Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 19, 2014, 08:49:42 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medicine wheels  (Read 896 times)

Skyrocks93

• Fir
Medicine wheels
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »

I was looking around on the internet and found out how to make a medicine wheel but I'm still fuzzy on what to do with it, how to figure out where you are in it, and what an opening ceremony for one would entail. Thanks for any answers.
?Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.? -Dr. Seuss

dark magus

• Apple
Re: Medicine wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »

If your looking for some prepared text, most likely you won't find it. A medicine wheel, as you know, is a native American construct. Some of them date back 4,500 years. Stuff isn't written down unless some white man made an attempt to do so (and possibly embellish) and then that would have only happened in recent years.

As it has been explained to me, the wheel is symbolic of mother earth womb.
It's open to the west to allow entrance and exit (like the birth canal) (west is the direction of where the spirits reside)
When we wish to connect with mother earth and to share knowledge, we return to the womb where we can grow spiritually. When we exit the wheel with new knowledge, we are reborn to the world of the people.

It's absolutely appropriate to open the wheel with a prayer. You might ask for guidance, wisdom and understanding.
When leaving, it's appropriate to give thanks.
Also appropriate to use sweet grass as a smudge, cleansing self and site, and filling yourself with the spirit with whom you wish to connect.

With that in mind and your intentions going in, speak your heart when opening and closing. I'm sure that is more than sufficiant.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:05:11 PM by dark magus »

ncbeach girl

• Elm
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »

I just got a book about Medicine Wheels.  The title is The Medicine Wheel Garden by E. Barrie Kavasch.  I found it used on Amazon.
I am going to build one in my yard.

Skyrocks93

• Fir
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »

I just got a book about Medicine Wheels.  The title is The Medicine Wheel Garden by E. Barrie Kavasch.  I found it used on Amazon.
I am going to build one in my yard.
That sounds kool but I'm broke.
?Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.? -Dr. Seuss

ncbeach girl

• Elm
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »

Keep an eye on Amazon.  I got it used dirt cheap and there were cheaper ones too.

MoonWaterSister

• Meṁber
  • Fir
  • The future is fluid, it is always changing.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:52 AM »

dark magus, you are spot on - with what you wrote. 
When all else fails, sit by water in the moonlight then dance naked under the stars!

Water is fluid, soft and yeilding, but water will wear away rock, it will over come what is rigid and hard, it cannot yield.  Another paradox of what is soft, is strong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up