Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 30, 2014, 03:54:20 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pagan moral code  (Read 4834 times)

behindstarryeyes

• Orange
  • Amaris
Pagan moral code
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »

I am interested, simply for curiosity's sake, in what any of you use to define your morality.  Obviously, if you identify with Wicca, I would assume you would employ the Wiccan Rede.  For those of you who don't, then what moral code do you hold yourself to (if any)? 
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

Mountain_Mamma

• Holly
  • One with the Moon
Re: Pagan moral code
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »

The Rede comes to mind first.  Then my Mom's wisdom, do onto others, and if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Basically I listen to my inner self, and if I feel icky about something then it's probably wrong.  And I've found out over the years that my first instinct is usually the best. 

Laugh, Live, Love
Blessed Be

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
    • Snake's Myspace Page (The Snake Pit)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:27:48 AM »

I am a Solitary Eclectic Nocturnal Witch.  Instead of the Rede, I follow my own personal Code of Ethics. They are:

1. Harm None…unless provoked.—I can usually get along with most anybody, and it takes a lot to get me angry. I will give ample warning if I am getting ticked off, however, if these go ignored, I will strike hard, fast, and with much vengeance. I am also not against casting evil spells or curses if I feel it’s justified. I believe in revenge, and I am very methodical in the way I carry it out. I treat people the way they treat me. If you’re nice to me, I’ll be the same to you. If you’re a complete jerk, expect the same from me in abundance.

2. Speak little, listen much.—I usually tend to be quite quiet, unless I have something to say. Most of the time I quietly sit and observe people, learning their personality traits. I can read people like a book.

3. Honesty and Loyalty are valued above all else.—I am loyal to those who are loyal to me. I also hate liars. Those that choose to befriend me, find that I am a very powerful ally. Choose to be my enemy, however, and I will make your life a living hell.

4. Always speak the truth…tell it like it is, no matter how painful it may be. Don’t lie.

5. Show respect only to those who truly deserve it.

6. Kill not for the sake of killing.—I won’t kill another living creature without a good reason to. For example: when I kill a deer, it’s to provide me with food for the year. The exception to this rule is vermin, such as mice and rats. I hate those little bastards.

7. You do me a solid, I do YOU a solid.—In other words…if you do me a favor, I’ll do you a favor. And vice versa.

8. If someone gives you something (like a gift), give them something in return.

9. Help those that truly need help, but look after your own well-being first.

10. Don’t charge money for services that don’t cost you anything (such as Tarot readings or performing weddings).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't agree with any of these, too bad.  They're MY code of ethics, not YOURS.  They work for me, and that's all that matters.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."--Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »

I simply do as I wish... only G-d can judge me, and in the end, I'm good with that...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »

I was raised with some basic concepts on how to conduct myself, learned other concepts growing up and interacting with society.
I pretty much do as I like as long as it feels like the right way to do it. I don't worship any gods and really don't believe they exist outside of our own personal perception.
I do believe that we each have a divine spark within us that connects us to all other things, and that combination is the divine / the source. As such, combined, we are the divine, collectively and individually.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »

I was raised with some basic concepts on how to conduct myself, learned other concepts growing up and interacting with society.
I pretty much do as I like as long as it feels like the right way to do it. I don't worship any gods and really don't believe they exist outside of our own personal perception.
I do believe that we each have a divine spark within us that connects us to all other things, and that combination is the divine / the source. As such, combined, we are the divine, collectively and individually.

Namaste
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

claudette

• Willow
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »

I try to treat others as I want to be treated.   I guess I learned it from my parents and my church.

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »

Do unto others, before they do unto you.

Do as thou wilt is the whole of the Law, but remember, no-one likes an asshole.
Like you, but with poor impulse control

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:51:05 PM »

4. Always speak the truth…tell it like it is, no matter how painful it may be. Don’t lie.

Does that include lying through omission?

:D

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:20 PM »

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."--Adam Savage (Mythbusters)"

I created every piece of my reality. It spreads right across this World, and beyond. It even has room for this place, and everyone in it. And their realities. Because yanno, it's not all about me, is it?
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
    • Snake's Myspace Page (The Snake Pit)
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:56:33 AM »

Does that include lying through omission?

:D

Not quite sure what you mean by that...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."--Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 03:12:55 AM »

Not quite sure what you mean by that...

Well, lets just say, as a purely hypothetical example, someone posted information on a certain subject without making it clear that they had copied it from another person's webpage or providing a link, in the hope someone would think it was their own work and so come across as being smarter than they actually are.

In that case, they'd be guilty of lying by omission.  I wonder what your moral code has to say about that?

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:14:13 AM »

Also, while I'm here:

1. Harm None…unless provoked.

Would this extend to threatening to harm others for being mocked online?  Again, purely hypothetical.  8)

blue

• Birch
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 04:38:45 AM »

I believe that what goes around comes around and that for the most part you create your own environment.

Don't know anything about the afterlife ... but i'm pretty sure that we're all held accountable for our choices and actions in this lifetime. What you put out there is what returns to affect you body,mind, and spirit.

behindstarryeyes

• Orange
  • Amaris
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »

Thanks for the responses, everyone.  Its been very enlightening.  It's interesting to note that pagans and even atheists (in my somewhat limited experiences anyway) generally seem to have a stricter moral code than most Christians.  I guess that most pagans and atheists I know believe is some variation of karma, where as Christians are taught basically if you sin, you can be forgiven.  It seems that there is less incentive there to do the right thing, because supposedly you'll be forgiven, when by karmatic law, your negative actions will always come back to haunt you.   
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up