Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 26, 2014, 05:40:37 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: LINEAGED?  (Read 9848 times)

lucifer

• Ash
Re: LINEAGED?
« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »

Calling yourself "Lucifer" is just inviting hostility from Christians. So I'd suggest there may be underlying issues there.
Like the need to state your previous point in the first place. It's irrelevant within the context of this thread really.
If this wasn't already so far off from the original intent of this topic that noone could remember what it started out as, then that might be a valid point to make that it's irrelevent in the context...

but seeing as these threads seem to be very liquid in contextual form, I thought that I'd throw out there that it's irrelevent to classify (or exemplify) the people who call Crowley an ``evil-doing satan-worshipping'' nut as ``Christian (anything)''...
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »

I like Nubby... :-p  whatcha say lucifer?  I will be more than happy to change your handle for ya ;)
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »

Maybe "Nubbin"?
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »

The Great Beast was certainly a name Crowley chose for himself. In 1918, Crowley had adopted the name To Mega Therion, which means The Great Beast in Greek, and adds to 666, and, in an article in The International, he asked if any of his readers could find a word or phrase of similar meaning, in Hebrew, which would also add to 666.

He was himself no mean cabalist and had tried all sorts of Hebrew synonyms for "beast" but none of them added to anything like 666; yet the answer came in the mail - Tau, Resh, Yod, Vau, Nun, equal 666 - and it was signed Samuel bar Aiwas.

Aiwas is the Hebrew equivalent of Aiwass, and also adds to 93, the number of his Holy Guardian Angel.

"The Wickedest Man in The World" however was a tabloid headline which caught on. Penned to head the story told by the wife of one of his supplicants. She had absconded from the commune in Italy and it was that article and the resultant outcry in both nations against his hedonistic ways which led Mussolini to deport him and all his followers.

One really does need to wonder at the horror with which that community of the flesh must have aroused in the sheltered Sicilian villagers it was nestled amongst. They'd never seen an outsider and then when they did - what outsiders they were, eh?

That site, Thelema Abbey, is still quite a drawcard for Crowley fans and a few of his murals are still extant on the walls of one room.

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

serafina

« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »

Lucifer, doesn't your name have a place as the complement to Diana in the Strega religion?  That's what I figured, but I'm probably not typical.

serafina

« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »

Serpentium, I recall hearing that Crowley's  circle of friends had an unusually high rate of suicide and nervous breakdowns. Is this accurate? Thanks for calling me gently on my assumption that he was "Eeevil".  We have CM's and others who may feel differently{blush}.  Of all people, Witches should be real careful who we call "evil" before the facts are in eh?  But I still suspect he wasn't a swell fella....

Scorched Eartha, that stuff is REALLY interesting.  Thanks.

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »

Serpentium, I recall hearing that Crowley's  circle of friends had an unusually high rate of suicide and nervous breakdowns. Is this accurate? Thanks for calling me gently on my assumption that he was "Eeevil".  We have CM's and others who may feel differently{blush}.  Of all people, Witches should be real careful who we call "evil" before the facts are in eh?  But I still suspect he wasn't a swell fella....

Scorched Eartha, that stuff is REALLY interesting.  Thanks.
I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. If you stand next to a flame of that magnitude, you stand a real risk of being burned. It doesn't mean the flame is evil though. Just hot. I have yet to find one verifiable single act of Evil that can be attributed to Crowley. If he showed scant regard for the safety/sanity of others, it just shows he assumed they were aware of their own True Wills, (a point he was always very careful to emphasise to anyone he worked with) He truly was a visionary, and possessed of a singular and selfless mission to improve mankind's position in the grand scheme of things.

If he sometimes lost sight of the very people he was trying to 'share his dream' with, it was not through evil intent, but rather a lack of understanding of how huge a gulf there sometimes was between his vision, and the ability of others to share it. But his impact upon popular culture transcends (as it should) any stricture of morality we can place on it, and his influence upon just about every school of Occult knowledge was so huge, it still hasn't fully been assimilated.

