Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 12, 2014, 05:35:13 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shamanism and Wicca?  (Read 959 times)

Eagle_Spirit

• Meṁber
  • Elm
Shamanism and Wicca?
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:29:34 AM »

Hi everyone,

Im completely new to Wicca and pagan paths in general. Wicca found me a couple of months ago through happenings that were more than just coincidence and i have since found myself drawn spiritually to this path.

I have done a lot of research since i found that such religion exists and i have come to the conclusion that shamanic tradition is what ties in with me more than other paths. In saying that i still feel a connection to the earth and a wiccan path makes sense to me.

Since i was young i have always been interested in dreaming, before i was 10 I was telling my mum that i could control my dreams and was told that i was imagining it. (I later found out this was lucid dreaming.)
Dreaming, herbalism, healing and meditation are all aspects that i feel i want to know more about. I have already been told in my first encounter with wicca that i have an eagle spirit guide watching over me, (If anyone can explain how this witch may have known this that would be good too :) ) however wicca feels just as close to me.

Can shamanism and wicca be put together?
How will i know for sure that it is my calling to a shamanic path? (As i said i am very new to it all and of course have those natural doubts even though it feels so strong.)
Any places i can look for some basic meditation techniques? (I am particulary interested in Astral Projection, as i said.. Dreaming is what interests me most!)

Thankyou :)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Palm
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Shamanism and Wicca?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:05 AM »

Hi Eagle
Combining Shamanism with Wicca are two different religions, strictly speaking it is no longer Wicca. Try combining Catholicism and Islam. You can combine of course but your path is then an eclectic one, which of course is equally as valid as any other. The path that you decide to follow is your path and if it works for you then there is no problem; thatís the whole thing about Paganism.

You are still very young in your journey, there is a lot for you yet to understand and to learn and therein lies the key, learning. As you continue with your journey perhaps later on and further down the line you will be drawn closer to a particular route. There is no need for you to label yourself either, I simply call myself Pagan, I am drawn to a couple of paths.

Perhaps someone may be able to offer some ideas about reading matter for you, in the meantime though, I would try googling or Amazon, perhaps even your local library.

Remember, there are no time limits or deadlines for any of this; it will come to you when it is time. Just keep reading and studying. If any one else here can give pointers they will.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:46 AM »

And here we have one of my biggest issues with Wicca.  It doesn't open itself to other ideas and paths. 

Are you native E_S?  I have a couple of books on shamanism I was pleased with, I'll write the names down and give them to you.  They are based on NA teachings as opposed to other paths.

I always advise people to look at what it is about Wicca they are truly drawn too.  Most say to the Goddess.  That's easy, the majority of the occult is goddess worship based so you may have just taken a wrong turn with Wicca if you are also drawn to shamanism.  Don't let the "you can't combine the two" thing stop you, this world has too few true shamans.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Eagle_Spirit

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:39 PM »

Thanks guys i have been questioning whether i am in the right place and studying the right things, however knoing it isnt unusual to mix different paths makes me more comfortable. I still have a lot of research to do but everything i read points me to a shamanic path.

Thanks Khara would love to read any material you know of. Also a question, is one born a shaman or can you train yourself to follow that path. Even though i am attracted to all things shamanic, how do i know i am meant for it?.. The only true sign i have had is that i am a natural lucid dreamer if that means anything?

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »

Thanks guys i have been questioning whether i am in the right place and studying the right things, however knoing it isnt unusual to mix different paths makes me more comfortable. I still have a lot of research to do but everything i read points me to a shamanic path.

Thanks Khara would love to read any material you know of. Also a question, is one born a shaman or can you train yourself to follow that path. Even though i am attracted to all things shamanic, how do i know i am meant for it?.. The only true sign i have had is that i am a natural lucid dreamer if that means anything?

it's hard to explain E_S, it's one of those things that you are strongly drawn too and you may have already had vision journeys before now.  For myself, shamanism was something I was not as much drawn too and thrust into kicking and screaming.  It didn't settle well with me for a good number of years and I fought it like the plague.  These days, I'm a lot more comfortable with my abilities and have a lot more control over my visions and such.

Here are a few books I've found...

Rainbow Medicine: A Visionary Guide to Native American Shamanism by Wolf Moondance, Jim Sharpe and Sky Starhawk

Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies by Robert Lake-Thom - he actually has a few books out there on this subject, however, this is th eonly one I have read.

Then we have this one;

Animal-Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small by Ted Andrews

While Andrews is not NA, he has covered the subject very well.  I have a number of his books that I have been happy with.

Then you get into the celtic shamanism. 

By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism (Llewellyn's Celtic Wisdom) by D.J. Conway - I like DJ even if she is a bit fluffy.  She still researches her subjects amazingly well.

The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers by Frank MacEowen and Tom Cowan - this is just one of many these guys have written both together and individually.  I have not read all of them, but I have been very pleased with what I have read.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:03:34 AM by Khara »
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Eagle_Spirit

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »

Thanks heaps for the help Khara :)

My question still stands though, Is a huge interest in shamanic traits enough to follow that path?..  Or do you have to be born shamanic to be shamanic? :/

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Palm
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:17:19 PM »

No, you don't have to be born to it. Shamanism is a path like any other, and having a huge interest in it is your bonus; I say this because you appear to be more than drawn to this path, many take years to discover where their paths lie. My advice? Take Khara's suggestions and go for it Eagle. Immerse your self and enjoy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »

I have to agree with the Dragon here.  There is a reason you are drawn to it. 

I would take it a step further and suggest you pursue the Shamanism before you go too far into Wicca and get lost from the path you should be on.

Sridgway13

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »

Is wicca witchcraft same thing

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »

Sridgway if you would please go to introductions and tell us about yourself. Then we can better answer your question.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Palm
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »

Sridgway13, We like our newcomers to introduce themselves, usually as their first post. This way we (who are from many different paths) know better who we are dealing with and how best to respond to you. Please take Marisols suggestion and post an intro in the introductions thread, thank you.

Willowen

• Cypress
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »

E_S, in the Earth based paths section of this forum I started a thread about shamanism. It started out as a bit of a newbie question, but I got a lot of valuable input from it. You're asking similar questions, so I figured I'd recommend it to you.

http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=8174.0

I'm learning more about shamanism, so any information or insight that you gain would be more than welcome.
"All knowledge is worth having."

herenow

• Fir
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »

I have to agree with the Dragon here.  There is a reason you are drawn to it. 

I would take it a step further and suggest you pursue the Shamanism before you go too far into Wicca and get lost from the path you should be on.

Good advise.  Follow what's speaking to you at the moment.  It will probably lead to additional paths.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 11:24:14 PM »

Spirit Eagle , you do not go into Shamanism , it calls to you . There are many forms and traditions from many countries . Some people believe that Shamanism is the root of other traditions .
try here    http://www.shamanicstudies.com/fssinfo.index.html
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »

Sridgway , yes do and intro . Wicca is the religious aspect and Witchcraft the pratices and uses of Magic , more after you do your intro  :)
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.
Pages: [1]   Go Up