Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 24, 2014, 06:26:06 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How is sexuality viewed through pagan beliefs?  (Read 5579 times)

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
Re: How is sexuality viewed through pagan beliefs?
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »

You know a group who must be terribly marginalised? Asexuals. I never even knew there were such a large group of people defining themselves this way  till I ran into a young guy who did on a religious website (he's an agnostic). He said he was a Non-Romantic Asexual, in that he didn't desire a close personal marriage like relationship with one particular person. But he went on to explain that there were romantic asexuals who did desire a one on one relationship, but who had no desire to behave sexually within that relationship.

There is a young couple in this clip who seem to fit that category but who at the end of the clip admit to beginning experimenting. So it's obviously very confusing even for the people involved. . Now I like to think of myself as pretty open  minded on sexual matters, but I know it took me a lot of assimilating to do away with some assumptions like "suppressing homosexual urges much" and "oh he's just geeky looking and can't get any."

I now really do believe there are probably quite a few asexual people  - as opposed to eternally choosing to be celibate people -  among us. In fact it may be a lot more commonplace than we know. I suspect the derision and disbelief they face in being open about a lack of sexual feelings for anyone or anything is a big deterrent to coming out.

Asexuality in animal populations is pretty well documented. But we haven't done a hell of a lot of study on the phenomenon in people. Most Psychologists are still arguing over whether or not it exists or if it is a masking of the person's true sexuality due to some other factor. (childhood trauma/homophobic family background - all the usual suspects.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKGOMUVU7g

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:37:49 PM by Scorched Eartha »
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »

Wow, SE...

If you EVER doubt why we "keep you around", EVER, I'm going to point to THIS POST and say, "THAT".  Arright!??
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »

C_A..lol...ta.
I'm currently being used by a facebook contact in Canada as a case study in his Linguistics MA thesis on trolling -  so I do have value in many places for my unique abilities.

Now this is funnay.....asexuals sharing some of the insensitive, inappropriate and just plain idiotic comments and questions directed towards them by people they come out to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBabpK_nvs0
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

Edward Collett

• Cypress
  • Pride <3
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »

You know a group who must be terribly marginalised? Asexuals. I never even knew there were such a large group of people defining themselves this way  till I ran into a young guy who did on a religious website (he's an agnostic). He said he was a Non-Romantic Asexual, in that he didn't desire a close personal marriage like relationship with one particular person. But he went on to explain that there were romantic asexuals who did desire a one on one relationship, but who had no desire to behave sexually within that relationship.

There is a young couple in this clip who seem to fit that category but who at the end of the clip admit to beginning experimenting. So it's obviously very confusing even for the people involved. . Now I like to think of myself as pretty open  minded on sexual matters, but I know it took me a lot of assimilating to do away with some assumptions like "suppressing homosexual urges much" and "oh he's just geeky looking and can't get any."

I now really do believe there are probably quite a few asexual people  - as opposed to eternally choosing to be celibate people -  among us. In fact it may be a lot more commonplace than we know. I suspect the derision and disbelief they face in being open about a lack of sexual feelings for anyone or anything is a big deterrent to coming out.

Asexuality in animal populations is pretty well documented. But we haven't done a hell of a lot of study on the phenomenon in people. Most Psychologists are still arguing over whether or not it exists or if it is a masking of the person's true sexuality due to some other factor. (childhood trauma/homophobic family background - all the usual suspects.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKGOMUVU7g
Psychologists like to make excuses for natural behaviors like this one.  I don't understand why they can't accept that it's just how people are.

I'm also curious, based on what you cited if there's a name for someone who wants a one on one relationship, but the only sexual contact be on the partner and not the self.  Wanting to please that other person, but not wanting pleasure back in that same manner.  Something worth researching.

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
  • Give the Gift of Love...Volunteer!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2012, 07:10:44 AM »

I'm also curious, based on what you cited if there's a name for someone who wants a one on one relationship, but the only sexual contact be on the partner and not the self.  Wanting to please that other person, but not wanting pleasure back in that same manner.  Something worth researching.

Perhaps it has something to do with not being able to be intimate.  Intimacy involves trust.  When a person can't trust, it can influence just about every aspect of their lives. 

Some people can't accept sexual gratification from others but can gratify themselves.  That can lead to feeling guilty for denying the other person intimacy.  Sexual gratification and intimacy are two very different things.
We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Edward Collett

• Cypress
  • Pride <3
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2012, 07:43:07 AM »

Perhaps it has something to do with not being able to be intimate.  Intimacy involves trust.  When a person can't trust, it can influence just about every aspect of their lives. 

Some people can't accept sexual gratification from others but can gratify themselves.  That can lead to feeling guilty for denying the other person intimacy.  Sexual gratification and intimacy are two very different things.
You have just described my life.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 03:12:37 AM »

Good thing too, in my opinion. And although they're often found inhabiting the same body parts, they are not mutually exclusive. Or necessarily oppositional. But at the end of the day, both will generally benefit from a Taxi ride home at some point.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »

Good thing too, in my opinion. And although they're often found inhabiting the same body parts, they are not mutually exclusive. Or necessarily oppositional. But at the end of the day, both will generally benefit from a Taxi ride home at some point.

Might be polite of you just once to at least offer to pay for the taxi though...or you know...ring it for her . Rather than booting her out in the snow to hail one.

Just sayin'.

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »

Might be polite of you just once to at least offer to pay for the taxi though...or you know...ring it for her . Rather than booting her out in the snow to hail one.

Just sayin'.
Might be polite of her to offer to cook breakfast before she goes too!
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »

Might be polite of her to offer to cook breakfast before she goes too!

But we'd used all the butter the night before!... I mean hypothetically speaking you might want to pop into Tesco's a bit more often. Your larder's hardly bursting at the seams the way I remember I mean from what I hear.

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »

Get back in that kitchen and make me a sammich, or I'll Master you!

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »

Get back in that kitchen and make me a sammich, or I'll Master you!

:-*

Yes Sir Pentium.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 04:59:29 AM »

Now, now...spill over much, do we?

Tsk tsk....
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »

He's an appallingly bad influence on me is all I can offer as an excuse.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »

He's an appallingly bad influence on me is all I can offer as an excuse.

Well then, pense for a moment the combined effect on ME...

:)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up