But you are right on one thing, you couldn't really describe him as a very "nice" man. But then "nice" never achieved the kind of goals he set for himself. And those goals weren't concerned with self-aggrandisment, wealth/status or reputation. Rather, his characterisation of himself, and his shameless self promotion were just tools to help him achieve those goals. If he was doing it all for his own benefit, he would have fallen rather messily by the roadside, as a warning to all those who came after. We can see that towards the end of his life, he was plagued by doubt, and was constantly examining his motivation. A lesser man would have put off any such doubts long before death came knocking. And his last words, (allegedly) before giving up the ghost, were "I am perplexed". And even if that isn't true, it is fitting.

SE, In Crowley's "Diary of a Drug Fiend" (still the best book ever written on the nature of addiction) he fictionalises his ideal of himself with brutal honesty, (using at least three peripheral characters  ::)  ) and in the last third of the book, gives a working hypothesis of the "Abbey of Thelema", and the intent he had behind it's creation. Admittedly, it differs greatly in it's description from other accounts, but it does demonstrate beautifully the gulf between his own intent, and other's perceptions (or lack of) regarding his vision. A good read, anyway. I always found his 'fiction' far more instructive than his theory anyway.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »

Lucifer, doesn't your name have a place as the complement to Diana in the Strega religion?  That's what I figured, but I'm probably not typical.
As Lucifer, Son of the morning, it represents the rise and fall of the planet Venus, just before the dawn. This male/female dichotomy was consolidated in the "Androgene of Mendes", the blueprint for the "Baphomet" of the Templars. The "Horns" of the Christian Devil were a misunderstood reference to the shape that the rising and falling that Venus describes on the horizon. (in the Northern hemisphere)  Which is an arc, similar to a pair of horns.

serafina

« Reply #278 on: August 10, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »

Ah,  I assumed the horns had something to do with a Pagan fertility god a la Cernunnos.  This site is expanding my Outer Court parameters!  You know how the universe seems to send small gifts inexplicably your way when you first discover Paganism (Craft in my case)?  The most amazing,interesting info seems to come during an esoteric training period.  OK, so I did set up the situation by being on a Pagan site, but allow me my fantasies!

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »

Lucifer literally translates into "light-bringer" (or symbolically translates into "enlightening one").

The Strega do consider Diana & Lucifer to be the parents of Aradia, but in this context it's more likely that they're referring to Apollo (who was the Greek "light-bringer" [or enlightening one])

It is also a reference to Venus in the nightsky.

It's also been used as a reference to the Judeo-Christian angel of light (which is a misclassification?) who later becomes "Satan" (the antagonist of the Christian Bible).

I use it (mainly) for it's literal or symbolic translation described in line one: "light-bringer"
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #280 on: August 10, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »

How many Lucifers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, we have light a plenty, thanks very much. (Although one more bulb can't hurt)

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #281 on: August 11, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »

Lucifer although a few Strega traditions do include the Roman Lucifer in their pantheons the
majority of Italian Witches employ the names Diana and Dianus for their God and Goddess.
Diana has may other names by which she is known and worshipped among the Strega. Depending
upon the divininty desired, she may be called Tana, Losna, or Atimite. In some traditions she
also bears the name Jana. Likewise, Dianus is known by the names Tanus, Poloces (Pollux), or Janus. He is also called Cornunno--Latin for " the Horned One".
In Roman mythology Diana was the goddess of the moon and Lucifer the solar god.

I find the Strega very interesting and of considerable antiquity. The Strega say there must always be one to tend the campfire and perform the rituals season to season or Nature will withdraw
from humankind.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #282 on: August 11, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »

I am going to interject one thing here, and ONLY one.

ANYTHING listed as "La Vecchia Religione" or "Aradian" or "Arician" or in ANY way associated with that particular "auteur" or his ilk is on par with the scribblins of $RW.  Period.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »

Ok C_A
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Lark

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #284 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

All I can say to this is AMEN!!

I am going to interject one thing here, and ONLY one.

ANYTHING listed as "La Vecchia Religione" or "Aradian" or "Arician" or in ANY way associated with that particular "auteur" or his ilk is on par with the scribblins of $RW.  Period.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up