Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 18, 2014, 04:40:44 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Making One's Tools?  (Read 6447 times)

Aithne_Morgan

• Meṁber
  • Alder
Making One's Tools?
« on: November 19, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »

Hello,

I am new to the study and practice of Wicca. In my readings, I've learned about altars and tools. I want to have basic ones of my own so I can practice this path while I learn it. Is it acceptable to make one's tools or to use one not originally made for magical purposes? Some things I have read say that making your own tools is helpful. Some say that re-purposing is damaging and others say that as long as you purify the objects, it should be okay. To be more specific, I was planning on finding some tools in nature and making others myself, and then using a knife I own as my boline.

Thank you,
 Aithne

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
Re: Making One's Tools?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »

Yes
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

iridescence

• Rowan
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 04:09:28 PM »

Well... What kind of magic were you planning to do? What rituals were going to be used? Were you hoping to invoke, evoke, or dwell? There are many things one must consider, and, then, too, there are the candles.

One can always improvise with what is readily around them... Especially if they merely plan a local kind of magic.
Behold the harshness of light, embrace the comfort of darkness.

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »

The simply answer is........tools is tools!
Some people use them some don't. If you belong to a tradition that has a rather formal way of doing things, you will be using tools.
If your on your own, doing your own thing, then it really depends on what makes YOU comfortable.
If a nice bright shinny chrome plated hunk of plastic turns yer crank in the way of wands....go for it. Or maybe you like a fresh stick you picked up during a walk in the woods. What ever works!

Aithne_Morgan

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »

Thanks, guys. ;D

Kendrom

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:33:33 AM »

I am of the belief that your tools will find you. This may come in the form of the right tool will be on the shelf when you go to the local supply shop; or you may come across it as you pass some place that you would not normally stop at.

As for making your tools, yes. By making them, you add your own energy to them. I make my own candles. For me, it is more personal to use candles that I have made, myself. I look at it like the difference between buying a cake for someone's Birthday, or baking it. (Keep in mind, if you can't bake, by all means buy the cake) And there is nothing wrong with buying tools from a store. I bought a small, cast iron cauldron for my censor (I've never been good at casting metal). I am expecting my wand to make itself known to me when I'm out in the woods.

And taking a favorite knife, that you used to use for preparing your own meals with, and re-purposing it for use in rituals makes a lot of sense. I was hesitant about the idea at first. But someone explained to me that his is an object that you are familiar with, you are comfortable with it and, it already has a lot of your own energy in it. So, when used in ritual, you will be comfortable with it. It would be like having an "old friend" with you.

And keep in mind, you may acquire one, or more, tools that are only temporary. It, or they will work for you until you find the one that you will use for the rest of your path.

The bottom line is, as with much of our belief, what is your intent? Most any object can be sanctified, and used. What is your intent with it? What does it mean to you? Can you used that tool comfortably? Look inside yourself, and you will find the answer to this question. Until then, make, or buy your tools as you feel the need.

May this help.

Aurest

• Cypress
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:56:27 PM »

This may sound crazy, but try sleeping with your tools underneath your pillow (not all at once!).  Tarot readers do this to "bind" their decks to them.  While I don't always place a ton of faith in the Tarot, I've found that having your tools so near to you while in hibernation does create a more personal feeling, and helps free up the "flow of energy" between you and your tools.  Also, try doing an object meditation on your tools (one at a time) to "get to know them."

Warning: Do not place your athame unerneath your pillow in such a way that it's likely to stab you.  This can be cause for an unpleasent night's sleep.  Trust me....Or don't.  Your choice.
I don't play well with the other kids,
sitting in my sandbox plotting on the government

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

And for that sellect group....you know who you are....a 410 pistol is not, I said not a magical tool! But I know you'd sleep with it under your pillow anyway!

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »

And for that sellect group....you know who you are....a 410 pistol is not, I said not a magical tool!
But it is though. It's a very powerful tool for making ones intent manifest, through it's potentially exponential effect on the gravitas of every word you emphasise with it.   
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »

;D

Aurest

• Cypress
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »

But it is though. It's a very powerful tool for making ones intent manifest, through it's potentially exponential effect on the gravitas of every word you emphasise with it.   

People started using athames because knives and swords carried out that exact function.  I suppose it would make more sense if modern pagans used a gun in their rituals...but it wouldn't earn us any brownie points from the press.  Not that it matters.  The press are a bunch of biased snobs anyways.  I bet they don't even like brownies.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:54:21 PM by Aurest »
I don't play well with the other kids,
sitting in my sandbox plotting on the government

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »

People started using athames because knives and swords carried out that exact function.  I suppose it would make more sense if modern pagans used a gun in their rituals...but it wouldn't earn us any brownie points from the press.  Not that it matters.  The press are a bunch of biased snobs anyways.  I bet they don't even like brownies.
Guns have their ówn rituals, and areas of influence, and by necessity, they're not partisan to any particular religion, moral code, or political doctrine. They are the universal leveller no-one wants to argue against.

When your only persuasive argument boils down to "Because I'm telling you to", people are far more eager to comply with your request if you are carrying some iron. It adds a silent "Or I'll shoot your face off" to everything you ask them to do. If however, they are also armed, it's a very high stakes venture, carrying a large risk of you getting badly injured or killed.

It makes people think about consequences and stuff. (Usually just before they're punched off their feet by a hail of bullets) Still, better late than never. innit? 
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »

Were you guys speaking of little old me. Thank you for thinking of me.  ;D

You are both lovely men.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

jemimahjane

• Meṁber
  • Fir
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »

not to sound like a mother hen, but really, you shouldn't make fun of other religions, because of the three fold law, AKA karma. just sayin is all.

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »

A. I don't believe in Karma

B. I don't believe in your three fold law....or the rede for that matter

C. Religion and ethnicity have been the basis for some of the best humor for years
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up