Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 25, 2014, 06:50:17 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LINEAGED WICCANS  (Read 6273 times)

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
Re: LINEAGED WICCANS
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »

That would be great if he could check this guy out. I'm afraid I'm too eager to be part of a lineaged coven. I don't want my eagerness to cause me to make a bad decision. It's just that since I decided that this was the path I was meant to follow, all I can think about is becoming a member of a lineaged traditional coven. Surely there must be precious secrets and knowledge kept hidden for years. The thought that I could learn and experience these things overwhelms me. For me, settling for scraps of information and trying to fill in the blanks on my own just isn't enough. As a seeker of knowledge, I want to one day find myself at the heart, the very source of that knowledge. The more I correspond with this guy I've been talking about, the less sure I am about him. Perhaps it would be nice if someone could go in undercover and check this guy out.  :-p

Pm me his name and any coven names and I will see what I can find out.  The one who iniated him would be very helpful.  I won't make any promises but will do some checking for you.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

blacksaber

• Fir
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »

Most covens I am aware of requires training before initiation.  I would be very careful.

Quoted for truth

I agree, to be initiated is a big step, and not to be taken lightly. It is a major spiritual undertaking, with a lot of study and research that should be done.  My parent coven used to hold 'semi-open' rituals where some of our Sabats would be open to invited guests only. There would also be summer camps and other completely open 'with some restrictions' rituals where more or less anyone could come along, like one run in west Wales called Earth Healing Day. You really should spend time together both socially and in ritual with all of the coven members before deciding if you would like to petition the coven HPS for membership. It is pretty much always the HPS running the show, not a male Priest.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »

I want to post a reply but not coz trouble so please be open to opinion. Last Samhain I visited a teaching coven in the UK and I had a great time. However I decided to remain solitary, just my
personal need. Now if I lived in the UK I may have felt differently, or I may have continued as I am now.I do not feel the need for a coven as some do . I have studied and practiced alone for 15 yrs now and I'm quite happy with myself. If I need help I come here which I consider to be the
group of people I trust. My path does not involve a coven or I feel need a coven. I don't need
secrets to feel fulfilled. My path is solitary and that is my choice. Some want the experience of a
coven and I hope it fulfills them and I bless them on their way. This is just the way I feel and not meant to cause controversy.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »

You should have let me know you were over here, we could've hung out and got wasted . . . .
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »

Yes I know I'm sorry I didn't. If I ever come back I will look you up and Drac also. I wasn't there for long and it was an invitation from a long time friend. I would have wanted to keep you to myself and not share you anyway. ;D
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »

One can be dedicated to study under the aegis of a coven.  The initiative process comes later.  99.9% of the time it will follow the "year and a day" rule.

ANY person that will initiate you into a coven all by themselves has either an agenda or a coven that isn't worth joining.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Micheál

• Rowan
  • Yeeeooo!
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »

I'm another as well being an Alexandrian from the Farrar down-line. Just read the thread and hope things with Edorian worked out. Vet&vouching around is always a good idea if searching for the right group. It's right in a way that inner-court training doesn't happen until after initiation, but you're trained in the outer-court first with many covens that have Neophyte or Dedication ceremonies for seekers looking in.
Semper Fi

SquareC

• Rowan
  • The Great and Broken Purple Ninja! Blessed Be!
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »

Most covens I am aware of requires training before initiation.  I would be very careful.

Quoted for truth

I agree, to be initiated is a big step, and not to be taken lightly. It is a major spiritual undertaking, with a lot of study and research that should be done.  My parent coven used to hold 'semi-open' rituals where some of our Sabats would be open to invited guests only. There would also be summer camps and other completely open 'with some restrictions' rituals where more or less anyone could come along, like one run in west Wales called Earth Healing Day. You really should spend time together both socially and in ritual with all of the coven members before deciding if you would like to petition the coven HPS for membership. It is pretty much always the HPS running the show, not a male Priest.

When I began my life as a Wiccan, I spent 2 years studying in "semi-open" rituals without participation and one on one instruction from members of the coven including the High Priestess and High Priest. I was only 16 and my Alexandrian coven would not even start to consider me to begin my year and a day initiation until I both studied thoroughly and knew what Wicca truly was and before I turned 18. Both are very important. After I had studied and knew that I was truly on the right path, and had turned 18, my actual initiation process began. This is how it should be no matter what age you are though. My High Priestess was a kind and motherly woman and her husband was our High Priest and while he was otherwise a rather "in charge" man, she was the driving force in our coven.

