Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 21, 2014, 05:03:32 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jupiter & Venus  (Read 5367 times)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
Re: Jupiter & Venus
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 05:27:55 AM »

Trouble is, AA, that it is, in itself, not "offensive".

What it IS, is "PC".

There are words used all over the place that we "shan't use anymore"....Why?

The entire concept here has both religious and psychoanalytical roots.  These ARE the words used in the various subjective texts.  Even in the Bible, we see "the whore Babylon".  Granted, in some versions it is "harlot" and in others, "prostitute".  Are those terms any less offensive?  They mean almost the same thing...but the one word is more...shall we say...spot on?  There is a huge difference between a "whore" and a "ho".

But, in "this day and age" we can't say it because it is "offensive".

To that, I say HOOEY. 

I am on record as NOT being in favor of some of the coarser language TCC allows now that it didn't only a short time ago; but in the course of dialogue, legitimately pertinent descriptives are not, now, nor shall be, ever, considered "offensive".  And, as everyone knows, I AM WICCAN.  I do not consider MY G-ddess as one even remotely appropriative of such terminology, but if it is a word that requites someone else's, well...that is the issue of that believer.  Not me, not you, and full possibly of no one else here; but for that individual it remains appropriate.

As Wiccans we see our G-d described as "The Devil".  Is it offensive?  When hurled at us as an epithet, yes.  When used in an effort to understand our issues?  Hardly.  Face it, though, in a legal or analytical sense, their relationship could be considered incestuous.  IS it?  No.  Why?  Well...THAT is the subject of a BOOK, let alone a post...or even a thread on an internet message board.  To call our G-ddess a "whore", in the same manner, if it is solely an effort at understanding, remains harmless, as well.
ďIíve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me outĒ  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »

Well first of all, I've never called myself a Pagan, and I am not Wiccan, or even a Witch. In fact, I don't call myself anything. I don't claim to be associated with any religion or tradition.

First off that was in response to someone else, so back down Sparky, it wasnít directed towards you.  I do have to question though, why are you here?  As well, if you arenít associated with any of this, nor do you want to be, then who the hell are you to come here and lecture us on our Goddess?

All of my ideas about myself and God have come from me. All I claim is a direct relationship with my God. :-) And yes, I use 'God' interchangeably with 'Goddess', to mean the absolute. But don't take that the wrong way. I never impose my personal way of seeing on others. I understand and accept all the distinctions...Otherwise I couldn't have my own. ;-)

Oh I see now, this is all just stuff youíve made up in your head?  Thatís cool, do your thing.  Problem is, they arenít interchangeable in everyoneís ideal so just because it works for you does not mean it works for the rest of us, nor do we have to accept your personal definition.  It also means we can call you on it when you insult us.

If you remove yourself from your exclusively material/bodily ideas about Whores and Virgins, then you might discover a very broad spectrum of ideas and ethics behind those terms. For me, a (spiritual) whore is one who loves life in all its aspects, and sees beauty even in apparent ugliness. She desires everything. It is loosely a term for experience and lust for life. I'm not bothered what the dictionary says it means.

Again, YOUR definition and again one which I find highly insulting.  There are no spiritual definitions of whore.  NONE. As a woman to refer to any female as a whore, no matter how nicely you intend it is not acceptable.  It is an insult period.  You can try to spin it any way you like, it isnít going to change.  As a woman I find your comments highly insulting.  The Goddess is well known to love as you say and no one over the ages has needed to make her a whore except men who just cannot accept that a woman does not have to be a whore to be able to love unconditionally.

