Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 24, 2014, 05:13:33 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: What made you move from Christianity to Wicca?  (Read 8246 times)

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
Re: What made you move from Christianity to Wicca?
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »

Well, Serp, you are getting on in years and everyone knows, Brits don't age well.
According to a UN report, the average life expectancy for men in the UK is 77 years. With all your self reported experimentation of various substances.........well, there is doubt you'll make it that long. First you start gaining weight, a paunch that you just can't get rid of. Then the eyes and teeth start to go. Closely followed by hearing. The final stages become appearant when the mind starts to fade, can't remember the little things........ yep....see it all the time........too bad....too bad.
That might be how the cookie crumbles on your side of the pond, but no symptoms here like the ones you're describing yet. Full bladder control. full head of hair, all me own teeth, I've been +/- 6lbs either side of 12 stone for 25 years, and never had to spend a night in Hospital. I have all the mental acuity that I ever had, and if by chance, I should succumb to any of the deleterious conditions you imply you experienced during the onset of your own dotage, at least I live in a Country with full, free Healthcare. If all that fails, I'm fully comfortable with the idea of becoming a burden to my children. 

And I love the way you got that "Everyone knows, Brits don't age well" thing in.  Everybody knows no such thing. That's pure conjecture, and implication on your part. Good shot though.
I will, however concede the "Long winded" point, and try to take on board the fact that some folks find reading long posts and words difficult. That is in no way to suggest that yourself, or any of the other more elderly posters here are finding it hard to keep up, I would never imply such a thing. It's just that I've encountered similar situations in the past. Once or twice. Basically, where I just won't shut up.

So you see, it's not you, it really is me. I appreciate that it must be quite irritating when someone just goes on and on, about nothing much,
especially if you generally prefer to just humour that person . . . . but it's good job I'm aware of my many and frankly, glaring faults or my posts would like, go on forever. So, in interests of keeping this brief, my point? . . nope, . . . . I don't actually think I had one. . . . .

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »

Where in the G-ds green Earth does that leave me?

Granted, I'm no Brit...I am an American of Italian heritage.  (No, not "all" of "us" die of "acute lead poisoning" or "aqueous overload caused by improper footwear"...)

Maybe I should start perusing coffin catalogs?

Ive come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 02:50:51 PM »

As to the other issues at hand...

I do not believe that we have, (or even "should have"), outgrown religion.

I believe the way Dr. Campbell did...and I paraphrase, here..."As long as there is dirt under us and stars over us we will seek to know who put them there."

I do not subscribe to the "religion v. superstition" arguments of the early days of the 20th century.  All worship is religion.  That said...non-religious,(or irreligious or anreligious ), people are far outnumbered on this orb by those who have religion.  Even those with only a passing nod to whatever they were exposed to as children still identify themselves by that.

Not to say, by any stretch, that it is simply a mechanism for the "cubby-holing" proclivities we share...if it were only yhat, people would use "former" or "lapsed" or some other modifier on the forms.  No, they identify themselves as Catholic, or Wiccan, or Jewish, or Shinto.
Ive come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »

@ Serp....touchee!  ;D
Just giv'n ya the gears guz you're one of the few that can take it! ;)

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »

but it's good job I'm aware of my many and frankly, glaring faults or my posts would like, go on forever. So, in interests of keeping this brief, my point? . . nope, . . . . I don't actually think I had one. . . . .

It's on the top of your head...............where it's always been.

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

LouLouSmiles

• Rowan
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

I know I'm probably on the late train with this post, but maybe my posting will draw attention back to this thread. Or not... I'm kinda just trying to get more involved with posting. Anyways, my entire family is Christian... but my views are a little confused because in my family I have both sides of the spectrum: racist, sexist, ignorant, white Christians as well as open-minded, non-judgmental, forgiving Christians. I can never fully say that all Christians are bad or narrow minded because, so long as my grandmother is alive, that is simply not true. She's quite literally accepted people of every race, gender, and sexuality into her home, on drugs, homeless, whatever. And never for the sake of martyrdom. She simply knew it was the right thing to do. Because of her, I try to give every Christian a fair chance. Because of her, so long as they mean it, any Christian who accepts people as who they are can be in my life.

A huge contributing factor for me leaving behind Christianity was that you are always answering to another authority. You are never simply acting good to be good, you're acting good to get into Heaven. Your motivations are flawed to the very core in that they are for yourself and not others. And when you do wrong, you don't answer to yourself or even to God, you answer to your priest, to your peers, to your family. They shun you and shake their heads when it's not between you and them, and they are in no position to judge. Where you steal, they cheat. Where you lie, they're greedy. They have no ground to stand on, and I think too many Christians forget that. I think that this religion is organized for repression, not growth. For judgment, not acceptance.

And frankly, when it comes down to it, no form of spirituality should be so strictly organized. The only rules are basic: don't hurt, don't steal, don't rape. Beyond that, no human has the right answer because that's what they are: human. That's the problem with Christianity as a whole - it's too damn sure about everything.

Obviously I could go on about this for hours... so I'm gonna go ahead and stop myself here and see what the responses are like...

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »

Well said LouLou ., one thing about catholic or Christians religions is that their god is a loving god , just remember to FEAR him. Not that's a crock of crap if there ever was one.

So keep it going ,  ;)
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »

A lot of people confuse the God in the old testament (who was actually the devil a good % of the time) for the God of the new testament. When in fact, the old testament was meant to be disregarded when the prophecy of a messiah was fulfilled (the coming of Jesus) but the church leaders who structured and compiled ( -what they wanted in- ) the Bible for some reason left it in as a history. (the history got confused as a part of the message?)
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

LouLouSmiles

• Rowan
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

I also just want to say as a side note that, Christian or Non-Christian, everyone should read the bible. Just to educate themselves, to have a firm grasp and a credible reference when they're disputing or defending this religion, and frankly... it's history.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »

Only problem with that  LLS , you would have to read every bible from every religion that uses one . Current ones and ones from long ago . Everything has changed of the centuries , so how much remains the same as one say from two hundred years ago.

LouLouSmiles

• Rowan
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »

Oh definitely. I guess I just meant not to reject it just because you don't agree with it. Educate yourself on all belief systems, of course!

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »

If we all read each bible , torah , koran etc. then maybe we could get along better  . But knowing people it would only leed to greater problems.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 01:21:48 AM »

Just follow The Blessed Bee.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »

If we all read each bible , torah , koran etc. then maybe we could get along better  . But knowing people it would only leed to greater problems.
The problem with this idea is simple: People that already have a religion tend to take their holy book and/or writings as perfect uncorrupted truths whereas they see the holy books from other religions as nothing more than lies. Reading the books for another religion, to many, would feel like "Wow... I can't believe that these other religions believe these LIES?!" (when in reality, what they believe could also be nothing more than lies... ...)

In my opinion, it wouldn't hurt to require people to take a comparative religions class before claiming one religion as true and deciding that the others were all lies...

::edit::
Just follow The Blessed Bee.
"Perfect love and perfect BZZZZZZZZ" ;D

On that note, Blessed Be :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:37:39 AM by lucifer »
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »

I also just want to say as a side note that, Christian or Non-Christian, everyone should read the bible. Just to educate themselves, to have a firm grasp and a credible reference when they're disputing or defending this religion, and frankly... it's history.

I have read most of the New Testament.  Prettysure all the Old.  I would never suggest to anyone not reading at least the New Testament.  I would highly recommend the Nag Hammadi as well.  At least I branched out...  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:51:44 PM by Earthbound Spirit »
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up