Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 25, 2014, 10:05:56 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jupiter & Venus  (Read 4386 times)

dark magus

• Apple
Jupiter & Venus
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »

If you look at the night skies, you should see two very bright stars out there. All this month, Jupiter and Venus have been dancing closer and closer to each other. Depending on what path you follow, Jupiter might be better known to you as Zeus, Amun, or maybe The Lord.
And Venus, Aphrodite, Hathor or The Lady.

This is the closest the two have been or will be in many years. Interesting to me is that this is taking place as we approach the Spring Equinox. Add to that the fact the Mayan calender runs out this year and it puts a whole new spin on the potential on what that could mean.

So, what does it mean to you? Are you planning anything special? Or did you even know?

Thought I would add this as a side bar as the thought just came to me:
One of the reasons Wiccans place the Goddess / the Lady before the the Lord / God may be that she is the Evening star and looks down upon the Earth every night.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:31:29 PM by dark magus »

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: Jupiter & Venus
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »

dm I think that this calls for something special. I just haven't taken the time to figure out what I want to do. I think the spring equinox is a very exciting time of the year. One of my favorite times
when the Lord and the Lady dance in the sky. Night time is my time for ritual, especially if the weather is good.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »

So, what does it mean to you? Are you planning anything special? Or did you even know?

A couple of wonderful pre-Spring evenings on the deck with some of last year's wine.

Yes, I saw it in several of my RSS feeds.  But thanks for ringing it to the attention of those who may NOT have heard!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:10:20 PM by C_A »
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

nya

• Rowan
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »

Add to that the fact the Mayan calender runs out this year and it puts a whole new spin on the potential on what that could mean (quote)

Is the planet of the crossing about to hit?

But yeah the two planets look amazing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:46:29 PM by nya »

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »

Isn't Venus also the Morning Star, as well as the Evening Star..? I've seen it (At least I think it was Venus!) shining quite brightly just after sunset, and again just before sunrise. Morning would correlate more with the Virgin for me, while evening is for the Whore. I love how Venus has that double life.
I'm still speculating though...It is early days for me exploring my path. Each day adds a small piece to the puzzle. :-)

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »

WHY is evening for the whore and not the virgin?
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »

WHY is evening for the whore and not the virgin?

It's for both! ;-) Every 'thing' has an aspect of both. However, upon each individual perception of a thing, either the virgin or the whore appears to have more of a presence. For example, to me, the night expresses the Whore in its inky blackness,  and its mysterious and unpredictable presence. The Virgin's aspect is night's crispness and quietness; it's flatness. Virgin nights may be earlier in the evening, or depending on the particular night she may have more or less of a presence. Also depends how you personally feel. 

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

I'm sorry where the hell did a whore aspect of the goddess come into play?

Maiden, Mother, Crone.

Where do you get whore out of that? 
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

marisol

• Redwood
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

I don't know where he got it from he never said. My Goddess is not a whore.

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
  • Give the Gift of Love...Volunteer!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

You never heard of the Sacred Whore? 

Jungian psychologist Nancy Qualls-Corbett describes the Holy Whore as "a woman, who, through ritual or psychological development, has come to know the spiritual side of her sexuality, her true Eroticism, and lives this out according to her individual circumstances." By this definition, a Sacred Prostitute uses sex as a means to God/dess and to enlightenment.

http://www.moondance.org/1997/summer97/nonfiction/sacred.htm

We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

Yeah, I don't agree with that.  It is no different than the Covenant of Nicaea making Mary Magdelene into a prostitute.

As well, last I heard Jung was a psychologist, not a Pagan.  Psychology is not spirituality.

I can find zero references in any Pagan texts that reference the "whore" aspect of the Goddess. 

I think there may be some confusion there.
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »

I don't know where he got it from he never said. My Goddess is not a whore.

Neither is mine!

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »

Yeah, I don't agree with that.  It is no different than the Covenant of Nicaea making Mary Magdelene into a prostitute.

