of the Craft, yes, indeed, indeed.  One of the two gentlest men I met,  Isaac was the other.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
Re: Was Scott Cunningham the best or worst thing that ever happened to the Craft?
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 03:21:36 AM »

I appreciate SC for completely different reasons.  His work on magical herbalism got me started down that road and ended up being the reason I study medicinal herbalism.

I just wish there had been a way to present his information without it ending up the way it did. It's too bad there isn't some grand BTW tribunal that could have handled some of the fallout on a larger scale.

The motivativation for, probably thousands of people, (including MANY that are still in the Craft, years later, growing and grown).

There are, though, such things...
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Questa

• Willow
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »

This was a very interesting thread to read.  Scott Cunningham's book "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" is the one I've been wanting to buy the most. 

In my months long quest for knowledge on the subject, I feel I need to stick to information for beginners.  I also like "Wicca for Beginners" by Thea Sabin and also "A Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook" by Stewart & Janet Farrar but I feel the latter may be too advanced for me.

Your thoughts or advice, please.   

Canis

• Cypress
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

I haven't read either of those. I started with Raymond Buckland's "Wicca for One" and found it very informative and easy to follow. I also followed up with Buckland's "Complete Book of Witchcraft", although that is geared more towards covens. I also reead Cunningham, mostly to have a different perspective.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up