Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 24, 2014, 11:46:35 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Making One's Tools?  (Read 6723 times)

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
Re: Making One's Tools?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »

Check out some of the quotes under the blogs in the death forum. A lot of them happily put down Christianity. It just sorta bugs me.

People have a right to their opinion.  As a Christian, it doesn't bother me at all...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »

I am Wiccan.  I hold to the Threefold Law.

I do not hold to Karma or Samsara.  Those are South Asian constructs.  I do not hold to "Political Correctness" as that is a recent construct of the "touchy-feely" modernist philosophy.

I do not believe in the deprecation of religion, ANY religion.  But a joke is a joke is a joke.  There's a BIG difference.

This...
~Anonymous

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »

I believe in karma to a point.  Problem is I see people who are absolutely horrible people who do terrible things and nothing happens to them.  Then again, I also don't see them in their homes so it may be that they are totally miserable.

In any event it makes believing in anything that has the "what goes around, comes around" idealolgy kind of hard to swallow.

Did that make sense?
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »

Karma is inescapable. It simply means "action". It has no sense of moral purpose, it's no avenging righter of wrongs, it has no more ethical quotient than Newton's first law of motion. It needs no Deity or Human action to effect it's influence on the Universe.

It isn't a dynamic agent, like the God-forms and Archetypes people use to identify certain patterns. It is Dynamism. It rolls over, fills, and swallows every action ever, whether intended or not like some blind, idiot muscle. It is a Law in the truest sense. Inescapable, unbreakable, and non-partisan.

I blame the risible misunderstanding of the Bhagivad Gita that inspired  John Lennon's "Instant Karma" for the popular Western idea of Karma. We don't get what we deserve in this thing we call "life", we get what we get. End of.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:59:29 AM by Serpentium »
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »

I see karma a little differently;

In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)

Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them.

source: http://dharma.ncf.ca/introduction/truths/karma2.html

Essentially, because we know that unpleasant effects are the result of unskillful events, and we know the mental processes that generate them, we can use it as a metric for future events, to hopefully avoid the unskillful ones...
~Anonymous

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »

Karma just means  "Action". It's not some kind of good deed pention plan for the afterlife. Nor does it consider morality. It is completely non-negotiable, unstoppable, fluid, and devoid of any purpose or agenda.   

It's not keeping a tab on us,  or any kind of score. It doesn't care what you did last summer, doesn't spell vendetta with a 'V'  You cannot feel it, or touch it, and you can only observe it's effect on the World, if you can find a place of perfect stillness to watch from.

It is unmitigated and uncompromising. It will not notice you, but it is inescapable. It is the first movement of the first molecule of matter. It is a Principality, and can't be diverted, invoked, avoided, or streamed. It moves simultaneously through all things, and everything resonates to it.

Karma will not 'reward' the man who spends his life doing "good" deeds, and it will not punish the wicked. It doesn't care if your name is Adolf Hitler, or Earl Hickey.  It does not "come and go" it just is. It's colours are not like your dreams, red gold and green. It's not your lover, or your rival.

We may be oblivious to it, but we're still wrapped up in it's dynamic. So we really are in a Karmacoma. (Jamaica in Roma) It rolls over you, like a massive attack. Tricky too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7IPovx9Ug&feature=related
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Darlita

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • My Essence On the World
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »

Sorry, but I have a question based on the topic. Any ideas on wands? I dont want to have a rod of wood. Something else. Any ideas? I've read about using your forefinger. But I really want to get creative and I'm at a dead end. I've tried googling it, but it only says making wands out of wood, but I really want to use something else.

Sorry if it sounds confusing and out of the norm. Blessed be

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

A Bone?

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »

I know someone who uses a wrench...  Seriously

Eta:  Upon further reflection, it might be an athame that he uses a wrench for.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:44:20 PM by Earthbound Spirit »
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

ForestFaith

• Meṁber
  • Willow
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »

Maybe you could use a knife or dagger?

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong with wood?

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »

I walked by a beautiful cherry tree. I was tempted to retrieve one of it's branches for use as a wand...

but then I realized that I might rather have a ripe cherry to eat in due time than to steal one of it's branches so that I might have a wand. (and no, I'm not the one who was asking about wands, I just thought I'd share my feelings about delicious, delicious cherries :D)
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »

Personally, I would never cut off a live branch to make a tool.  I would wait until one fell or take a dead one that is still left on the tree.  If you do decide to remove a live or dead branch from the tree, I would ask permission first and then thank it for its sacrifice if it gives its permission.  I wouldn't want someone to cut off one of my fingers without asking permission first. :-p

Darlita

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:33 PM »

Absolutely nothing, just wanting to be creative  :)

Darlita

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »

Maybe you could use a knife or dagger?

I replaced my athame with a dagger and to represent air, but good idea though
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up