As well, last I heard Jung was a psychologist, not a Pagan.  Psychology is not spirituality.

I can find zero references in any Pagan texts that reference the "whore" aspect of the Goddess. 

I think there may be some confusion there.

Well first of all, I've never called myself a Pagan, and I am not Wiccan, or even a Witch. In fact, I don't call myself anything. I don't claim to be associated with any religion or tradition.

All of my ideas about myself and God have come from me. All I claim is a direct relationship with my God. :-) And yes, I use 'God' interchangeably with 'Goddess', to mean the absolute. But don't take that the wrong way. I never impose my personal way of seeing on others. I understand and accept all the distinctions...Otherwise I couldn't have my own. ;-)

If you remove yourself from your exclusively material/bodily ideas about Whores and Virgins, then you might discover a very broad spectrum of ideas and ethics behind those terms. For me, a (spiritual) whore is one who loves life in all its aspects, and sees beauty even in apparent ugliness. She desires everything. It is loosely a term for experience and lust for life. I'm not bothered what the dictionary says it means.
The Virgin is the other side of the coin, offering stability and focus; will power and mental strength. She is the purity that enables one to experience life without being corrupted by it...without becoming materially attached.
They are never apart, and are two sides of the same coin. Just like you can't have black without white. :-)
The Virgin and the Whore are the two polar aspects of the (Or my) Goddess. But as a united whole the Goddess is of course: Creator, Sustainer, Destroyer. :-)

Also, men can be virgins and whores both physically, mentally and spiritually. So bear that in mind if you've got your feminist glasses on. The Goddess is the ultimate player and lover; she can be associated with gender but personally I believe that she shouldn't be completely dragged down to human levels and judged on that basis. In my experience it just creates squabbles and conflicts. But I understand your misconceptions, and wanted to address them. :-)

My Goddess is not about living a female or male lifestyle. She is about being her unfettered self.

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »

You never heard of the Sacred Whore? 

Jungian psychologist Nancy Qualls-Corbett describes the Holy Whore as "a woman, who, through ritual or psychological development, has come to know the spiritual side of her sexuality, her true Eroticism, and lives this out according to her individual circumstances." By this definition, a Sacred Prostitute uses sex as a means to God/dess and to enlightenment.

http://www.moondance.org/1997/summer97/nonfiction/sacred.htm

Yeah, something like that. Eroticism is central. It is the Goddess's sacred power. Part of my challenge in life is finding creative, original expressions for her erotic nature. Not materially, but with consciousness. I am not afraid of her nature. I never repress anything. Repression breeds conflict and unrest.

Through the eyes of a child, everything is just new and weird and funny right? I try to be like that. So its not offensive to me because I have no basis for being offended.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »

It just seems strange to refer to the Lady/Goddess as a virgin or whore. I understand what you're TRYING to say, that they are one in the same, but PLEASE use different terminology. Referring to ANY woman, higher entity or not, is OFFENSIVE.

I RESPECT that you are still searching for "what your religion is", please RESPECT my religion. I am Wiccan and I find it offensive. I am FAR from being a feminist, but I feel disrespected to hear anyone say "The Goddess is either in virgin or whore form". Have you ever asked a woman if she was a virgin or whore? In my eyes, it's the same thing.

In the other thread, you REPEATEDLY ask WHY the Goddess is favored to the God, and we've given you SEVERAL reasons why. I applaud your search for the truth and where you belong religiously, but keep in mind we have ALL faiths represented here. What you may find offensive, others may not. There is a whole thread on THAT subject as well.

I apologize if I sound bitchy, but I get kinda defensive about my religion and when others find it acceptable to step on other people's religions or beliefs. Again, I RESPECT what you are trying to say, but PLEASE try to use other terminology to make your point. Mother/Child, or Sinner/Saint, etc. There are PLENTY of other options besides virgin/whore.
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up