Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 01, 2014, 12:34:03 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you react to stereotypes of witches?  (Read 196 times)

FW

• Willow
  • There is no religion higher than Truth
Re: How do you react to stereotypes of witches?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »

I can assure all of you that the stereotype of the witch predates the moment any of you decided to refer to yourselves at witches.  If you make a choice to call yourself a witch (I rarely did, even when I was a Wiccan), then you make the choice to live with that stigma and deal with the stereotypes.  I doubt they'll be changing anytime soon.  If you have an issue with that, pick a different name.
The Four Agreements - Don Miguel Ruiz

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 07:49:28 AM »

A sense of humor helps too.  Actually sometimes the stereotype makes great camouflage since we "normal" people couldn't possibly be one of them, right?

But I do agree that when you take on witch as a descriptor you should be prepared to handle the baggage that comes with it.  No, the baggage isn't fair but nearly all took it on with open eyes, so no whining please.
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »

Good point made both of you, we made our own beds, now we lie in them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »

IMHO it does offend me to a certain extent due to the falsity of stereotype I am unable to even have a chance to explain my beliefs not only to my significant other but also to my family. Also in the town I am in the majority of all people here are Christian or claim to be and they are the condemning all who don't believe like we do are going to hell even among the other denominations so for me it is like living in utter and total secrecy which makes me wonder if anyone who knows me really knows who I am but that's a different subject its hard living your life hiding who you are to the point you cant even let those closest to you know who you are.

I understand how you feel. Also living in total secrecy when it comes to friends, coworkers, etc besides my online friends. They're the only ones who actually still accept me for who I am, even though I am a witch. Some are even fascinated by it at times while like 2 Christian friends still accept me, but wish I wasn't Pagan and am welcome to ask them about "God" lol. At least here on this forum, you can be who you truly are Augadelume and no one will condemn you for your beliefs.

DragonsTalon

• Willow
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 03:09:10 PM »

Meh...i have to deal with enough horrible stereotypes, what's one more?
"you can't always trust what you read on the internet" -- abraham lincoln
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up