The Virgin is the other side of the coin, offering stability and focus; will power and mental strength. She is the purity that enables one to experience life without being corrupted by it...without becoming materially attached.
They are never apart, and are two sides of the same coin. Just like you can't have black without white. :-)
The Virgin and the Whore are the two polar aspects of the (Or my) Goddess. But as a united whole the Goddess is of course: Creator, Sustainer, Destroyer. :-)

Also, men can be virgins and whores both physically, mentally and spiritually. So bear that in mind if you've got your feminist glasses on. The Goddess is the ultimate player and lover; she can be associated with gender but personally I believe that she shouldn't be completely dragged down to human levels and judged on that basis. In my experience it just creates squabbles and conflicts. But I understand your misconceptions, and wanted to address them. :-)

I, have no misconceptions, I just refuse to accept your definition.  See you have made up these little ways to define something because, as it looks, you are the type of male who must, as the Covenant of Nicaea did, put women in the aspect of whore to be better able to deal with your own issues on women and sexuality.  Thatís ok.  Just donít presume to know more, be more or have more knowledge than others here.  I donít define my Goddess in insulting terms and whore in any language is an insult.   [/quote]

My Goddess is not about living a female or male lifestyle. She is about being her unfettered self.

Yeah, and thatís all very cool for you.  We all feel the same as that LAST line, however, we do not have to make our Goddess a whore to do so. 

OK Sparky, congratulations, it is rare for someone to make me this angry this early in the morning.  Letís throw your definitions in the trash where they belong and deal with some real definitions ok?  I mean after all, you are making things up, letís just take a few factsÖ.

Whore  noun \ˈhȯr, ˈhu̇r\
Definition of WHORE
: a woman who engages in sexual acts for money : PROSTITUTE; also : a promiscuous or immoral woman
: a male who engages in sexual acts for money
: a venal or unscrupulous person

OK so letís see, your definition does not seem to match.  So, I suggest you find better ways to refer to the Goddess or maybe not refer to her in that manner.  I mean after all, I can always say I meant to call you asshole as a term of endearment.  Right?

In any event, men thru the ages have tried to put the Divine Feminine in the aspect of the Whore.  Mary Magdalene is a prime example.  How do you rid yourself of a women quickly, call her a whore.  Queens have been dethroned and beheaded for such.  To continue in this vein is just continuing the disrespect men have had for women over the centuries.  So, Iím sorry, I find your definitions insulting and unacceptable.  I mean we strive to reflect our deity, so with your definition I should strive to be a whore.  Not acceptable.
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »

Trouble is, AA, that it is, in itself, not "offensive".

What it IS, is "PC".

There are words used all over the place that we "shan't use anymore"....Why?

The entire concept here has both religious and psychoanalytical roots.  These ARE the words used in the various subjective texts.  Even in the Bible, we see "the whore Babylon".  Granted, in some versions it is "harlot" and in others, "prostitute".  Are those terms any less offensive?  They mean almost the same thing...but the one word is more...shall we say...spot on?  There is a huge difference between a "whore" and a "ho".

But, in "this day and age" we can't say it because it is "offensive".

To that, I say HOOEY. 

I am on record as NOT being in favor of some of the coarser language TCC allows now that it didn't only a short time ago; but in the course of dialogue, legitimately pertinent descriptives are not, now, nor shall be, ever, considered "offensive".  And, as everyone knows, I AM WICCAN.  I do not consider MY G-ddess as one even remotely appropriative of such terminology, but if it is a word that requites someone else's, well...that is the issue of that believer.  Not me, not you, and full possibly of no one else here; but for that individual it remains appropriate.

As Wiccans we see our G-d described as "The Devil".  Is it offensive?  When hurled at us as an epithet, yes.  When used in an effort to understand our issues?  Hardly.  Face it, though, in a legal or analytical sense, their relationship could be considered incestuous.  IS it?  No.  Why?  Well...THAT is the subject of a BOOK, let alone a post...or even a thread on an internet message board.  To call our G-ddess a "whore", in the same manner, if it is solely an effort at understanding, remains harmless, as well.

I love you C_A but you cannot spin this into a positive.  It is NEVER EVER appropriate to refer to any female as a whore. PERIOD.

