Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 17, 2014, 10:40:07 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is sex rituals something some pagan practice  (Read 258 times)

Alchymist

• Cypress
Re: Is sex rituals something some pagan practice
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 06:04:28 PM »

If you're relatively new to Wicca/Witchcraft, Peridot, I'd advise that you don't get into Crowley for a while yet. Good Ol' Uncle Al had a wicked, deadpan sense of humour and much of what he wrote needs careful interpretation; he was fond of winding up the Puritans - and the press! There's much wisdom in his writings but it needs to be approached with caution. He himself wasn't Wiccan, but much of Wicca as it comes down to us via Gerald Gardner was heavily influenced by Crowley's work.

Buckland and Cunningham are good authors to begin with; depending on where you want to go after that, there's the Farrars' "Witches' Bible" (traditionalist), Huson's "Mastering Witchcraft" (for the practical craft without the religion), several books by Starhawk (feminist and environmentalist), etc., etc. There's also Gardner himself, with "Witchcraft Today" (which, despite its title, is mostly historical) and "The Meaning of Witchcraft." That lot should keep you going for a while.

Oscar Wilde was a Wild guy, to be sure; but, again, lots of earthy wisdom in his writings.

Blessed Be,

Alchymist.   
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Peridot

• Rowan
  • Feather-brained and fabulous.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »

He sounds like an interesting fellow (I do like a man who riles up the puritans)! I'll add him to my reading list, though I'll save him for further down the line.  ;)

I've read Buckland and Cunningham, and while I appreciate what they wrote, their content didn't resonate with me (some of it did, but not much). As soon as I finish the books I'm currently reading I'll dig into some of Starhawk's books and "Witches' Bible"!

Thank you :)
"May my words, like baby vegetables, be tender and sweet; for I may have to eat them tomorrow."

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »

Jamni, you ask a lot of questions that you can easily find the answers to on your own.  I am going to suggest you use the search function on here and Google.  Most people understand things better when they have researched and read information rather than having someone spoon feed them.  Blessings, Arn
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:11:16 AM »

Oy.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  I should, I suppose, remind people to re-read the "Boiling Water" thread, from a different perspective.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up