Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 25, 2014, 11:57:49 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Us vs. Them (Bah humbug!) :p  (Read 1428 times)

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
Us vs. Them (Bah humbug!) :p
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »

I get so sick of this at this time of year.  What holiday do you celebrate?  I had a discussion w/ my friend the other day because someone got mad that we weren't planning an exclusively pagan (whatever that means HA!) celebration on Dec. 23. 

My friend and I are both of the mind that this time of year it is about the world coming together, not about the opportunity to demonstrate your belief in SEPARATENESS by singling out your beliefs.  Sheesh.  Get over it people.  It is NOT about us vs. them.  Dh says 'Happy Birth of the S-n' to everyone and leaves it open to interpretation.
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

dark magus

• Apple
Re: Us vs. Them (Bah humbug!) :p
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »

I celebrate Christmas. I enjoy the family get to gathers, the food, the gift giving, the songs.
My wife has 5 brothers and sisters, all with kids, some of them with kids.
Last Christmas we had 48 people through the house Christmas night, 30 of them for Christmas dinner.

Yes, some of them head off to church, but we usually drive around town to see the lights.

It's not a celebration of any religious ideal, but a celebration of family.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:45:22 PM by dark magus »

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »

For me, it's all about being with the people I love and who love me.  My house is open and friends and family come and go all day long, heck, with xmas being on a Sunday this year, probably all weekend long.

I love just spending time with my kids and they all make an extra effort to be nice to each other.

I agree with dm...
I celibrate Christmas. I enjoy the family get to geathers, the food, the gift giving, the songs.

It's not a celibration of any religious ideal, but a celibration of family.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »

On the other hand, I despise this time of year with humanity in general.  You want to prove we evolved, go sit in the mall or WalMart.  You will see poo flinging everywhere. It's absolutely disgusting.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

blue

• Birch
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »

To me this time of year is all about family.

I've got a few things to finish up in the shop then i'm headed out on a 1,300 mile trip to spend some time with my son & his family.

Have a great holiday everyone .... (no matter which holiday is special to you.)

Catch y'all on the flipside. :)

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »

I celebrate both yule and Christmas. My family never knows the differerence. They are lovely people. The only thing they don't   understand is why am outside on such a cold night.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »

Today I'm celebrating Festivus... for the rest of us...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »

I thought I might completely and deliberately subvert the whole Christian concept of Christmas this year (for a change) by making a big cross, crucifying an effigy of Santa to it. along with lots of tinsel, and crowning Santa with a crown of severed Barbie doll's heads.Then planting it outside the nearest Catholic Church, on Christmas eve, while they are having their midnight Mass.  Y'know? As a joke.

(Well it works for me!)
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »

LOL, I actually like he idea!

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

It kinda illustrates how Mammon has crept in and taken over the whole paradigm. And Santa, (Being his co-conspirator & agent) should be nailed up to remind everyone that . . . . . . I dunno, I hadn't thought that far, but it does seem fitting. And anyone who gets offended on religious grounds, should really examine which God they've just been singing praises to.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

crystalenka

• Pine
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

Love that idea Serp haha.

Personally, I do a private ritual for the solstice. But I'm having my Jewish boss and his very Catholic boyfriend over for dinner on Christmas eve, so it's going to be quite the evening. I see Christmas as more of a commercialized holiday than a religious one in any case, at least in the United States. It's a little different with my family in Europe.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:24:31 PM »

Good idea Serp, Santa is a pain in the *** and He  never brings what I want. ;)
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Mountain_Mamma

• Holly
  • One with the Moon
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »

I'm having my Jewish boss and his very Catholic boyfriend over for dinner on Christmas eve.

:o

Cracks me up....  Cleaning coffee from my monitor......

And other religions call US Heathens.....

Different Strokes for Different Folks.....

Family, Football, Cheer, and BEER......

<-----------  Has a Christmas tree, and empty stocking's (the kid's are being soooo good this week) for Santa to fill, My mothers Nativity Set, with pretty pointsetta's and candles, and My Yule log ready to hit the fireplace on the 22nd...  I'll do a private little thing for myself on Yule, and all the classic, commercial stuff for my babe's..... 

Maybe I am a Heathen.....

Oh well, works for my family, and I'm at peace with it....

Still laughing Crystal.... I wanna come to your party.....  ;D
Laugh, Live, Love
Blessed Be

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »

I generally enjoy any holiday that encourages people to party... (like I need an excuse... *lol*).  Any takers for Kwanza?
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:10:18 PM »

The Heathens on board might take a miff or two away from this thread!

"Heathens", in the last half-century or so, have been the Asatruar and Norse among us.

For many years, though, I was known as "THE Heathen DJ", (notably, my first "handle" ere at TCC!), and my company was known as "T.H.D. Entertainment", ("The Heathen's Den").  It had NOTHING to do with my religion.  Because I wore a beard.  My,(painfully Catholic), maternal grandmother labelled me a "Heeden".  I might hazard a guess that she actually meant "Saracen"....
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up