You know it and I know it. 
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 08:06:46 AM »

I love you C_A but you cannot spin this into a positive.  It is NEVER EVER appropriate to refer to any female as a whore. PERIOD.

You know it and I know it.

Same to you, K, but I am not trying to.  The OP, IMNHO, isn't calling anyone that.  As a descriptive of her deity, it's not "calling any woman" anything.  It is a device.  A NOUN, if you will.  Anyone can call, or label, or describe their envisionment, embodiment, archetype or even NAME howsoever they wish.

Some of them are "Baby Stealers"  or worse, EATERS!  Some are cows.  Or pomegranites.  Homosexuals.  Transgenders.  Sirens.  Titans.  Valkyrie.  Harpy.  Destroyers of Worlds / Creators-trices of the Universe.  Masters, slaves, fornicators, drunks, murderers and rapists...and while some are the ultimate embodiment of compassion, others are just plain jerks.  But, to the people that revere or revile them, worship or fear them, it is a personal attribute of the ethereal, and AS such, not the bailiwick of others to uplift or decry.

So...while it is NEVER appropriate to refer to any WOMAN that way, directly or referraly, in this instance and usage it is not the same thing.
ďIíve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me outĒ  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 08:20:59 AM »

Same to you, K, but I am not trying to.  The OP, IMNHO, isn't calling anyone that.  As a descriptive of her deity, it's not "calling any woman" anything.  It is a device.  A NOUN, if you will.  Anyone can call, or label, or describe their envisionment, embodiment, archetype or even NAME howsoever they wish.

Some of them are "Baby Stealers"  or worse, EATERS!  Some are cows.  Or pomegranites.  Homosexuals.  Transgenders.  Sirens.  Titans.  Valkyrie.  Harpy.  Destroyers of Worlds / Creators-trices of the Universe.  Masters, slaves, fornicators, drunks, murderers and rapists...and while some are the ultimate embodiment of compassion, others are just plain jerks.  But, to the people that revere or revile them, worship or fear them, it is a personal attribute of the ethereal, and AS such, not the bailiwick of others to uplift or decry.

So...while it is NEVER appropriate to refer to any WOMAN that way, directly or referraly, in this instance and usage it is not the same thing.

Potatoe - Potato

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »

Potatoe - Potato

I'm sorry, did I personally or intentionally attack you...or anyone else here? Don't think I did. So it doesn't really give you a right to be rude. You mostly got yourself angry. Why would I be out to attack womankind? What sense does that make..? I'm not so dense; I don't call anyone whores. I use it to describe certain aspects of life. Also, you're forgetting the Virgin aspect, which is the whole other half. They are never apart. So you're taking things out of context. Goddess is always whole.
I'm not concerned so much with the dictionary, as I said. I make my own definitions that feel appropriate to me. Maybe think of it a little like a black person reclaiming the 'N' word to empower themselves against hate. Also, if you read some books on feminist spirituality , there are women who use those terms for self-empowerment.
The soul's experiences are so diverse...it's too simple to call people just 'man' or 'woman'. I feel, due to my past that I have a natural right to empower myself with such terms. I don't see people as limited to their genders. It is of little consequence to me. However, in future I may be less liberal when sharing specific ideas.

I'm here to chat with others, and help people. To see the diverse nature of people.
 :-)

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »

I'm sorry, did I personally or intentionally attack you...or anyone else here? Don't think I did. So it doesn't really give you a right to be rude. You mostly got yourself angry. Why would I be out to attack womankind? What sense does that make..? I'm not so dense; I don't call anyone whores. I use it to describe certain aspects of life. Also, you're forgetting the Virgin aspect, which is the whole other half. They are never apart. So you're taking things out of context. Goddess is always whole.
I'm not concerned so much with the dictionary, as I said. I make my own definitions that feel appropriate to me. Maybe think of it a little like a black person reclaiming the 'N' word to empower themselves against hate. Also, if you read some books on feminist spirituality , there are women who use those terms for self-empowerment.
The soul's experiences are so diverse...it's too simple to call people just 'man' or 'woman'. I feel, due to my past that I have a natural right to empower myself with such terms. I don't see people as limited to their genders. It is of little consequence to me. However, in future I may be less liberal when sharing specific ideas.

