Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 26, 2014, 06:35:42 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talismans?  (Read 781 times)

Alces Alces

• Holly
Re: Talismans?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »

A couple of the books I've read, including Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (S Cunningham) mentioned talismans, but in a very casual way. They seemed to be saying that anyone can just go ahead and make one of these. That's why I believe forums like this, along with reading, reading, reading make for a more well rounded course of study. I imagine publishing houses don't want to try selling a book that tells you this is what you can do, but you have to wait. People are too eager to jump in at the deep end... no life preserver and no swimming lessons. I myself prefer to take the longer road that I know will take me where I want to go!

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »

Some and most don't mean the same thing.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

I didn't miss the "most" part DM (unless that wasn't aimed at me o.o). I'm just saying I know I wouldn't be ready for any talisman making as of yet since I am not that far into my path. Would be an interesting read though. I wouldn't think all talismans needed blood anyway, just like runes in a way.

ETA: Oops nevermind, sorry for misunderstanding what as meant by that DM. I will now back away slowly..*backs away slowly and hides in the closet*
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:58:54 PM by MoonlitWings »

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »

Marisol, if it can be discussed here, could you expand on that a bit?

Talismans are an easy way to focus magical intent, when worn or carried.
It is a form of symbolic magic meant to attract or repel influences from the carrier. These talismans are usually made for Love, luck, fertility, protection,
and a well balanced and happy life. Food is the usual offering in the creation of talismans. A votive offering or gifts may also be left at a shrine.

To cure the sick Shamans make offerings of food and wine, animal sacrifice
is used only as a last result.

Animal sacrifice is the most known type of offering in Santeria in severe situations. Food is offered first.

I do not recommend anyone making talismans unless they are very sure of what they are doing. Using blood should be avoided.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 06:25:46 AM »

I'm just shaking my head at the ignorance here.

Because I am royally pissed right now, I am going to limit my comment.

I strongly suggest anyone wanting to know the facts about talismans go and study a book.

marisol, learn the difference in animal sacrifice and blood ritual.  Learn what witchcraft considers a living sacrifice because I promise you it does not require killing an animal, nor does a blood ritual require a death of any sort.  Also, learn what the hell santaria is and don't take your information from some 80's movie.  Because your comment above only shows just how little you really know.

You took a line here and a line there from various places on the web or books and put them together as facts.  Problem is, the only thing you said which is actually true are your first two sentences.  The rest have pieces of truth but as a whole are inaccurate.

I will be happy to get into the multiple religions world wide who use animal sacrifices and then move on to religions that use blood offerings and finish up with religious talismans across the world and from history.  Then we can get into shamanism and their use of sacrifice to make talismans and the offerings they make and why. 

Then I can kill a fvcking live checken for you and do a fvcking voodoo dance because your christianity is showing.  Want me to make a voodoo doll too.  I mean if we are going to make shit up, lets at least have some fun.

Please do not give advice just to contradict me.  It will not be pretty.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »

Sticks and stones Khara. I'm glad you're back to your old self.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me.
So throw me down and tie me up, and show me that you like me.

So keep it clean and don't be mean, let this thing pass by now.
Ladies please Let's keep the peace, and let it all die down now.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If I may interject? I read it as Marisol's post being in addition to Doom Monkey's post, I don't believe any challenge or contradiction is intended. Cross purposes are easily mistaken on the interwebs.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

I agree D they are very easily mistaken. I'm for keeping the peace. So no worries dear Dragon.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 03:59:20 PM »

My thanks H, Dragon is a happy Dragon  :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »

To finish what I was going to say, Talismans are man-made and inscribed or carved with what is needed. Often passed through incense smoke to cleanse.

Amulets are different from talismans, amulets are generally natural objects
such as stones, clover and rabbits feet. Amber has been considered a
protective amulet against bad luck, illness, and evil since ancient times.
Amber's name was "amuletum or amoletum" which means method of defense. These days amulets are also ornamental charms or symbols worn
to avert danger and evil influences, they are usually magically charmed for the protection of a particular person.

I've made several amulets for friends and have never received complaints.

brittanygail

• Fir
  • Hi, I'm Brittany :)
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »

Well.... this certainly got interesting while I was away o.O

For the record, I understand this is an open forum but I don't want to start any fighting by asking a question.

Dragon, thank you for your advice. As you already know I'm pretty new to this so I'll hold off on trying to make one (even though I am familiar with blood).

Blessed be.
Half the time I have no idea what I'm doing because I'm too busy admiring things.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 06:29:39 AM »

Brittanygirl , nice to see you back , do hope all is well with you ?. Let me know how you are doing okay .
Back to the subject , will not get into it but for one thing DO NOT DO BLOOD MAGIC OR RITUALS USES OF BLOOD , no only does it take many years to handle it correctly but even those that have done it sometime forget the little thing called infection .  Stick with simple charms to aid you even if you have to carry many of them .
Like C_A said one tiny mistake is all it take to screw things up greatly , think fatal ................................
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »

I have never used blood, I see no reason it would be needed. I'm sure some would disagree with me, but I'm just not into that sort of thing. If at some time I do think I do, it would have to be something serious and thoroughly
studied.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up