Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 19, 2014, 09:32:23 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: meditation  (Read 2026 times)

magdalene

• Willow
meditation
« on: October 09, 2011, 01:56:43 AM »

I always try to meditate but I can never stay concentrate much on no thinking is there a trick to not think?? When meditating

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
Re: meditation
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:43:44 AM »

Rather than trying not to think, concentrate on your heartbeat, and your breath. The interaction between these two stills internal dialogue. Because they are internal processes. Your lungs don't 'tell' your heart to speed up or slow down, they just do. Conscious thought is the same. It soon gets bored when forced to monitor autonomous body functions, and switches off. But you have to be firm with it, because it's sense of self importance is disproportionately high. Make it sulk. Who cares, as long as it shuts up for a while? Easier with practice.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

morningdove

• Ash
  • Nana to an Angel
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »

That is good advice Serpentium.

When I meditate I just allow the thoughts to flow into my head and right back out not focusing on any one particular thought. When I find that I do start to focus I just let it go and start the controled breathing again.
Lost and wondering

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »

Meditation is something learned through practise.
I was reading about brain processes some time ago and the article I was reading talked to the aspect of primary thought focus.
If I remember correctly, we have a new focus ever 6 seconds and the only thing that can keep us on topic is engaging in a physical activity. Take jogging. Your mind will be wondering all over the place but your body stays on task plodding along and your thoughts do return to what your doing.

When meditating, the mind will wonder (referred to as monkey mind). The trick is to recognise it and return to the main focus of your meditation. It takes practise.

sarahbethany57

• Elm
    • explore the shadows
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:22 PM »

I have the same problem. i have gotten a tiny bit better by focusing on my breathing, or picking one word or phrase to focus on.

tomas

• Holly
  • See the above...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »

Something that's helped me over the years is starting out with three deep cleansing breaths, then focusing on slowing my breathing down. I generally hold a crystal in my hands and look at without completely focusing my eyes on it. Then I let my mind wander around.

tomas
"Music is a release from the tyranny of conscious thought"
-- Kevin Burke
Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids...

magdalene

• Willow
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »

Okay okay. the way I do it is I just keep brething and breathing slower each time but as soon as I let my mind wonder I just can't focus on my breathing and my concetation is lost and it take me a while to do it again...I guess all I can do is practice till I get it right. Thank you for your advice

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:28:36 PM »

Take some rudimentary yoga classes. I could never get to the proper state of relaxation to really clear my mind till I started yoga. They teach you really well how to control breathing and focus. You can use the yoga breathing techniques when you meditate. If you get good enough at it, the yoga is itself a very effective form of meditation.....and you end up a lot more limber too.

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

TheGreenWizard

• Rowan
  • Which way on the Golden Brick Road shall I go?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »

Definitely do the Yoga classes, as Earthbreeze suggested. That or Tai Chi. Either one teaches you to become still, and to focus on your breathing, your movements. Personally, I like to meditate with a lit candle. I cast a spell while lighting the candle, and, to meditate, I stare at the flame, allowing my thoughts to slowly become silent, and my mind's storm still.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Keysol

• Ash
  • "Words without thoughts never to heaven go"
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 02:11:09 AM »

The first thing you really have to do is dispel the most horrid untruth about meditation.

Meditation is not about consentrating on nothing or not thinking. It's almost fairly impossible. Even during sleep, the brain is active, so "not thinking" is absurd. In actuality, the very task that so many people start with is typically the same task that will be the reason people give up on meditation....simply because....they can't "not think about anything".

So...just forget about that, it's stupid.

Mediation is the art of the "unfocused". Remember years ago when those posters and tshirts were really popular...the ones that you would stare at for so long that your vision would unfocus and a picture would appear in the print? Meditation is sort of like that. It's easy enough to do, people that read auras do it as well.

There are different approaches to meditation. If you want to look at with a little psychology thrown into it, it's a concept of removing control from the Ego, the conscious mind. In truth, the Ego likes to be in control, after all, it's used to it and pretty good at it. So, when something like meditation comes into the picture, the Ego struggles with giving up control to the Self, or the subconscious mind. So the Ego play dirty...it will be that little tickle in your throat, or the itch on your leg. The stray though about the unpaid water bill, or what to make for lunch tomorrow. Now, you can struggle with the Ego and ignore all of it. But just like the dieter that craves chocolate...if you don't give in, you're gonna end up eating a whole chocolate cake instead of a candy bar.

So, you just acknowledge the stray thoughts "I'll get back to you later". You clear your throat but continue your focus. When I say focus, I mean something that you are doing to bring a certain continuous monotony to your meditation.

This is most likely the simplest trick in meditation...finding something you can do over and over again to put your self in a sort of trance. Some people, as mentioned by other members in previous posts, use breathing methods. I use a few different types. One is a a simple rocking back and forth, like being in a rocking chair. I find it soothing and it appeases my total inability to remain still...lol. I also use mala beads (also called meditation beads), where a strand of beads (the standard is 108 beads) are draped over the hand and each bead is lightly turned and a mantra is spoken at each turn.

Anyway, meditation is not something that comes easy. It can take years to actually achieve. Many people that say they meditate are actually in a deep relaxation state (a difference can be found in brain wave frequencies in alpha waves vs theta waves). Learn about different methods, maybe check out some guided meditations (check out Mary & Richard Maddux, they have some really great meditations and Doreen Virture had some good chakra energizing ones if you can handle the new age spiel she has) or just check out other different meditation methods.

The point is to take time for yourself and unfocus.
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

FallenWings

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »

I've always found it easy to meditate. I just sit or lay down, close my eyes, on concentrate on the sound and feel of my breathing, and of my heart beating. No thoughts ever come by.

The biggest part is closing my eyes- it seems to close off my thought process. Whenever my eyes are open, I can't stop thinking, but as soon as they close, I can concentrate on whatever.

So maybe just close your eyes, breathe slowly, and listen to the sounds of your heart and breathing, and what they feel like?

But then again, I'm always zoning out, so maybe the inability to think comes natural to me? XP

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »

I always try to meditate but I can never stay concentrate much on no thinking is there a trick to not think?? When meditating

As Keysol said, you need to dismantle the, as she says, 'ego'. Liquidate it! This is how I have found peace in meditation. You need to go through a process of breaking down who you think you are (Body in front of the mirror), and change your focus to your true self (The consciousness). You are void. You are the silence (But you are also bliss and love which will when you're empty). Your body is merely a hologram. I'm not saying mistreat your body... love it. But, expand who you think you are and then when you become the darkness, you will feel at home!
Above all, practice... observe, and try to become empty. Being nothing is being EVERYTHING. :-)

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »

A bath or shower can be a fantastic meditation, if you focus on the heat, the feel of the water, the sounds etc. You could also try it before sitting in the dark. It helps me relax.

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
  • Give the Gift of Love...Volunteer!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »

The only meditation I do is a guided meditation from time to time.  Meditation is something that does not appeal to me as I cannot disengage my mind.  Why would I meditate when I could spend the time reading?  As a little green worm bookworm, I have to have constantly be feeding.

I am sure there are lots of benefits to meditation.  Perhaps someday I'll get the hang of it.
We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »

Well, it's essential to know WHY you are going to meditate before doing it...and not just for the sake of it, otherwise...yes, your mind may go wandering.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up