I'm here to chat with others, and help people. To see the diverse nature of people.
 :-)

See here is the thing, I never said a word too you.  PERIOD.  I tend to quote whoever I am responding too.  Then you start telling me where I am wrong.  Maybe read your post.  I wasn't giving you a hard time hell I wasn't even talking to you untill you got all snarky and snotty.  You directed this towards be first.  Maybe you just need to learn how to write on a message board.

And again this smartass response is to something I said to C_A, not you.

You can make your own definitions all you want too. Anyone can.  We reserve the right to say you are as full if shit as a christmas turkey if we want. 

I'm a woman.  I personally find the term whore in relationsip to the Goddess or any female to be disgusting, insulting, and out of line.  See there, I PERSONALLY feel.

You want to sound all spiritual and holier than thou, above it all, but you don't.  You chose to engage in a comment that was never made towards you. You may feel that calling a female a whore is enpowering.  When you have a vagina your thoughts on female enpowerment will be taken more seriously.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »

A woman calling herself a B*tch is empowering (just ask Tabatha Coffey....she has a WHOLE definition for it, if I find it I'll post), calling oneself or a higher power a whore is NOT.

I KNOW that we are trying to understand the deeper meaning and that it is a way that you (Tresss) have "invented" to understand the relationship of the whole, but what exactly is wrong with the commonly accepted definition of that relationship? Mother/Daughter for example?

PERSONALLY, I felt attacked by this thread going from a discussion of stars in the night sky to a debate of what is an appropriate way to describe the Goddess or Universe. I didn't know about Jupiter & Venus and was enlightened. And then the W word got thrown in. I MAY have gone off half-cocked in my earlier post, and I apologize for it. I was seeing red because of the way I interpreted the comments about the Goddess being whore/virgin. I DO stand by the sentiment and thank Khara for helping to share that sentiment. I agree with C-A that there is A LOT of pc bs going on today, but in my mind, calling the Goddess a whore is the equivalent of calling a rape victim a slut or just yelling it at some woman passing by. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's how I feel. I have the RIGHT to feel the way that I do, sorry if that's offensive to anyone else.
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

It just seems strange to refer to the Lady/Goddess as a virgin or whore. I understand what you're TRYING to say, that they are one in the same, but PLEASE use different terminology. Referring to ANY woman, higher entity or not, is OFFENSIVE.

I RESPECT that you are still searching for "what your religion is", please RESPECT my religion. I am Wiccan and I find it offensive. I am FAR from being a feminist, but I feel disrespected to hear anyone say "The Goddess is either in virgin or whore form". Have you ever asked a woman if she was a virgin or whore? In my eyes, it's the same thing.

In the other thread, you REPEATEDLY ask WHY the Goddess is favored to the God, and we've given you SEVERAL reasons why. I applaud your search for the truth and where you belong religiously, but keep in mind we have ALL faiths represented here. What you may find offensive, others may not. There is a whole thread on THAT subject as well.

I apologize if I sound bitchy, but I get kinda defensive about my religion and when others find it acceptable to step on other people's religions or beliefs. Again, I RESPECT what you are trying to say, but PLEASE try to use other terminology to make your point. Mother/Child, or Sinner/Saint, etc. There are PLENTY of other options besides virgin/whore.

Hi alyceavary,

Thanks for at least trying to be understanding.
First of all, I am not searching for any religion. But that does not mean I don't respect others religions. I do.
Secondly, I think you got me mixed up with the other guy on that thread. I was mostly trying to help him see the equality of most Pagan divinities, despite an emphasis of Goddess. I was learning too though, as we all are. But he was the inquirer on that one.

