Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 01, 2014, 06:53:27 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do for the winter solstice?  (Read 1056 times)

Em.O

• Meṁber
  • Elm
What to do for the winter solstice?
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »

Okay, I know it's still some time away but it's hard not to think about the winter holidays with all those commercials and flyers around!

To be honest, I've never really done much to celebrate any Pagan holidays in the time I've spent studying them. I would always forget or something would come up or I would be busy with school or something of that sort.
So I was just wondering wha to do for Yule? I've heard of people staying up all night then watching the sun rise but, well with school the next day that's just a tad inconvenient. I also know about the burning of the Yule log but I don't have a fireplace so would lighting candles suffice? I also recall reading somewhere about how the Native people would sleep, as opposed to the Celtic people staying awake all night, to dream to see what important messages were sent to them that night. That sounds the most appealing to me personally because then I can sleep haha.

So what do you guys do or would suggest me trying?
-I want to be reborn as an ocean-

dark magus

• Apple
Re: What to do for the winter solstice?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »

Personally, I just try to keep warm and drink lots of hot chocolate!

There is no set rule of what to do or not to do. If your involved with a specific religion/tradition/beleif that has a custom of doing some specific thing at Yule, then you should do that.
If not, then ask yourself what feels like the right thing to do. What does this time mean TO YOU and how best can you honor that?

Not being wiccan or of a celtic tradition, the wheel of the year means nothing to me. I'm more interested in the seasons as they change in my area and how nature changes with the seasons. For me, there are only four "holidays" according to the seasons.

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »

We light a red candle and keep it burning into the 25th.  But that is a personal ritual we came up with to tie the 2 holidays together (there's more to it than that, tho' but I don't want to overwhelm you).

Do what will be meaningful to you, not what might be acceptable to anyone else. 

You may want to research the  history and origins of different decorations and even the mother and child.  It's pretty fascinating.  not much about christmas originated with christ so we're pretty good with the holiday.  Who cares if my family doesn't know the baby in the creche is someone else? It's not about us vs. them, people.
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

iridescence

• Rowan
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »

All the above is great, and then some... Perhaps above all, stay warm and cozy. I love the nesting and the snuggling that is more seasonally provoked by the winter solstice... Are the number of September/October/November births any wonder?
Behold the harshness of light, embrace the comfort of darkness.

Em.O

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:55 PM »

Ah, okay thanks! I guess I just wanted to do a little something since this seems to be the time of year everyone's doing something! But I completely forgot about the everyday stuff like hot chocolate and chestnuts and snuggling up with my mom :)

iridescence

• Rowan
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »

Yes, we mom's do so love to snuggle with our children, even if they as they become larger and wiser than us.  :-*

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »

Any time one is looking for those things they can do....for what ever the season, first try to consider what people did before TV or the internet...maybe even before board games.
The most magical things are the simplist things.

iridescence

• Rowan
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »

Any time one is looking for those things they can do....for what ever the season, first try to consider what people did before TV or the internet...maybe even before board games.
The most magical things are the simplist things.
Absolutely....  :-*

claudette

• Willow
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »

I've celebrated Yule in many different ways over the years, even forgotten all about it once in a while.  To me, Christmas is all about being with family, the music, the food, the lights, the decorations.  We've stopped spending much money on gifts because that's not important to us and besides, we have everything we need already.
But, Yule, is my quiet time.  Some years, I've had Yule fires outside and a ritual of some sort, other times simply a burning candle.  Some years, a special meal, other times fast food.
My favorite thing is to simply step outside (weather permitting) bid the autumn goodbye and welcome winter.  I thank Mother Earth for the glorious autumn and hope she sleeps well.  She deserves a long, quiet rest.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »

When we had a fireplace we used to burn a yule log, but those days are gone.

I go for the comforts. We do a bonfire and make sure we burn some of the leaves from all the trees in the yard.  I make spiced cider.  Usually cook a big dinner.  I tend to focus on certain foods, apples, squashes and root veggies in thanks for a good harvest and the stores in place the coming winter. I do ham or a roast for Yule instead of turkey.  A bit symbolic in the use of some, the rest of which is frozen and cured for the winter.

This goes back to when I was on the farm more than what happens today as I don't grow all of my own veggies these days.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Betsy

• Holly
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »

All the above is great, and then some... Perhaps above all, stay warm and cozy. I love the nesting and the snuggling that is more seasonally provoked by the winter solstice... Are the number of September/October/November births any wonder?

You do realize that if your baby is born in November you were actually snuggling in February  ;D

Aunt Thora

• Cypress
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 06:02:25 PM »

something i enjoy doing is take the time (before everything gets all party and family and friends and after all the prep work ) to slip outside alone and just sit out there and look about, breath deep, and give thanks for all the blessing of the year and jsut sit or stand there and let good feelings fill me.  I feel so much love come into my soul and a peace that runs deep. 

Em.O

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »

Ahh reading all these are making me really excited for the holidays haha! ^^
Pages: [1]   Go Up