And if it is only a High Priest without a High Priestess or a quiet and submissive High Priestess, that should raise not just a red flag, but red lights and sirens! There are unscrupulous and even predatory men who use the name of Wicca without any hesitation, but are only interested in finding people to take advantage of, usually young women, and generally have an interest in using so-called "sex magic" in order to take advantage of the naive or inexperienced people searching for a coven and knowledge. It is a horrible thing, but I have heard of it happening quite a few times, once specifically here in Houston about 10 years ago. He wound up being arrested on multiple counts of statutory rape,, after "initiating" members as young as 14!

There is no such thing as too much research into a coven before joining. Checking out the lineage of the coven is a very good thing, and study into both Wicca itself and the ideals of the lineage you are thinking of joining is a really, really good thing.

I know the particular situation in question is well past, but I think this warning should be considered by anyone in the same situation in the future. Being aware of what you are getting yourself into in a particular coven as well as being sure you are following the right path for you. There is no such thing as too much knowledge. I also hope that things worked out well for Edorian.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:22:39 PM by SquareC »
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when open!

Life is not about waiting until the storm is over, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2013, 02:22:19 AM »

Thanks for sharing that with us C2, hopefully it will serve as a warning to those considering Coven life to be aware and research well before diving in. Its really bad that there are those who are happy to mar the reputation of a whole following just for the sake of their own gratification.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2013, 04:58:28 AM »

For those who are considering British Traditional Wicca (Alexandrian, Gardnerian, Moshian, Central Valley Wicca and a few others) there is a vet and vouch system in place. Just give the names of the HP/S and the coven purporting to be of BTW lineage to any BTW Elder, or go to the Amber and Jet website.  A vet will verify that the person and /or coven is indeed properly lineaged  and possesses the degree* they claim (if this is important to you), and a vouch lets you know that other BTW's  are comfortable referring students to them. This takes about 2 weeks and is well worth it.

Any reputable BTW teacher will be happy to be vetted.  Don't hesitate.
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »

Yea, verily...Good enough advice for any beginner.

We have seen way too many "lineaged-ish" covens and "schools" pop up, (and pop back down), over the years.  By "lineaged-ish" I mean that an HPs learned from an HPs that learned from an HPs that knew someone that was hived from a coven that was lineaged...you get the picture.  Lineaged by being IN it is different that being lineaged by knowing someone.

Yes, it's complicated.  No, not ALL people fitting this description are in it for personal gain.  Yes, some DO have the best intentions.

It's STILL not the same.

“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »

There are Traditions besides BTW that are initiatory and sometimes lineaged.  NROOGD, Isian Witchcraft, Old Dianic Witchcraft are just a few that come to mind.  Does anyone know how to vet or check out the authenticity of non BTW  initiatory groups? Would the Covenant of the Goddess be a help in that?  Not all members who are seeking coven training would necessarily gravitate to BTW.

Lazarus Long

CelticWanderer

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • Life is a journey, so journey well.
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 06:14:36 AM »

Hello all, Happy Samhein to each of you. I'm not part of a coven or any lineaged group. The reason being is because I tend to find some, not all, to be structured much like many churches with all of the rules and so forth. That is only my opinion. Blessed Be!

SquareC

• Rowan
  • The Great and Broken Purple Ninja! Blessed Be!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »

There are Traditions besides BTW that are initiatory and sometimes lineaged.  NROOGD, Isian Witchcraft, Old Dianic Witchcraft are just a few that come to mind.  Does anyone know how to vet or check out the authenticity of non BTW  initiatory groups? Would the Covenant of the Goddess be a help in that?  Not all members who are seeking coven training would necessarily gravitate to BTW.

Most truly lineaged traditions are happy to provided historical evidence of their lineage when asked politely. I only know this of actual personal experience from a Dianic coven that was in the neighborhood I used to live in. I explained my own lineage and that I was interested in learning of their traditions with the possibility of joining their coven if we proved mutually agreeable. In the specifics of Dianic traditions, the worship primarily the Goddess as Diana, to the virtual exclusion of the Horned God. They are almost always all female covens, so gentlemen, don't bother unless you want to be a second class citizen if they will accept you at all. We parted on good terms, their HPS was a kind and motherly woman but I respect men and worship the Lord equally with the Lady, so their worship wasn't for me. I cannot speak from personal experience on any other tradition than Gardenarian and Alexandrian.

I think a properly respectful approach usually see good results from most lineaged traditions. They should be proud to present proof of their lineage, as my own coven was.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when open!

Life is not about waiting until the storm is over, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »

Thanks Square C.  I always wondered.

Lazarus Long
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up