I think I am amoral. Sorry, if that's offensive to you. I can't use sinner/saint because I don't see 'sin' as such. Whore can be either negative or positive to me, I don't see it as inherently bad. I never hurt others though; not even bugs!

Anyway, here's an example. Whore doesn't mean prostitute to me..hardly ever. Unless I transform its meaning to describe how I might for instance, offer myself freely to life. But mostly I use it to refer to extremities and intensities of life, chaotic principles, etc. The burning sun for example, or a strong wind, or a dilapidated building. These are beautiful to me.

Why should I change my terms? I don't ask you to do that. Just because I do not have a religion..it doesn't mean you have more of a right to be offended. I have fe, elings too. Maybe you should read about Kali worship in India... if I said I belonged to the cult of Kali (Death, etc.), would that afford me a status more worthy of respect than being a spiritual individual? Or would you be just as disgusted ?

tresss

• Meṁber
  • Pine
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

A woman calling herself a B*tch is empowering (just ask Tabatha Coffey....she has a WHOLE definition for it, if I find it I'll post), calling oneself or a higher power a whore is NOT.

I KNOW that we are trying to understand the deeper meaning and that it is a way that you (Tresss) have "invented" to understand the relationship of the whole, but what exactly is wrong with the commonly accepted definition of that relationship? Mother/Daughter for example?

PERSONALLY, I felt attacked by this thread going from a discussion of stars in the night sky to a debate of what is an appropriate way to describe the Goddess or Universe. I didn't know about Jupiter & Venus and was enlightened. And then the W word got thrown in. I MAY have gone off half-cocked in my earlier post, and I apologize for it. I was seeing red because of the way I interpreted the comments about the Goddess being whore/virgin. I DO stand by the sentiment and thank Khara for helping to share that sentiment. I agree with C-A that there is A LOT of pc bs going on today, but in my mind, calling the Goddess a whore is the equivalent of calling a rape victim a slut or just yelling it at some woman passing by. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's how I feel. I have the RIGHT to feel the way that I do, sorry if that's offensive to anyone else.

There was a book. 'whispers of the hag'. The author uses all or most of the derogatory language of women for empowerment.

There's nothing wrong with mother/child. I use it too. But it's got a different meaning to me.

It was not my intention to hijack this thread. :-) Didn't think this would happen. I wasn't going off topic as such. I wanted to relate Venus to me.
You have a right to be offended by the connottations of an English language dictionary definition. That's perfectly normal . But I am slightly offended by any implications that I insult my God. I never say I did, and I don't! :-)

But anyway, I won't bring this up anymore here.

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
  • Give the Gift of Love...Volunteer!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »

I'm going to slap the next person who apologizes here for having an opinion.  Okay, I won't slap anyone, but I will fantasize about it though. 

I have heard "the Goddess" referred to as a Whore or a Sacred Whore.  I admit that such a reference used to make me uncomfortable even though I knew the common definition of whore did not come into play.  The way Tresss explains it is very sensual and meaningful.  I get it.

So to Tresss and Alyceavary... Please do not stop posting your opinions even though others do not agree with your terminology or opinions.  You are valued here, at least by me.  No one should be afraid of or back off from posting because others disagree with them.
We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »

I'm going to slap the next person who apologizes here for having an opinion.  Okay, I won't slap anyone, but I will fantasize about it though. 

I have heard "the Goddess" referred to as a Whore or a Sacred Whore.  I admit that such a reference used to make me uncomfortable even though I knew the common definition of whore did not come into play.  The way Tresss explains it is very sensual and meaningful.  I get it.

So to Tresss and Alyceavary... Please do not stop posting your opinions even though others do not agree with your terminology or opinions.  You are valued here, at least by me.  No one should be afraid of or back off from posting because others disagree with them.

Yet you expect me too right? 

Oh yes, I'm that horrible terrible awful person who just won't go to the corner and behave.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:55:24 PM by Khara »

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »

I am posting the following from a website with a picture of a woman with her hand in her vagina.  So I am not post a link.  I am not posting this in arguement but because I rather enjoyed the article.   

Sacred and Profane:

The Whore in Context | By Eric Francis
Prostitution is said to be the oldest profession, so we may guess that there is a bit of confusion about its early history. But there are, at the moment, currents in our culture of something called sacred prostitution, and the fact of the sacred prostitute emerging, or reemerging. Usually a woman, she offers herself as the Way to the Goddess through erotic worship. I am Quaker. This is more fun than Sunday meeting. That is the whole issue.

She may be a tantrika (a practitioner of tantric sex, as taught -- not always by that name -- by the Taoists, the Tibetans or the Hindus, and their local successors). A tantrika sometimes does sessions with men centered entirely on conscious, mutually respectful erotic pleasure, aimed at increasing one's spiritual awareness, a concept that is uniquely outrageous to Christian theology. Tantrikas of varying degrees of skill are fairly easy to find on the Internet. She may be a massage therapist who grants what is politely called 'release' at the end of a bodywork session. She may be a nurse who, when privately bathing a paralyzed person, includes sexual gratification. She may be a sex writer who tells the truth. She may be a dominatrix, or dom, who provides a forum for what is called power exchange and allows men to be submissive in her presence. She may be a working prostitute who truly cares for and strives to heal the pain of her clients. She may be a social activist who teaches women to masturbate.

She is any woman who can surrender enough of her personal identity into an erotic experience that the Goddess may be experienced directly through her. In a society where God is purported to be a man, this is the issue.

You may recognize the sacred whore as the lover who does not put a bargaining value on her sexual favors. You may notice that she is unusually responsive to your specific needs for pleasure or comfort. You may know her as a woman who belongs to no man, but can offer herself freely to any person. The Berlin-based model, photographer and astrologer Maria Henzler, who for years has offered portraits of herself masturbating to readers of this publication, is a sacred whore (photo by Neal McDonough, above). Her photographs of men and women self-pleasuring are as stunning as her work as a model.

In summary, she is a woman who truly feels good about sexual pleasure, who understands and accepts that it is necessary, and who is not bound by the conventional rules of society. She is a woman who decides for herself when it comes to her own sexuality. Many, many women aspire to this, often secretly. Innumerable men want and need them. The derogatory stereotype of whore is often used as a cover story for men's inability to deal with their jealousy and habitual treatment of women as property. What men who play this game usually fail to notice is that they are prisoners of the same set of beliefs. But I have also seen many women balk at the possibility of their own freedom to choose. And as much as men are blamed for the sexual imprisonment of women, women do it to one another. One sexually free women among many who are using sex for its commodity value can cause a lot of trouble. Where sex has a value other than pleasure, one woman who conveys any other idea can spoil the whole game. Hence, as many or more women are as responsible for casting their sisters as whores as are men.

The ongoing emergence of the sacred whore is part of a long process of reclaiming of gender, sex and sexuality that has taken many forms in the past century, from women's suffrage (the struggle to have the vote) to the sexual revolution to gay rights. And yet we don't need to wrap pleasure in the garb of spirituality or politics to make it legitimate. Pleasure has a place unto itself. Whores know that, as do the people who associate with them. We would do well to question what the fuss about being a whore is in the first place. Do we have the privilege to sell or give away what is ours? Or does the fact that prostitution is illegal point to the deeper fact that what a woman has is not really hers?

Before we move onto the articles for this issue that were assigned, written and edited exclusively by the women contributors to Planet Waves -- I am seeing them for the first time tonight -- I think it would be a good idea to loosely define a few terms for the sake of clarity.

The word sacred, from the same root as sacrifice, means worthy of religious veneration, as opposed to profane, which means cast outside the temple. Interesting that the word venerate has as its root Venus, who is the goddess of love and the patron of courtesans. What is sacred and profane thus have a lot to do with who decides where the temple is, and who determines what's allowed in its doors. It's clear enough that the modern keepers of the mainstream temple don't have much use for women who make up their own minds about sex, except as people to beat on. This is a cause of much shame, humiliation and hypocrisy.

Sacred prostitution would be any form of allowing the ritual practice of sex to exist within the temple, that is, as part of spiritual worship or any form of healing. In the not-so-ancient temples of the Goddess, this was apparently considered normal practice. In the Greek city of Corinth, to whose people Paul wrote so many letters, there were a thousand temple priestesses working. In Greek mythology and in astrology, Hestia (Vesta in Roman myth) is their goddess; the Virgins, not virgins at all, were the keepers of the sacred flame, and served 'for a specific purpose'.

We might also consider the word whore. American Heritage features a prominent sidebar in its third edition dictionary, which says that the Indo-European root ka, to like or desire, is the source. "From the stem karo derived from this root came the prehistoric Common Germanic word horaz with the underlying meaning 'one who desires' and the effective meaning adulterer. From this word came the Old English word hore, the ancestor of Modern English whore. The same stem produced the Latin carus, 'dear', from which came Modern English caress, cherish and charity, the highest form of love." So remember that when you hear any of these words: they are all part of the same word group as whore.

"Contact with East Indian culture has added yet another pair of derivatives from this Indo-Eropean root to the English language," the editors continue. "From the stem kamo came the Sanskrit word kamah, 'love, desire', from which are derived the English borrowings Kama, 'the Hindu god of Love,' and Kamasutra, 'a Sanskrit treatise on the rules of love and marriage according to Hindu law'."

One last note. Christian teachings often confuse a number of different historical or mythological figures in the Bible with Mary Magdeline, who has become a modern patron saint of sacred whores. There is the 'sinful woman with the ointment' annointing Jesus, of Luke chapter 7, who shows up in all the gospels; we don't know what her sin was. There is no reference to link her to Mary from Magdeline in Luke chapter 8 or elsewhere, whose problem was merely having been possessed by seven devils. She becomes a disciple. Both are different than the 'adulteress caught in the very act' who appears only in John chapter 8, about whom Jesus made the famous comment about the person having no sin casting the first stone.

But sin means lack. And the sacred whore has returned to help us make up for that, to grant us an aspect of being unavailable from anyone else.

-- Bible research by Rose Michaelis
We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

The Pet Goddess

• Hawthorn
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »

Oh yes, I'm that horrible terrible awful person who just won't go to the corner and behave.

What I expect is that everyone here respect the opinions of others.  What I expect is not reading posts where others are told their opinons are offensive.  But, hey, I don't run this forum.

It would nice once in a while to have a civil conversation or exchange of ideas or opinions without all the backlash.  It seems you have nothing better to do Khara than find reasons to foam at the mouth.  One day you will realize that the only person you are fighting is yourself.  No one else gives a rat's ass.

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »

What I expect is that everyone here respect the opinions of others.  What I expect is not reading posts where others are told their opinons are offensive.  But, hey, I don't run this forum.

It would nice once in a while to have a civil conversation or exchange of ideas or opinions without all the backlash.  It seems you have nothing better to do Khara than find reasons to foam at the mouth.  One day you will realize that the only person you are fighting is yourself.  No one else gives a rat's ass.

You are truly correct!  It is all my fault.  I went off on the boy for no reason.  I specifically quoted him and got nasty with him for zero reason.  Well, I didn't but hey why worry over little things like the truth.  It's easier to say I started the whole thing.  You have it right there in a nutshell, as usual, you may lay 100000% of the blame on me.

Oh, btw, if I call you a whore but don't mean in any way but enpowering, is that cool with you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up